PDA

View Full Version : I am Gods child

MercyChild
Dec 11th 2008, 09:39 AM
I know this might sound a bit strange, but when accepting Jesus, I was told that I am than Gods child. It was hard for me to accept this, and even a little scary too. First thing that came to mind was my own biological father, and I wondered how long God will be in my life, as my own dad never sticked around very long, and was always so busy with his own life. I remeber how much I hated staying under one roof with him.
At first I thought it would be my obedience that determined wheter or not I would stay related to God. But soon came to realize that I am not saved by how I behave, but saved by how I believe. So I started to search the scriptures to find out more about my Father.......and oh was this amazing.

Understanding and receiving Gods unconditional love is foundational for all future growth. I don't have to do things so God will someday accept me. I am accepted by God competely as I am. My actions and works should be in response to God's love for me, not an attempt to earn His favour.

Joh 14:23 Jesus answered him, "Those who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will go to them and make our home with them. (GW)

Joh 1:12 However, he gave the right to become God's children to everyone who believed in him.
Joh 1:13 These people didn't become God's children in a physical way-from a human impulse or from a husband's desire to have a child. They were born from God.(GW)

Perhaps this does not make sense to all, but it sure did for me.

turtledove
Dec 11th 2008, 02:11 PM
Oh, yes, our God loves us and we are His children! My father died when I was only nine and my mother re-married a man who was abusive to us both. So after I accepted Christ (as a teen) I needed to realize that the love of the Father, who sent His son to die for my sins, was not the same as the love of my biological father (who left me through no fault of his own but nonetheless was gone) and my non-Christian step father.

God's love for His children is lasting, faithful, and full of mercy and acceptance. And that remains with me even now as I thank Him for being my "Abba Father" and continuing to show His love for me in many ways. Because of this, I can, like you, encourage others to know how our Father God loves them too!

Sharing this scripture:
"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" (l John 3:1a) (NIV)
:pp:pray:

EvangMike
Jan 21st 2009, 05:33 AM
How right these comments are - His love is constant! Thank God it never varies.

Every believer needs to understand that His love toward one of His own children can never change. His ability to forgive and cleanse us when we sin does not change either.

How often the Devil tries to get a believer to not forgive themselves when they sin - again - but I Jn. 1:9 is still in His Blessed Book! It says: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." He forgives because of Christ, and because He loves us still.

His love is not based on how we feel - or how little we feel at times. It is forever the same. It is us that are subject to changing emotions. But like our earthly sun which always shines the same above the clouds, His love remains constant though sometimes there are clouds present. And, by grace, we can have that same love flow through us toward others - as we let Him. (Ro. 5:5).

angelwind
Jan 22nd 2009, 10:58 PM
It took me years to find in Scripture the truth about the Father's love for His children. I was told by the first church I was in to dig up all my old memories about my natural father...then I could relate to my heavenly Father...what a horrible experience that turned out to be.

Then I began to read Scripture...the Truth...the focus began to change from a "me" centered view to a "God" centered view...what a difference.

Ephesians 1:2-6 These verses were so powerful in opening my understanding of my heavenly Father...He has chosen me before the foundation of the world...He predestined me to adoption as a "son"...to Himself by Jesus Christ...according to the good pleasure of his will...(just because He wanted to!!!!)...I often cry over these verses...thanking Him for my salvation.

Knowing Him better has given me strength to face circumstances that have been very difficult for me...praise the Lord.