PDA

View Full Version : What does “Like Faith” mean?

Samsheep2
Dec 16th 2008, 09:36 PM
What does “Like Precious Faith” mean?
Within the last 50 years or less we have seen a number of changes take place within the local churches of like faith. There are two main religious groups out there; one makes up the scattered believers all over this world of like precious faith. The other group is a mixture of everything under the sun that is now trying to get “ALL FAITHS” together, as I said, there have been some changes in the last 50 years, drastic, unscriptural, and divisive changes.

My motive for starting this is not to argue but out of curiosity as to how many of 'us' in here are of like precious faith. Of course I'm not advocating 'exact' but 'like' - since all are def. not on the same spiritual plane.

Thanks, Sam

mikebr
Dec 16th 2008, 09:41 PM
Within the last 50 years or less we have seen a number of changes take place within the local churches of like faith. There are two main religious groups out there; one makes up the scattered believers all over this world of like precious faith. The other group is a mixture of everything under the sun that is now trying to get “ALL FAITHS” together, as I said, there have been some changes in the last 50 years, drastic, unscriptural, and divisive changes.

My motive for starting this is not to argue but out of curiosity as to how many of 'us' in here are of like precious faith. Of course I'm not advocating 'exact' but 'like' - since all are def. not on the same spiritual plane.

Thanks, Sam

Are you of the impression that the church hasn't changed except in the last fifty years? What about the first 50 years of its existence?

Now I agree with your premise but I believe that there has always been a remnant of scattered believers.

Friend of I AM
Dec 16th 2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks, Sam

Hey Sam,

Here's some scripture that might help you out...

2 Peter 1:1-6
Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

I would say that the verses above essentially speaks for themselves. What Peter explains above should be representive of like faith. Here's another excert from the Apostle Paul which may help you understand better..

Galations 5:23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Based on the nature and subject of your post above..it looks like you were one of the people that Peter was speaking of regarding having faith like himself and the other disciples.

Samsheep2
Dec 16th 2008, 09:54 PM
Are you of the impression that the church hasn't changed except in the last fifty years? What about the first 50 years of its existence? No, not at all and that was not my intention - I used 50 simply because there has been a more def. change than prior to then. Even as a child I can recall the average sinner had better convictions than the average church goer of today. But I assure you the first 50 were nothing as far as change like we've seen today. You realize the first 50 say from Acts chapter one A.D. 33 to say along about the time right before John was exiled to the Isle of patmos - and if you will study you may agree with Paul as to what he said in 1 Cor.4:17.

Now I agree with your premise but I believe that there has always been a remnant of scattered believers. Oh, no doubt about that at all but to me the scattered ones of the early church (first 50 years) was not for the same reasons as in this Laodicean age - know what I mean!!!

Thanks, Sam

Samsheep2
Dec 16th 2008, 10:00 PM
Hey Sam, Here's some scripture that might help you out... Hi friend, and thanks for the passage you posted.

I would say that the verses above essentially speaks for themselves. What Peter explains above should be representive of like faith. Here's another excert from the Apostle Paul which may help you understand better../[quote] Again I say thanks and yes I do understand.

[quote]Based on the nature and subject of your post above..it looks like you were one of the people that Peter was speaking of regarding having faith like himself and the other disciples. And you also;...

Thanks Sam,

theBelovedDisciple
Dec 17th 2008, 12:51 AM
Hey Sam,

Here's some scripture that might help you out...

2 Peter 1:1-6
Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

I would say that the verses above essentially speaks for themselves. What Peter explains above should be representive of like faith. Here's another excert from the Apostle Paul which may help you understand better..

Galations 5:23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Based on the nature and subject of your post above..it looks like you were one of the people that Peter was speaking of regarding having faith like himself and the other disciples.

Good post and Scripture References...

I believe His own have 'like precious faith'... the Spirit bearing witness with our spirits... and also the 'fruit' of the Spirit being manifested...

was this out of their own works or own doings? no...

Look what Peter says... having 'obtained'... something that was given to them.. how.. thru the Righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus the Christ... note that its thru God's Righteousness... the Righteousness of God who is Jesus the Christ Himself.. God manifest in the flesh..... He is the Gift of Righteousness.. His perfect walk on this earth and His Redeeming and Atoning Completed work on that bloody tree.. belief in that for the redemption of sins... thru His blood....

I also believe His own.. are scattered through out this planet.... strangers is what he calls them.. strangers on this planet as their 'inheritance and final residence' will be in Heaven...

Look at what Peter says in this verse... and then It goes onto election.. and the foreknowledge of God

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,

I honestly believe that 'like precious faith' is very strong.. its that faith that carries you thru when all hell breaks loose, when everything collapses... its that faith that carries you thru when you fail miserably.. yet understand and 'know' that God is always faithful.. and that He 'still' loves you and forgives you....

its that faith that will carry you thru to the end.... that faith that gives you the strength to 'believe' in that last hour... that faith that will be with you when your about to take your last breath in your flesh....

that faith that will be with you until you see your Redeemer face to face.. and you hear the Words from His mouth..

Welcome Home My child............ all that I have is yours... behold the Glory of God.....

Br. Barnabas
Dec 17th 2008, 02:24 PM

Thanks, Sam

My question would be what does "Like Precious Faith" believe? What are the basic tenants of this "faith?" Only place that I have heard of these types of terms used where in the Missionary Baptist Churches. So I would ask that you define the terms that you are using.

Samsheep2
Dec 17th 2008, 03:44 PM
My question would be what does "Like Precious Faith" believe? Not to seem frivolous but it believes all that the Holy Spirit reveals to a believer.

What are the basic tenants of this "faith?" Uriel, I have no way of knowing 'intent' for this but to be honest one would have to say in answer to this the NT first and foremost - then when rightly divided one would have to say the Epistles written after Pentecost. Then one would have to 'zero' in on what Jude states in:

Jude 1:3-4 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. Why there are even some in here no doubt, that is if one understands the context, the words and esp. what God's grace is and what He thinks lasciviousness is.

Of course Peter takes this a step further in:2 Peter 1:1-6, Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; You realize that there are books written about these six passages therefore the story goes on as we grow in the nurture and grace of our LORD.

Only place that I have heard of these types of terms used where in the Missionary Baptist Churches. I gather from the way you word this part you do not attend that church - but maybe visited or read/her. Any way we are off and running!!! (grin)

Br. Barnabas
Dec 17th 2008, 05:59 PM
Not to seem frivolous but it believes all that the Holy Spirit reveals to a believer.

Well that is a lot of stuff. What I am asking is can you sum it up a bit. Like when someone askes me what I believe I can point to the Apostles and Nicene Creed and the 39 Articles of Religion, form the Anglican Church. That is what I am asking for. Is this "Like Precious Faith" something that can be summed up by saying it is the Gospel Message or something like that.

Uriel, I have no way of knowing 'intent' for this but to be honest one would have to say in answer to this the NT first and foremost - then when rightly divided one would have to say the Epistles written after Pentecost. Then one would have to 'zero' in on what Jude states in:

Jude 1:3-4 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. Why there are even some in here no doubt, that is if one understands the context, the words and esp. what God's grace is and what He thinks lasciviousness is.

Of course Peter takes this a step further in:2 Peter 1:1-6, Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; You realize that there are books written about these six passages therefore the story goes on as we grow in the nurture and grace of our LORD.

Ok but what faith or beliefs are Jude and Peter talking about. Is it the Gospel Message or is it certain things that some Christian Chruches do or believe.

I gather from the way you word this part you do not attend that church - but maybe visited or read/her. Any way we are off and running!!! (grin)

I do not attend a Missionary Baptist Church but did attend a Bible study that they hosted when I was at University. Even though I am a Christians and believe what the above Creeds say, which is a summary of the NT and OT message, because I did not attend a Missionary Baptist Church I was not allowed to be a full member of the Bible Study because I did not attend/a member of a church of "like faith" or one that their church would fellowship with. So from my experience the groups that usually use the "like faith" phrase are very inclusive and unwilling to accept other churches or Christians that do not believe exactly what they do or go where they go.

Interesting side note to be a member of the Bible study we all had to share our testamony. That night I listened to 8 testamonies (including my own). My testamony was the only one to include Jesus in it. Everyone else talked about how they felt contvicted and then when up to the alter and cried and then they were saved. Don't get me wrong, because many of them are very Godly men and women and do believe Jesus to be God and that he died for our sins and the rest of the Gospel Message, but that is not a testamony or how salvation works that is getting over the fact that you are a sinner. Jesus has to be involved for someone to be saved/become a Christian. Sorry for the random side note just an interesting story, about my experience.

Samsheep2
Dec 17th 2008, 06:54 PM
Well that is a lot of stuff. What I am asking is can you sum it up a bit. Like when someone askes me what I believe I can point to the Apostles and Nicene Creed and the 39 Articles of Religion, form the Anglican Church. That is what I am asking for. Is this "Like Precious Faith" something that can be summed up by saying it is the Gospel Message or something like that. Uriel, I appreciate your interest and since this word 'faith is found 229 times in the NT and all those times not meaning the same thing I ask you to allow me to start with 'THE FAITH" as used first in:
Acts 6:7 And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith. Then second in Acts 13:8 But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith. Acts 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God. Acts 16:5 And so were the churches established in the faith, and increased in number daily. Acts 24:24 And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ. If you will notice each of these times 'the faith' is mentioned we see it not as attached to a particular denomination like so many of today but too the true churches of God. From this we jump to Jude V3, simply because they are the ones he refers too in this passage:
Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. What this is we know of because it came to us via the LORD Jesus Christ and is discussed by bro. John Gill and I couldn't say it better:
...by the "faith" is meant the doctrine of faith, in which sense it is used whenever faith is said to be preached, obeyed, departed, or erred from, or denied, or made shipwreck of, or when exhortations are made to stand fast, and continue in it, or to strive and contend for it, as here; and which is sometimes called the word of faith, the faith of the Gospel, the mystery of faith, or most holy faith, the common faith, and, as here, faith only; and designs the whole scheme of evangelical truths to be believed; such as the doctrine of the Trinity, the deity and sonship of Christ, the divinity and personality of the Spirit; what regards the state and condition of man by nature, as the doctrines of the imputation of Adam's sin to his posterity, the corruption of nature, and the impotence of men to that which is good; what concerns the acts of grace in the Father, Son, and Spirit, towards, and upon the sons of men; as the doctrines of everlasting love, eternal election, the covenant of grace, particular redemption, justification by the imputed righteousness of Christ, pardon and reconciliation by his blood, regeneration and sanctification by the grace of the Spirit, final perseverance, the resurrection of the dead, and the future glory of the saints with Christ. This is said to be "delivered to the saints": it was delivered by God the Father to Christ as Mediator, and by him to his apostles, who may more especially be meant by "the saints", or holy men; who were chosen to be holy, and to whom Christ was made sanctification, and who were sanctified by the Spirit of God; and this faith, being a most holy faith, is fit for holy men, and only proper to be delivered to them, and preached by them; and by them it was delivered to the churches, both by word and writing; [making up the Epistles for the church and of corse along with the gospels and the OT.] and this delivery of it supposes that it is not an invention of men, that it is of God, and a gift of his, and given in trust in order to be kept, held forth, and held fast; and it was but "once" delivered, in opposition to the sundry times and divers manners in which the mind of God was formerly made known; and designs the uniformity, perfection, and continuance of the doctrine of faith; there is no alteration to be made in it, or addition to it; no new revelations are to be expected, it has been delivered all at once: and therefore should be "earnestly contended for"; for could it be lost, another could not be had; and the whole of it is to be contended for; not only the fundamentals, but the lesser matters of faith; and not things essential only, but also what are circumstantial to faith and religion; every truth, ordinance, and duty, and particularly the purity of faith, and its consistency: and this contention includes a care and solicitude for it, to have it, own it, and hold it fast, and adorn it; and for the preservation of it, and for the spread of it, and that it might be transmitted to posterity: and it denotes a conflict, a combat, or a fighting for it, a striving even to an agony: the persons to be contended with on account of it, are such who deny, or depreciate any of the Persons in the Godhead, the assertors of the purity and power of human nature, and the deniers of sovereign, efficacious, and persevering grace: the persons who are to contend with them are all the saints in general, to whom it is delivered; which they may do by bearing an experimental testimony to it, by praying for the continuance and success of it, by standing fast in one spirit in it, and by dying for it; and particularly the ministers of the Gospel, by preaching it boldly, openly, fully, and faithfully, by disputing for it, and writing in the defence of it, and by laying down their lives, when called for: the manner in which this is to be done, is "earnestly", heartily, in good earnest, and without deceit, zealously, and constantly. I hope that helps to answer your inquiry.

Samsheep2
Dec 17th 2008, 07:11 PM
I do not attend a Missionary Baptist Church but did attend a Bible study that they hosted when I was at University. Even though I am a Christians and believe what the above Creeds say, which is a summary of the NT and OT message, because I did not attend a Missionary Baptist Church I was not allowed to be a full member of the Bible Study because I did not attend/a member of a church of "like faith" or one that their church would fellowship with. So from my experience the groups that usually use the "like faith" phrase are very inclusive and unwilling to accept other churches or Christians that do not believe exactly what they do or go where they go. Friend, seeing as I am not familiar with the church you speak of I can say not all baptist churches believe alike, operate alike or fellowship alike - and that's a long story. But let's say i was the pastor and you as an Anglican came to visit us. And sat in our SS class/bible study - you continued to come and to the point that you asked a question (which we allow in SS/bible study time) but not during the worship hour - I would not disassociate our church from you in that sense but if later when I visited you and your beliefs are not the same as ours about bible salvation then we would not allow you or anyone else to become a member until we were satisfied with your experience of grace.

Allow me to use a for instance at this time:
We believe salvation is by pure grace w/out any works and that it is received by faith and water baptism has no merit at all in helping us be saved. Our salvation was purchased by the shed blood of our eternal sacrifice on Calvary.

If I can answer more please feel free to ask.

[quote]Interesting side note to be a member of the Bible study we all had to share our testamony. That night I listened to 8 testamonies (including my own). My testamony was the only one to include Jesus in it. Everyone else talked about how they felt contvicted and then when up to the alter and cried and then they were saved. Don't get me wrong, because many of them are very Godly men and women and do believe Jesus to be God and that he died for our sins and the rest of the Gospel Message, but that is not a testamony or how salvation works that is getting over the fact that you are a sinner. Jesus has to be involved for someone to be saved/become a Christian. Sorry for the random side note just an interesting story, about my experience.Not at all and thanks and this makes me wonder what kind of a Baptist they were - ours is not that way at all even though I have heard one or two over the years not give a clear-cut testimony of salvation???
But you are aware in some Baptist churches all the testifying is not just about their salvation but can be a praise or about this or that - know what i mean?

Br. Barnabas
Dec 17th 2008, 07:52 PM
Friend, seeing as I am not familiar with the church you speak of I can say not all baptist churches believe alike, operate alike or fellowship alike - and that's a long story. But let's say i was the pastor and you as an Anglican came to visit us. And sat in our SS class/bible study - you continued to come and to the point that you asked a question (which we allow in SS/bible study time) but not during the worship hour - I would not disassociate our church from you in that sense but if later when I visited you and your beliefs are not the same as ours about bible salvation then we would not allow you or anyone else to become a member until we were satisfied with your experience of grace.

Not saying that all believe alike or anything like that I know that many churches believe different things on non-salvation issues or secondary issues. I was not an Anglican at the time that I went to the Bible study, I was a member of a Southern Baptist church. The Bible study group and I did not/do not, as far as I know, disagree on what is required for salvation.

Allow me to use a for instance at this time:
We believe salvation is by pure grace w/out any works and that it is received by faith and water baptism has no merit at all in helping us be saved. Our salvation was purchased by the shed blood of our eternal sacrifice on Calvary.

Agreed. However, I believe and the Anglican church as well as some other ligturical churches believe that Baptism is required for membership in the church and even to be able to partake in the Eucharist.

If I can answer more please feel free to ask.

Not at all and thanks and this makes me wonder what kind of a Baptist they were - ours is not that way at all even though I have heard one or two over the years not give a clear-cut testimony of salvation???
But you are aware in some Baptist churches all the testifying is not just about their salvation but can be a praise or about this or that - know what i mean?

Yes I am aware that a testamony does not always have to be about our salvation story. However, this is what was asked for by the leaders of the study. It is also what the other future members attemped to give.

Samsheep2
Dec 17th 2008, 08:49 PM
Not saying that all believe alike or anything like that I know that many churches believe different things on non-salvation issues or secondary issues. I was not an Anglican at the time that I went to the Bible study, I was a member of a Southern Baptist church. The Bible study group and I did not/do not, as far as I know, disagree on what is required for salvation. Sorry, but from your wording I assumed you were Anglican - so, you were saying then because of not being a member of this body you were not allowed to take part after the issue came up.

Agreed. However, I believe and the Anglican church as well as some other ligturical churches believe that Baptism is required for membership in the church and even to be able to partake in the Eucharist. Might I ask how you went from a Baptist with their belief of what salvation is to Anglican? This is as far as east is from the West since their Eucharist has to do with a progressive salvation?

Yes I am aware that a testamony does not always have to be about our salvation story. However, this is what was asked for by the leaders of the study. It is also what the other future members attemped to give. Question, after you left the SBC did you have to be re-baptized as an Anglican? And are you aware they teach it as the way to be saved?

Thanks, Sam

Br. Barnabas
Dec 17th 2008, 09:21 PM
Sorry, but from your wording I assumed you were Anglican - so, you were saying then because of not being a member of this body you were not allowed to take part after the issue came up.

Might I ask how you went from a Baptist with their belief of what salvation is to Anglican? This is as far as east is from the West since their Eucharist has to do with a progressive salvation?

Question, after you left the SBC did you have to be re-baptized as an Anglican? And are you aware they teach it as the way to be saved?

Thanks, Sam

I am Anglican now I was not always Anglican, but I can see how you would have thought I was at that time. I was allowed to go to the Bible study and be a member just not a full member.

Baptists and Anglicans believe that salvation happens the same way. The Eucharist does not have to do with progessive salvation or at least it is not an offical teaching of the church. I became Anglican because I agreed more with their beliefs and wanted to be in a church that was older and held on to the beliefs and worship style of the early church.

No I did not have to be re-baptized one only needs to be re-baptized if there baptism was not vaild, ie it was done by someone not ordained by a church body or not done in the Trinity but only in the name of one person of the Trinity (usually Jesus only). The offical Anglican teaching is that one does not have to be baptized to be saved but they need to be baptized to be a member of the Body of Christ (the church) and that they have to be baptized to take the Eucharist.

I would suggest reading the 39 Articles of Religion they what doctrines the Anglican church teaches. http://anglicansonline.org/basics/thirty-nine_articles.html (link to 39 Articles).

Interesting note my priest used to be a Baptist minister.

Samsheep2
Dec 18th 2008, 03:55 AM
I am Anglican now I was not always Anglican, but I can see how you would have thought I was at that time. I was allowed to go to the Bible study and be a member just not a full member. I understand that now.

Baptists and Anglicans believe that salvation happens the same way. The Eucharist does not have to do with progessive salvation or at least it is not an offical teaching of the church. I became Anglican because I agreed more with their beliefs and wanted to be in a church that was older and held on to the beliefs and worship style of the early church. The early church never practiced what i know your church does - and please don't think i am trying to be pious but I've studied religions, taught it in bible college and after 40 years have no doubt as to their basic beliefs. It would take too-long to list our differences at this time but i will say this - true Baptist and Anglicans do not believe in the same way of how salvation happens to a lost sinner. But more later;...

No I did not have to be re-baptized one only needs to be re-baptized if there baptism was not vaild, ie it was done by someone not ordained by a church body or not done in the Trinity but only in the name of one person of the Trinity (usually Jesus only). The offical Anglican teaching is that one does not have to be baptized to be saved but they need to be baptized to be a member of the Body of Christ (the church) and that they have to be baptized to take the Eucharist. Are you certain that water baptism is not regarded as the time an Anglican receives salvation and the Holy spirit? Under your Anglican catechism about baptism it states:
Holy Baptism
Q. What is Holy Baptism? A. Holy Baptism is the sacrament by which God adopts us as his children and makes us members of Christ's Body, the Church, and inheritors of the kingdom of God.
Q. What is the outward and visible sign in Baptism? A. The outward and visible sign in Baptism is water, in which the person is baptized in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Q. What is the inward and spiritual grace in Baptism? A. The inward and spiritual grace in Baptism is union with Christ in his death and resurrection, birth into God's family the Church, forgiveness of sins, and new life in the Holy Spirit.
Q. What is required of us at Baptism? A. It is required that we renounce Satan, repent of our sins, and accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior.
Q. Why then are infants baptized? A. Infants are baptized so that they can share citizenship in the Covenant, membership in Christ, and redemption by God.
Q. How are the promises for infants made and carried out? A. Promises are made for them by their parents and sponsors, who guarantee that the infants will be brought up within the Church, to know Christ and be able to follow him.

I would suggest reading the 39 Articles of Religion they what doctrines the Anglican church teaches. http://anglicansonline.org/basics/thirty-nine_articles.html (link to 39 Articles). Interesting note my priest used to be a Baptist minister.Thanks but already know them and believe me it would take pages of posting - when it's easier for me to use the bible rather than man made tradition - no offence intended but I question why any Baptist preacher would become an Anglican priest that is if he knew better?

Teke
Dec 18th 2008, 07:16 PM
I question why any Baptist preacher would become an Anglican priest that is if he knew better?

Here's two cents from another former Baptist who converted to the ancient faith given by Jesus and the Apostles. (not Anglican but Orthodox)

Your question actually answers itself. Every studied Baptist knows that Baptist teach from a historical perspective. So any who continue in such study will eventually be confronted with the historic church. Their conscience will inevitably lead them where God wants them.

So the Baptist preacher likely did know better to make such a decision. And if your a Baptist, you should know better than to ask such. As Baptist hold to "individual soul liberty" which allows them to do so.