PDA

View Full Version : Translation question

Brother Mark
Dec 14th 2008, 02:02 PM
Most modern translations translate certain verbs into past tense instead of present tense. For instance...

John 21:20-21

20 Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them; the one who also had leaned back on His bosom at the supper and said, "Lord, who is the one who betrays You?"
NASU

The word "saw" is really "seeing" in the Greek. Does anyone know of a modern translation that actually translates the verbs like this in the present instead of past tense? I would like to have a modern version to read that translated the words like this one into present tense when the Greek is in present tense.

Thanks,

Mark

mikebr
Dec 14th 2008, 02:11 PM
20 Now Peter, being turned about, is observing the disciple whom Jesus loved, following, who leans back also on His chest at the dinner and said to Him, "Lord who is it who is giving Thee up?"
21 Peter, then, perceiving this one, is saying to Jesus, "Lord, yet what of this man?"

Brother Mark
Dec 14th 2008, 02:13 PM
What translation is that Mike?

mikebr
Dec 14th 2008, 02:18 PM
What translation is that Mike?

Concordant Literal New Testament. I don't know anything about it but it does deal with tenses. I had heard that it was a literal translation so I googled it and this is what I found. May be of the Devil?:D

Here's another example:

5 Jesus answered, "Verily, verily, I am saying to you, If anyone should not be begotten of water and of spirit, he can not be entering into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is begotten by the flesh is flesh, and that which is begotten by the spirit is spirit.

Diolectic
Dec 14th 2008, 03:41 PM
Concordant Literal New Testament. I don't know anything about it but it does deal with tenses.
I LOVE that translation!
Here is a nother good one:
Joh 21:20 And Peter, having been turned around, sees the disciple whom Jesus was loving following, who also reclined in the dinner on His breast and said, "Lord, who is the one betraying You?" [John 13:25]
:21 Peter having seen this one, says to Jesus, "Lord, but what [about] this one?"
ALT:
Analitical Literal translation

Clay Blucher
Dec 14th 2008, 07:30 PM
Most modern translations translate certain verbs into past tense instead of present tense. For instance...

John 21:20-21

20 Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them; the one who also had leaned back on His bosom at the supper and said, "Lord, who is the one who betrays You?"
NASU

The word "saw" is really "seeing" in the Greek. Does anyone know of a modern translation that actually translates the verbs like this in the present instead of past tense? I would like to have a modern version to read that translated the words like this one into present tense when the Greek is in present tense.

Thanks,

Mark

If you can read the Greek then you should know that it is acting as an historical present, negating any problem. You don't need a translation to translate it as present since it would been understood as referring to a past historical event. There is a thing as having too wooden of a translation, which would make reading the Bible unreadable.

Brother Mark
Dec 14th 2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks Mike and Diolectic. I'll have to check those translations out. I really enjoy reading in the present tense as it seems to take my imagination right there!

kenrank
Dec 15th 2008, 06:36 AM
I LOVE that translation!
Here is a nother good one:
Joh 21:20 And Peter, having been turned around, sees the disciple whom Jesus was loving following, who also reclined in the dinner on His breast and said, "Lord, who is the one betraying You?" [John 13:25]
:21 Peter having seen this one, says to Jesus, "Lord, but what [about] this one?"
ALT:
Analitical Literal translation

Young's Literal says it that way too. Though it isn't exactly a "modern" version.
Ken

HisLeast
Dec 15th 2008, 06:35 PM
Slightly off topic:
How far is modern Greek from the Greek used in the oldest New Testament texts?