PDA

View Full Version : Save Yourselves?

mikebr
Dec 16th 2008, 10:04 PM
40With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." 41Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

If am of the impression that this whole scenario is dealing with the coming wrath on Jerusalem which would occur in 70AD. Can any of you tell me what this "save yourself" means in context of salvation as we have been taught that this passage speaks of?

ProjectPeter
Dec 16th 2008, 10:43 PM
It could be simply translated "be saved." Just depends on which version you read.

NASB *And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation!"

NASU *And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation!"

YLT *Also with many more other words he was testifying and exhorting, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation;"

KJV *And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

Not sure why you would think he was speaking of 70AD. Christian Jews were just as much killed then as were the non-Christian Jews. So it certainly wasn't talking about "physical" salvation from that particular day.

moonglow
Dec 16th 2008, 10:49 PM
If am of the impression that this whole scenario is dealing with the coming wrath on Jerusalem which would occur in 70AD. Can any of you tell me what this "save yourself" means in context of salvation as we have been taught that this passage speaks of?

I think you are confusing two types of getting saved here...there is the salvation of the soul through Jesus Christ as in the verse you posted...and the physical saving...'fleeing Judea' that we read in Matthew 24..in which their physical lives would be saved. Its too different issues though.

God bless