PDA

View Full Version : Read the Bible in a year

thepenitent
Dec 12th 2008, 08:03 PM
I thought this topic would be appropriate since we are rapidly approaching the new year. Althogh I have long studied the Bible and read each book several times, until this year I had never read the Bible front to back like one would any other book. Last new year I decided to use one of those daily "read the Bible in a year" study plans to do just that. I must admit the experience has been VERY beneficial. Reading the Bible front to back gives one a new appreciation of the coherance of the Bible as a single story and really helps your understanding. It only takes about 15 to 20 minutes a day and what better daily devotion can their be than the word itself. I now intend to do this every year for the rest of my life and I highly recommend it to everyone who has never done so.

Your Church probably has a daily schedule to read the Bible in a year, and if not, you can find one on the net by doing a google search. If you have a study bible there is probably such a schedule in the front or back. I promise you a blessing if you keep it up all year. Merry Christmas and happy reading.

markedward
Dec 12th 2008, 08:34 PM
I thought this topic would be appropriate since we are rapidly approaching the new year.FASTER THAN EVERY BEFORE! ... Ahem.

I've tried to read the Bible "cover to cover" a few times... but it just was not ever helpful to me. I always got caught up in making sure I was able to read the whole thing that I never retained the information I was reading. It might work for some people, but read-it-in-a-year just doesn't work for me... I stick to reading certain books when they pique my interest. If I'm feeling really interested in Genesis, I'll read Genesis and study it. The next week I might really be interested in reading Daniel (again). And the next week I'll go back to studying the Laws. For me, my reading of the Bible is based more upon topics than books.

Ekeak
Dec 12th 2008, 09:55 PM
:) My family has been reading it on a four-year period, I think. We only have like 20 chapters left, and then it's complete. I haven't listened to every chapter, but I have enjoyed learning about the end times. Especially Zecheria. (I think that's how you spell it.)

mikebr
Dec 12th 2008, 09:57 PM
I'd be happy understanding what I have read.;)

matthew94
Dec 12th 2008, 11:34 PM
I think it is good, every once in a while, to read through the Bible in a year. But, personally, I wouldn't do it every year. I benefit more from slow methodical study of the Word.

karenoka27
Dec 13th 2008, 12:36 AM
I love reading through the Bible. However, I don't wait until January to start. I start when I finish. This year I read through it in six months. I have started again and this time I'm taking notes of things I didn't notice or really want to remember. Sometimes I have a question,so I write it down. I'm back in 1 Samuel again. I love the Word of God!

I think it is very beneficial. It shows me that man is no different today than he was way back then. Man's heart is deceitful above all else. We are wicked from birth. After reading through it, you have a greater appreciation for just why Jesus came to die for our sins.

Don't wait until January. Start today...just a thought.

thepenitent
Dec 13th 2008, 03:59 AM
I think it is good, every once in a while, to read through the Bible in a year. But, personally, I wouldn't do it every year. I benefit more from slow methodical study of the Word.

Since I teach two Bible study classes a week I still do close study and thorough exegesis of whatever books I am teaching. Reading straight through in a year only takes me 15 minutes a day which I usually do first thing in the morning with my first cup of coffee. It's my morning devotional.

karenoka27
Dec 13th 2008, 04:02 AM
Since I teach two Bible study classes a week I still do close study and thorough exegesis of whatever books I am teaching. Reading straight through in a year only takes me 15 minutes a day which I usually do first thing in the morning with my first cup of coffee. It's my morning devotional.
Amen! I love the Bible with my coffee in the morning as well!

Biastai
Dec 13th 2008, 05:07 AM
Its definitely a good habit to get going. I've been doing it for 3 years running, and it's been a big help. You'll be surprised at what you'll notice the next time through the book and wonder at times, "How did I not take note of that last time?" I've got the KJV lined up for 2009.

I'll offer some tips for what its worth. I've found it helpful to "take a break" in between the testaments by reading some literature reinforcing my knowledge of intertestamental history. Jumping 4 to 5 centuries from the OT to NT just felt awkward to me. Reading some of the books in a different order also may help. You may find that trying to rearrange the prophets in chronological order might keep a better flow (Isaiah and Jeremiah though consecutive books are separated by about 200 years). Moving the wisdom books to the end of the OT or doing the same with Ezra-Nehemiah-Esther were a couple things I've tried in the past. This type of thing may keep things fresh and also prevent your mind from unknowingly "closing up" when you're getting to a particularly boring book. Feel free to insert supplementary resources along your read through to lock the material into your brain more securely.

Of course, you must find the reading schedule that suits you personally. As with physical food, people vary in their "eating habits" with spiritual food as well. Personally, I feast voraciously without ceasing for several months and take months to "digest" the material (reading totally unrelated books during this time). Some need to eat the same amount everyday through the whole year (which is terribly ineffective for me). Either way you do it, its sure to be a blessing experience, and I definitely recommend every believer taking up this challenge. "Seek and ye shall find...!"