PDA

View Full Version : As I struggle...

Gulah Papyrus
Dec 15th 2008, 07:19 PM
...to quit smoking I wonder if people who work for the tobacco companies are sinning by earning a paycheck peddling cancer sticks.

Your thoughts?

Kahtar
Dec 15th 2008, 07:42 PM
Hmmm. Sin is the breaking of God's law. I don't recall anything about 'thou shalt not manufacture nor sell tobacco products.'

Gulah Papyrus
Dec 15th 2008, 07:46 PM
Even though they know that it is addicting and causes numerous health problems and death?

Kahtar
Dec 15th 2008, 07:48 PM
Yep. What was it Paul said, 'All things are permisible. Not all things are expedient' (paraphrased).

matthew7and1
Dec 15th 2008, 07:51 PM
Would you also argue that the bible permits the selling of cocaine, etc?

Kahtar
Dec 15th 2008, 08:01 PM
Would you argue that the Bible disallows the selling of cocaine? If so, please provide the scriptures.
(That is not to say I would condone doing any of the above......)

divaD
Dec 16th 2008, 01:40 AM
...to quit smoking I wonder if people who work for the tobacco companies are sinning by earning a paycheck peddling cancer sticks.

Your thoughts?

Why do you find it a struggle to quit smoking? Why don't you just quit and be done with it? I'm speaking from experience here, so I'm not telling you to do something that is impossible.

I used to smoke a pack or so a day. One day I simply decided to quit smoking for good. I haven't smoked since. To give an idea how long ago that was, when I quit smoking, cigarettes were 65 cents a pack. The same way with pot. I used to be a bigtime pothead, I started smoking in the early 70s. In Oct 1985 I decided I didn't want to smoke anymore of it, so I abruptly quit just like that. I have not smoked any weed since that day in 1985 nor will I ever again. Why? Because I quit and I meant it. No struggling to deal with. It's not as hard to do as you think. It only becomes hard to do when you really don't do it. Also, I didn't mean to get off topic, but when I saw that word 'struggle'...oh well.

Ayala
Dec 16th 2008, 01:47 AM
That's great that you were able to drop smoking so easily...Others arent always so fortunate. The fact of the matter is that nicotine's addictive properties are on-par with that of heroin. I still fight having a smoke so I can sleep at night.

Would you also argue that the bible permits the selling of cocaine, etc?

Cocaine is illegal...Therefore, manufacturing or selling it would be going against the Lord's command to submit to government. I do not agree with the use of cocaine at all, be it legal or not, but I only answer by the context of your question.

SIG
Dec 16th 2008, 04:05 AM
You can be sure people who work for tobacco companies are sinning--a trait they have in common with everyone but Jesus.

diffangle
Dec 16th 2008, 04:37 AM

Your thoughts?
My father is in the hospital right now with emphysema at the age of 59 and not doing very well at all. This past year his brother, sister, and mother all passed away from the same thing. I hate cigarettes and can't understand what makes them worthy of being legal, they have no medical benefits... yet marijuana which does have medical benefits is illegal... go figure!

Gulah Papyrus
Dec 16th 2008, 06:07 AM
Why do you find it a struggle to quit smoking? Why don't you just quit and be done with it? I'm speaking from experience here, so I'm not telling you to do something that is impossible.

I used to smoke a pack or so a day. One day I simply decided to quit smoking for good. I haven't smoked since. To give an idea how long ago that was, when I quit smoking, cigarettes were 65 cents a pack. The same way with pot. I used to be a bigtime pothead, I started smoking in the early 70s. In Oct 1985 I decided I didn't want to smoke anymore of it, so I abruptly quit just like that. I have not smoked any weed since that day in 1985 nor will I ever again. Why? Because I quit and I meant it. No struggling to deal with. It's not as hard to do as you think. It only becomes hard to do when you really don't do it. Also, I didn't mean to get off topic, but when I saw that word 'struggle'...oh well.

Congratulation?:confused

Why do i struggle? Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nicotine addiction?

crossnote
Dec 16th 2008, 06:40 AM

Your thoughts?

If they are then I am sinning driving a diesel truck. I don't even have to peddle (maybe pedal) my wares; I give away free of charge plenty of carcinogenic fumes

threebigrocks
Dec 17th 2008, 02:02 AM
If they are then I am sinning driving a diesel truck. I don't even have to peddle (maybe pedal) my wares; I give away free of charge plenty of carcinogenic fumes

Actually - diesel burns cleaner than regular unleaded gasoline. ;) You're good!

Whispering Grace
Dec 17th 2008, 02:09 AM

Your thoughts?

It's still your choice to smoke, is it not?

Are workers at McDonalds sinning by cranking out those addictive Big Macs and french fries day after day?

I can't understand how they would be sinning by making a product that is legal and that no one is forced to use.

markedward
Dec 17th 2008, 05:55 AM
Hmmm. Sin is the breaking of God's law. I don't recall anything about 'thou shalt not manufacture nor sell tobacco products.'I'd consider it as being under the part of "Do not kill". Such people are wantonly creating, packaging, marketing, and profiting off of something that does nothing except kill the person who uses it. They make money by seducing and killing people through a little box filled with chemicals that, when ingested otherwise, could kill a person in no-time at all. They don't care about their customers, they hold no value for life, and they most certainly don't care if the people giving them money keel over as a result of the product they're making.

When you take away all of the semantics and build-up, when you really get right down to it, all they're doing is selling death.

Just because smoking is a "choice" doesn't suddenly mean the manufacturers are clean of any wrongdoing.

Are workers at McDonalds sinning by cranking out those addictive Big Macs and french fries day after day?Big Mac's aren't "addictive". If anyone gets addicted to them, it's because they like the taste and have no self-restraint. On the other hand, cigarettes and the like, do contain chemicals that are addictive: the body's regular workings are altered by the chemicals and quickly adapts to them, then freaks out when it doesn't get enough. No one's pouring nicotine into the cooking grease for burgers. Cigarettes, on the other hand...

angel_fire
Dec 17th 2008, 06:15 AM
I cant blame the Cigarette Companies for my stupidness. I was young, and my tiny arms reached out and grabbed something I should have not grabbed.
My Dad smoked, so I wanted to be like Dad. That was 31 years ago. I was nine, and I bought my own cigs with my lunch money. .28 cents a pack!!! I bought them myself, no questions asked!!! That was normal back then, and widely accepted.
Our High School had Cigarette Machines in them, and we had our own Smoking Area!!!
You could smoke in Stores, Malls, and even in the Hospitals!!!! Anywhere, and everywhere!!! We could freely smoke!!!

Quiting anything is hard, you must have the right mind set. Millions have quit smoking. I have quit many times, only to start back up again. But the main thing is, never give up!!! :hug:
Pray About it!!!!

diffangle
Dec 17th 2008, 02:50 PM
[quote=markedward;1908672]I'd consider it as being under the part of "Do not kill". Such people are wantonly creating, packaging, marketing, and profiting off of something that does nothing except kill the person who uses it. They make money by seducing and killing people through a little box filled with chemicals that, when ingested otherwise, could kill a person in no-time at all. They don't care about their customers, they hold no value for life, and they most certainly don't care if the people giving them money keel over as a result of the product they're making.

When you take away all of the semantics and build-up, when you really get right down to it, all they're doing is selling death.

Just because smoking is a "choice" doesn't suddenly mean the manufacturers are clean of any wrongdoing.

I totally agree! :(

Big Mac's aren't "addictive". If anyone gets addicted to them, it's because they like the taste and have no self-restraint. On the other hand, cigarettes and the like, do contain chemicals that are addictive: the body's regular workings are altered by the chemicals and quickly adapts to them, then freaks out when it doesn't get enough. No one's pouring nicotine into the cooking grease for burgers.

Big Macs are addicting, they contain msg which is a chemical many people get addicted to. Msg and aspertame(excitotoxins) should be illegal along with cigarettes. Personally I wouldn't work for McDonald's or the cigarette companies.

reformedct
Dec 17th 2008, 09:09 PM
i don't believe cigarrettes kill people

people kill people

people kill themselves

ciggarrettes are a means by which you could kill yourself by smoking too many

if i decided to smoke one ciggarrette a year am i in sin?

if it is a sin to intake something based on its health effects, we must then say

Eating fried chicken is sin or very close to it, all that fat is bad for ya!
Fast food is a sin

Candy is a sin (way more bad than good)

i believe addiction to anything but God is sinful

i struggle with declaring smoking ciggarretes in of itself to be sin.

Maybe i am ignorant? someone please help me out with scripture

Lee-Roy
Dec 18th 2008, 12:15 AM
Lots of people on this board want to quit smoking. I agree it is a hard habit to break.