PDA

View Full Version : The word "hope"

Equipped_4_Love
Dec 13th 2008, 07:05 PM
I've sort of an odd question, but I value your input. It's regarding the word hope, as is used in the following passages and other Scripture:

Titus 2:13 ......looking for the blessed hope and appearing of our great God and saviour Jesus Christ

The apostle Paul refers to Jesus Christ as our blessed hope. Hope here refers to a confident expectation. I was not aware of this until I started studying the Scriptures...I always thought of the word hope implying something wishful and wantful...sort of like "I hope I get that raise," or "I hope this proposition passes." There is nothing confident nor expectant implied....It's more or less wishful thinking.

I guess my question is......why did the translators utilize the word hope here, and in other verses, when no implication of it's real meaning is really even in the word?
Moreover, is there a compatible Greek word that implies something wishful and wantful, as we in the western world use the word hope to define?

Has the implication of the word hope changed over the centuries since the Bible was translated? If so, what does that say about our culture? These days, it seems that we have no confidence in anything. We don't even have confidence in the truth....and some Christians don't even have confidence in Scripture as truth.

Does the difference in the implication of the word hope reflect the skepticism and lack of confidence that our culture has sunk into, or is it merely the best word they could find to express this sentiment?

It seems like there are other words that could have been used.

Yukerboy
Dec 13th 2008, 07:41 PM
It's all Greek to me... :rofl:

Seriously, G1679 and G1680 in the Strong's Concordance shows both being translated as hope. I don't quite get the difference either. Is one a hope as in wish and the other hope as in faith?

Everyplace that g1680 shows as Hope in the KJV, it is also Hope in the NIV.

However, g1679 shows as "hope" in 2 Cor 8:5 in the KJV and as "expected" in the NIV, yet it is translated as "trust" elsewhere in the KJV...

Faith is being sure of what you hope for and being certain of that which you do not see.

So, hope is not faith. Hope is what? Define hope.

I'm lost too.

Equipped_4_Love
Dec 13th 2008, 07:48 PM
It's all Greek to me... :rofl:

Excuse my French!!! ;)

Equipped_4_Love
Dec 13th 2008, 08:01 PM
Seriously, G1679 and G1680 in the Strong's Concordance shows both being translated as hope. I don't quite get the difference either. Is one a hope as in wish and the other hope as in faith?

Everyplace that g1680 shows as Hope in the KJV, it is also Hope in the NIV.

However, g1679 shows as "hope" in 2 Cor 8:5 in the KJV and as "expected" in the NIV, yet it is translated as "trust" elsewhere in the KJV...

Faith is being sure of what you hope for and being certain of that which you do not see.

So, hope is not faith. Hope is what? Define hope.

I'm lost too.

I think that hope in this sense is a confident expectation....knowing that something will come to pass. It is why hope brings endurance.

Ya....It's weird that you mention the newer translations, because it's as though the meaning of the word hope has been lost over the years, and they've had to change the wording to accomodate our interpretation of the word.

I use the King James translation, which was the original English translation, correct?

It's as though our culture has become so skeptical in recent years that the word hope (implying confident) has echoed skepticism, as well.

Are there other places in Scripture where "a desired feeling" is implied?

chal
Dec 13th 2008, 08:26 PM
The apostle Paul refers to Jesus Christ as our blessed hope. Hope here refers to a confident expectation. I was not aware of this until I started studying the Scriptures...I always thought of the word hope implying something wishful and wantful...sort of like "I hope I get that raise," or "I hope this proposition passes." There is nothing confident nor expectant implied....It's more or less wishful thinking.

I guess my question is......why did the translators utilize the word hope here, and in other verses, when no implication of it's real meaning is really even in the word?
Moreover, is there a compatible Greek word that implies something wishful and wantful, as we in the western world use the word hope to define?

chal> I don't see the problem with this translation.

elpis, Greek 1680, Strong’s
elpis, el-pece'; from a primary elpo (to anticipate, usually with pleasure); expectation (abstract or concrete) or confidence :- faith, hope.

Hope \Hope\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Hoped; p. pr. & vb. n.
Hoping.] [AS. hopian; akin to D. hopen, Sw. hoppan, Dan.
haabe, G. hoffen. See 2nd Hope.]
1. To entertain or indulge hope; to cherish a desire of good,
or of something welcome, with expectation of obtaining it
or belief that it is obtainable; to expect; -- usually
followed by for. "Hope for good success." --Jer. Taylor.
[1913 Webster]

But I will hope continually. --Ps. lxxi.
[1913 Webster]

Yukerboy
Dec 13th 2008, 11:15 PM
Then what is the difference between g1680 and g1679?

Ekeak
Dec 14th 2008, 01:42 AM
Hope can be either wishful thinking or confident expectation.