PDA

View Full Version : 1 Cor. 10:17

Equipped_4_Love
Dec 14th 2008, 12:59 AM
1 Cor. 10:17 For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread

I am going through the book of 1 Cor. right now, and writing down a series of study notes for myself - what I believe the Holy Spirit is revealing to me.

I came across this passage, and I'm hoping for some input, so that I know I'm on the right track. I think I remember that someone was saying that in that particular culture, eating with someone was considered a sacred thing, because both people were eating from the same dish, and likewise, putting the same food into their bodies. The meal, in a sense, united them physically.

I don't remember where I heard this, but I'm hoping that someone could clarify if this is true or not. If so, it would shed some new light for me on the concept of everyone partaking of one bread....How the Lord unites them into one body, physically as well as spiritually, and how sacred that unity is.

Any input, or even correction, would be valued.

Thanks so much!!!!

matthew7and1
Dec 14th 2008, 01:07 AM
I always interpreted this to mean that we are united by our belief and following of Christ. (who describes the bread at the last supper as his own flesh)
However, without a reference or source, culturally, my understanding is that you are assimilating the person you invite into your own family or inner circle or friends, or the particular group you dine with.
Not very detailed, just my generic understanding, I'm afraid....

Walstib
Dec 14th 2008, 03:51 AM
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.(Rev 3:20 NKJV)

Jesus is the Word is the bread from heaven, John 6 a good read...

Could consider these with your study, they came to my mind reading your post.

Peace,
Joe

SIG
Dec 14th 2008, 04:19 AM
1Cr 10:15 I speak as to wise men; you judge what I say.
1Cr 10:16 Is not the cup of blessing which we bless a sharing in the blood of Christ? Is not the bread which we break a sharing in the body of Christ?
1Cr 10:17 Since there is one bread, we who are many are one body; for we all partake of the one bread.
1Cr 10:18 Look at the nation Israel; are not those who eat the sacrifices sharers in the altar?
1Cr 10:19 What do I mean then? That a thing sacrificed to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything?
1Cr 10:20 {No,} but {I say} that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers in demons.
1Cr 10:21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.

I think Paul is saying here, as he did elsewhere: "But we have the mind of Christ."

Equipped_4_Love
Dec 14th 2008, 06:06 AM
I appreciate all of your responses, but I guess my original question was...when people ate together, wasn't it considered sacred?

Walstib
Dec 15th 2008, 04:10 AM
I appreciate all of your responses, but I guess my original question was...when people ate together, wasn't it considered sacred?

I hope this may be something closer to what you are asking. I don't usually post comentaries....

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible

"III. He confirms this from the Jewish worship and customs: Behold Israel after the flesh: are not those who eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar, that is, of the sacrifice offered upon it? Those who were admitted to eat of the offerings were reckoned to partake of the sacrifice itself, as made for them, and to be sanctified thereby; and therefore surely to worship God, and be in alliance or covenant with him, even the God of Israel, to whom the sacrifice was made: this was a symbol or token of holding communion with him."

---------------------------------------------------------------
John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

for we are all partakers of that one bread; in the supper, which is all of the same nature and kind, and is a symbol of the body of Christ, and our fellowship with him and each other. The application designed is this, that as believers, by partaking of the same bread, appear to be the same body, and of the same mass and lump with one another; so such as eat things sacrificed unto idols, appear to be of the same mass and lump with Heathen idolaters: Dr. Lightfoot has very pertinently produced some passages out of Maimonides, concerning mixing, associating, or communion of neighbours in courts on sabbath eves, that so they may enter into each other's houses on the sabbath day, for the illustration of this passage; of which mixing the Jews have a whole treatise in their Misna and Talmud, which they call Erubin; and of which they say (h).

"but how is this mixture or association? it is thus, they mix together, במאכל אחד, "in one food", which they prepare on the eve of the sabbath; and it is as if they should say, for we are all mixed together, and have all one food; nor does anyone of us divide the right from his neighbour--they do not mix in courts, but בפת שלימה "with a whole loaf" only; though the mass or lump baked may be the quantity of a "seah", yet if it is broken, they do not associate with it; but if it is whole, though it be but the value of a farthing, they mix with it--how do they mix or associate together in the courts? they collect הלה אחת שלימה, "one whole cake", out of every house, and put all in one vessel, in one of the houses of the court--and the whole association being gathered together, blesses the Lord--and eats:''

upon which the above learned writer observes, that if it were customary among the Israelites, to join together in one political or economical body, by the eating of many loaves collected from this, and that, and the other man; we are much more associated together into one body, by eating one and the same bread, appointed us by our Saviour.
(h) Maimon. Hilch. Erubin, c. 1. sect. 6, 8, 16.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Only the holy things which you have, and your vowed offerings, you shall take and go to the place which the Lord chooses. And you shall offer your burnt offerings, the meat and the blood, on the altar of the Lord your God; and the blood of your sacrifices shall be poured out on the altar of the Lord your God, and you shall eat the meat.(Deu 12:26-27 NKJV)

Then he washed his face and came out; and he restrained himself, and said, "Serve the bread." So they set him a place by himself, and them by themselves, and the Egyptians who ate with him by themselves; because the Egyptians could not eat food with the Hebrews, for that is an abomination to the Egyptians. (Gen 43:31-32 NKJV)

I think looking at times the people ate togeter in the OT shows the relationship.

Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High. (Gen 14:18 NKJV)

Then Jacob offered sacrifice upon the mount, and called his brethren to eat bread: and they did eat bread, and tarried all night in the mount. (Gen 31:54 KJV)

And Jethro, Moses' father in law, took a burnt offering and sacrifices for God: and Aaron came, and all the elders of Israel, to eat bread with Moses' father in law before God. (Exo 18:12 KJV)

Peace,
Joe

Equipped_4_Love
Dec 15th 2008, 06:48 AM
Thansk so much, Walstib. That clarifies a lot!!!!

Biastai
Dec 15th 2008, 07:33 AM
1 Cor. 10:17 For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread

I am going through the book of 1 Cor. right now, and writing down a series of study notes for myself - what I believe the Holy Spirit is revealing to me.

I came across this passage, and I'm hoping for some input, so that I know I'm on the right track. I think I remember that someone was saying that in that particular culture, eating with someone was considered a sacred thing, because both people were eating from the same dish, and likewise, putting the same food into their bodies. The meal, in a sense, united them physically.

I don't remember where I heard this, but I'm hoping that someone could clarify if this is true or not. If so, it would shed some new light for me on the concept of everyone partaking of one bread....How the Lord unites them into one body, physically as well as spiritually, and how sacred that unity is.

Any input, or even correction, would be valued.

Thanks so much!!!!

The breaking of the bread became the distinct act of worship of the apostolic age. It was a much repeated act done in remembrance of Jesus throughout Acts. When done by Jesus, it was always described in three actions: blessing of, breaking of, and giving of the bread.

"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to his disciples to set before the people. He also divided the two fish among them all."
Mark 6:41 Jesus feeds the 5000

"While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, 'Take it; this is my body.'"
Mark 14:22 Last supper

"When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight."
Luke 24:30,31 After the resurrection, Jesus appears to his disciples

The Lukan passage is especially notable because they recognized him only after he had done this act. He was remembered through this act by those closest to him, and this in turn made the act so special. This is why Paul was so upset that the Corinthians' "Lord's supper" set a rift between the rich and poor members of their church.

"For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, 'This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.' In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself."
1 Corinthians 11:23-29