PDA

View Full Version : Losing Faith!!!!!

Firstfruits
Dec 17th 2008, 09:10 PM
How can doubt affect our salvation?

Matthew 14:26-31

26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.

27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.

28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.

29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

God bless you!

Firstfruits

mikebr
Dec 17th 2008, 09:42 PM

26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.

27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.

28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.

29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

God bless you!

Firstfruits

If you're not sick of me by now, I've done a great study on the verses that Jesus tells them that they have little faith. In every occasion (there all in Matthew) there is something taking place where there trust is in things other than Jesus. He's always talking to His disciples. One time its worry; (6:23-34) once its fear,(8:23-26) once its doubt,(14:22-33) and the last time its self sufficiency; (16:6-13). I would follow this up when I taught it by getting a person to jump up and down on the floor. They would always do it and jump as high as they could. Then I would get them to stand in a chair and jump. This time they would jump very gingerly. Then I would ask them to stand on the back of the chair (I always used one of those thin metal folding chairs). That's when they thought I had lost my mind. I would make my point by telling them that fear, doubt, worry and self sufficiency always took us away from Jesus and the farther we get from our foundation the less we trust.

I hope this makes some sense. To answer your question it can't affect our salvation but it can affect our abilities. Look up the word for faith in these verses its different.

Partaker of Christ
Dec 17th 2008, 09:45 PM
Hi Firstfruits!

It would not effect our Salvation, but it may effect our walk.
I have often found myself wanting more faith. I have not fully trusted Him in somethings. But He still works thing out, and I see that I could have trusted, and not feared. That builds me up for my next step.

Notice how when their faith was weak, Jesus interceded for them, and calmed the storm?

Isa 42:3 a bruised reed he will not break, and a faintly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice.

Firstfruits
Dec 18th 2008, 08:56 AM
With regards to the following, if that which we asked for was forgiveness of our sin, or for more faith, and we doubted/wavered, would that be a problem?

Jas 1:6 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=59&CHAP=1&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=6) But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
Jas 1:7 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=59&CHAP=1&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=7) For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

Thanks,

Firstfruits

Firstfruits
Dec 18th 2008, 03:46 PM
Why are we told not to have doubtful minds, or not to doubt?

1 Tim 2:8 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=54&CHAP=2&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=8) I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

Lk 12:29 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=42&CHAP=12&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=29) And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.

Mt 21:21 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=40&CHAP=21&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=21) Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

Heb 10:23 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=58&CHAP=10&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=23) Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

Thanks,

Firstfruits

Firstfruits
Dec 20th 2008, 09:41 PM
With regards to this scripture what happens to a Christian that has lost their faith?

Jas 1:6 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=59&CHAP=1&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=6) But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
Jas 1:7 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=59&CHAP=1&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=7) For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

1 Tim 2:8 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=54&CHAP=2&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=8) I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

If we doubt the power of God to save, what shall we receive from the Lord?

Firstfruits

threebigrocks
Dec 20th 2008, 09:55 PM
Matthew 17
19Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not drive it out?"
20And He said to them, "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.
21["But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting."]

Luke 17
5The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!"
6And the Lord said, "If you had faith like a mustard seed, you would say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and be planted in the sea'; and it would obey you.
7"Which of you, having a slave plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come immediately and sit down to eat'?
8"But will he not say to him, 'Prepare something for me to eat, and properly clothe yourself and serve me while I eat and drink; and afterward you may eat and drink'?
9"He does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he?
10"So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, 'We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done.'"

Matthew 13
31He presented another parable to them, saying, "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field; 32and this is smaller than all other seeds, but when it is full grown, it is larger than the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that THE BIRDS OF THE AIR come and NEST IN ITS BRANCHES."

The power of the smallest of faith is bigger than all. It's when we put or have mountians placed in our way and allow that to become larger than our faith that we wind up in a crisis of faith. We grow our faith, we prepaire and pray and study scripture, we feed it so that it can grow into that marvelous tree, and so that tree can bear fruit and provide sustinance.

TrustingFollower
Dec 20th 2008, 10:06 PM
To answer your question it can't affect our salvation but it can affect our abilities.

It would not effect our Salvation, but it may effect our walk.

Let me ask this question since two have stated that it can't affect our salvation. Do you possess salvation yet or do you claim salvation in faith of the promise given?

sailor
Dec 20th 2008, 10:24 PM

God bless you!

Firstfruits

I have lost faith, people always talk about the trials of Job but Job won in the end. I am at the end and I am losing.
I am being annexed into the city of Lexington ,n.c, I am having my taxes doubled and by June of 09 i will be broke and homeless with ruined credit. . I am so tired of being afraid and I have lost hope, i am heart broken because I am sick and out of work and cannot work due to sickness. I may even die as a result and I don
t see any light at the end of the tunnel.
I do not feel tested I feel pain 24-7. I Can no longer pray. i no longer try, i just hurt.

Firstfruits
Dec 21st 2008, 11:06 AM
I have lost faith, people always talk about the trials of Job but Job won in the end. I am at the end and I am losing.
I am being annexed into the city of Lexington ,n.c, I am having my taxes doubled and by June of 09 i will be broke and homeless with ruined credit. . I am so tired of being afraid and I have lost hope, i am heart broken because I am sick and out of work and cannot work due to sickness. I may even die as a result and I don
I do not feel tested I feel pain 24-7. I Can no longer pray. i no longer try, i just hurt.

Dear Sailor, (I had to resist saying "Hello Sailor" :))

It is sad to hear how things are with you at this time. I hope the following scripture will help to remind you that when you faith is weak, God is always there for you.

Luke 12:22-31.

22 And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.
23 The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.
24 Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?
25 And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit? 26 If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?
27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?
29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.
31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.

1 Pet 5:10 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=60&CHAP=5&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=10) But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Firstfruits
Dec 22nd 2008, 12:40 PM
If unbelief can prevent miracles, how does that reflect on salvation?

Mt 13:58 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=40&CHAP=13&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=58) And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

Mt 6:30 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=40&CHAP=6&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=30) Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

Mt 8:26 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=40&CHAP=8&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=26) And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.

Mt 14:31 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=40&CHAP=14&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=31) And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

Mt 16:8 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=40&CHAP=16&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=8) Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?

Lk 12:28 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=42&CHAP=12&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=28) If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?

Firstfruits

Partaker of Christ
Dec 22nd 2008, 01:59 PM
Let me ask this question since two have stated that it can't affect our salvation. Do you possess salvation yet or do you claim salvation in faith of the promise given?

I am in Christ, and I have Christ in me.

Can I have Christ in me, and not have salvation?
Can I have salvation, and not have Christ in me?

Firstfruits
Dec 22nd 2008, 02:11 PM

Would you agree that salvation is a work of God? If therefore a believer doubts their standing with God because of what is happening to them in their lives and they fall into unbelief as did Peter when he was walking on the sea, how does the following apply?

Mt 13:58 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=40&CHAP=13&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=58) And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

Rom 14:23 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=14&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=23) And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Firstfruits

TrustingFollower
Dec 22nd 2008, 03:18 PM

You have the seal of the promise given you. Salvation is not completed until the resurrection of our bodies.

2 Corinthians 5

1 For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven,
3 inasmuch as we, having put it on, will not be found naked.
4 For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life.
5 Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge.
6 ¶Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord --
7 for we walk by faith, not by sight --

The Holy Spirit that lives in each of us is the seal that we will in deed be part of the first resurrection. Right now we claim salvation by faith only so until we get the resurrection body then salvation will be completed.

Firstfruits
Dec 22nd 2008, 04:20 PM
You have the seal of the promise given you. Salvation is not completed until the resurrection of our bodies.

2 Corinthians 5

1 For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven,
4 For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life.
5 Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge.
6 ¶Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord --

The Holy Spirit that lives in each of us is the seal that we will in deed be part of the first resurrection. Right now we claim salvation by faith only so until we get the resurrection body then salvation will be completed.

Does the following scripture mean that just as Israel after abiding in belief with God and then that belief become unbelief were broken off, if our belief becomes unbelief can we too be broken off?

Rom 11:20 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=11&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=20) Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

Firstfruits

TrustingFollower
Dec 22nd 2008, 04:41 PM
Does the following scripture mean that just as Israel after abiding in belief with God and then that belief become unbelief were broken off, if our belief becomes unbelief can we too be broken off?

Rom 11:20 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=11&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=20) Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

Firstfruits
Yes, I believe that is exactly what that is saying. We must continue in faith or we too will be pruned from the vine. Peter is showing the same thing in his second letter also and teaching to keep steadfast in the faith.

2 Peter 1

4 For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,
6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,
7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.
10 Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;
11 for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.

Firstfruits
Dec 22nd 2008, 05:24 PM
Yes, I believe that is exactly what that is saying. We must continue in faith or we too will be pruned from the vine. Peter is showing the same thing in his second letter also and teaching to keep steadfast in the faith.

2 Peter 1

4 For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,
6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,
7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.
10 Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;
11 for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.

With regards to salvation, what does it mean to be broken off from the vine?

Firstfruits

TrustingFollower
Dec 22nd 2008, 06:03 PM
It is the same as what Jesus taught. Must stay in faith to stay as part of the vine.

John 15

6 "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.

Firstfruits
Dec 22nd 2008, 09:23 PM
It is the same as what Jesus taught. Must stay in faith to stay as part of the vine.

John 15

6 "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.

So doubt and unbelief can cause us to be lost or to lose our salvation, If we do not abide in the vine? :eek: :eek:

Firstfruits

Partaker of Christ
Dec 22nd 2008, 11:00 PM

2 Corinthians 5

Hi again TrustingFollower!

That passage speaks of our body being an earthly tent.

We have been blessed with ALL spiritual blessings

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Can we now have Christ in us, and not yet have salvation?

primeminister85
Dec 22nd 2008, 11:32 PM

Sailor,
Christians do slip in faith at times. I can only tell you what I know. I don't know your entire situation but I know Christ. You spoke of Job and say that Job won in the end...won't you? Be encouraged, when Job's family perished all in one day do you think it looked as if he would win? I don't think it did. His own wife said to curse God. Be encouraged brother, please. Paul states in Phil. 4:11-13 (King James Version)

11Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
12I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

This lesson that Paul states he has learned came at his personal expense. God does still love us even when we suffer. Read Acts 9:15-16 :
15 But the Lord said to Ananias, "Go! This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel. 16 I will show him how much he must suffer for my name."

That was God speaking of Paul. He loved Paul and God understands that through our sufferings we will become stronger (even when it doesn't feel like it) Truly be encouraged man of God. You will survive this.

Lastly, please read Jeremiah 29:1-7. God allowed the children of Israel to be taken into bondage to Israel. He states directly that this trial is NOT to diminish them. They are to be INCREAED through the trials they will suffer at the hands of the Egyptians. So this trial of yours is not to diminish you man of God, but to increase you (no matter how it looks; the Israelites were headed for slavery and God said to seek His peace while there, so seek His peace Eph. 6:15 through the Gospel). God bless you, you are going to make it!!

TrustingFollower
Dec 23rd 2008, 01:51 AM
Hi again TrustingFollower!

That passage speaks of our body being an earthly tent.

We have been blessed with ALL spiritual blessings

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Can we now have Christ in us, and not yet have salvation?
The key part of everything that is taught in the NT is that we have all of it by FAITH. until Jesus comes again we can only claim any of our promises by faith. Can we be assured of the promise of salvation and the spiritual blessings, yes by faith in Jesus and the price he paid us. That is the entire basis of what Christianity is all about. When the actual things happen that is when we can say we are saved, until then it is all by faith.