PDA

View Full Version : Is the act of smoking a cigarrette a sin?

reformedct
Dec 17th 2008, 10:08 PM
I know Paul said not to be mastered by anything so being mastered by ciggarettes or listening to music or watching tv are all sin

i know smoking ciggarrettes can cause one to want to smoke more and more and be hooked.

However just because doing something makes us want to do it more, does that mean it is sin?

if i eat a piece of cake that is so good, i want to eat some all day, is eating the cake a sin?

I know there is a scripture that says honor God in your bodies or something

but how do we connect that to smoking a ciggarette?

if we simply say, it doesn't honor God in your body

then shouldnt we all repent from eating cake? cake is bad for you isn't it?

We shouldnt drink energy drinks either under this

im just trying to figure out to what extent to we bring the "honor God in your body command?

Yukerboy
Dec 17th 2008, 10:10 PM
Those are excellent points.

It is not what goes into a man's mouth, but what comes out. (Something to that effect).

I believe that it is sin for those who are unsaved those who are saved cannot sin, so it would not be.

Yuke

samphillipssr
Dec 17th 2008, 10:27 PM
Rom.14:23 tells us that anything we do outside of faith is sin.

You did bring up some great points!

Do we break our state laws by running a stop sign or red light? Would we go to hell by doing so?

The Word says to love our neighbor as ourself. How many of us christians truly love our neighbors enough to give them our home, our car, our money, yes, even our life? I've never loved my neighbor that much...

So to smoke, eat, or anything else we do that is not done in faith is sin. God knows we're flesh and made of the dust of the earth. That's why we need to constantly ask His guidance in all we do as we daily read our KJV Bible and pray.

Thanks for your prayers and God bless you christians.

Sam

keck553
Dec 17th 2008, 10:35 PM
I know that some orthodox Jews who will step out of a synagogue and have a 'goy' light their cigarette on Shabbat (to keep from lighting a flame and sinning).

I think that's about as sinful as eating a camel.

MercyChild
Dec 17th 2008, 10:43 PM
Dude, I am new in Christ, and I am still smoking. Is smoking a sin. In my opinion yes it is. The Holy Spirit is living inside of me, and is God's temple, and you know what I am making the Holy Spirit stay in my heart............I dont think He likes it very much, but because He loves me, He will be patient with me. I know I have to stop. I have been conficted in my heart. As a smoker I feel that smoking is a sin............ and so are many others like your cake eating for instance

amazzin
Dec 17th 2008, 10:53 PM
Dude, I am new in Christ, and I am still smoking. Is smoking a sin. In my opinion yes it is. The Holy Spirit is living inside of me, and is God's temple, and you know what I am making the Holy Spirit stay in my heart............I dont think He likes it very much, but because He loves me, He will be patient with me. I know I have to stop. I have been conficted in my heart. As a smoker I feel that smoking is a sin............ and so are many others like your cake eating for instance

Good points but lets define this a little more. The sin is found in the addiction. The addiction is an idol because you depend more on it than God. But smoking is not the sin or over eating or drinking. The sin is the dependence on something other than our Lord who has already made a way out. Makes sense?

reformedct
Dec 17th 2008, 10:54 PM

Thank you for sharing. I do honor your conviction and if you feel led to stop smoking i pray God gives you the grace to do just that.

This is similar to drinking wine in my opinion. Drinking wine is not a sin. However if you are a new believer who was a drunkard, it may be best that you refrain from all drinking

I am not here to say whose right or whose wrong

I would just like to discuss what the Bible says about smoking.

I know there can be some situations were smoking would be a sin, like smoking in a no smoking zone, smoking in a room full of little children.

But i would just like to know that if i am not controlled by ciggaretes, is it a sin for me to occasionally have one outback while getting some fresh air?

i know we all have our personal convictions, and i honor and respect all o those, but i would like to look at what the bible specifically says about this issue:hmm:

MercyChild
Dec 17th 2008, 10:56 PM
Good points but lets define this a little more. The sin is found in the addiction. The addiction is an idol because you depend more on it than God. But smoking is not the sin or over eating or drinking. The sin is the dependence on something other than our Lord who has already made a way out. Makes sense?

Sure do, and I understand now why I am uncomfortable with smoking. Thanks for the explanation

Yukerboy
Dec 17th 2008, 10:59 PM
lets define this a little more.

Let's define it even further.

Sin is transgression of the law.

reformedct
Dec 17th 2008, 11:04 PM
Let's define it even further.

Sin is transgression of the law.

do you believe smoking a ciggarette is transgresion of the law?

I agree with the statement of dependence on anything besides God.

Why we would smoke a ciggaratte may be where the issue is.

Why would we do it?

But also i still would like someone to present scripture that can help us out with this issue

divaD
Dec 17th 2008, 11:05 PM

The only thing stopping you from stopping is yourself. It's all in your mind. I understand that many use the excuse that nicotine is addictive. When I was younger I smoked a pack or more a day for many years, yet I was able to stop just like that. If nicotine addiction were true, then I would have been addicted like anyone else and would have found it a struggle to quit. I never struggled with quitting. I just quit. This is why I'm convinced it's all in the mind.

I discussed this on another thread. Apparently some thought I was looking to be congratulated or something. I wasn't looking to be congratulated, I was just trying to make a point. If someone wants to quit doing something, all one has to do is to quit doing it. That takes the struggle out of it.

As far as whether smoking is a sin or not, personally I'm not going to make that judgment call. There are many things that are not good for us, yet many of us do it all the time, such as eating at McDonald's, etc.

keck553
Dec 17th 2008, 11:05 PM

If you are convicted it's sinful, then it is. I don't know what your beliefs are, but God gave instructions to man what is healthy (what is food) and what is not healty (what is not food). Most people call these 'food laws.' but to me I just trust God that animals in the category of garbage / carcass eaters are unhealty, God designed them, so He should know.

That said, I define the issue as I define ALL of God's instructions:

Choose life.

God gave us intructions how to live healthy, mentally, spiritually and physically. God didn't throw Adam out in the wilderness and let him figure out all this stuff on his own. Adam had all the instructions God gave through Moses, albiet not written down. The story about Noah shows some allusion to that when God had him take 7 pairs of 'clean' animals to 2 pairs of 'unclean' animals. Clean animals are used as food and sacrifice.

I suppose smoking can fit into the category of "You shall not put the LORD your God to the test." Maybe that's why you feel convicted.

Yukerboy
Dec 17th 2008, 11:19 PM
do you believe smoking a ciggarette is transgresion of the law?

I agree with the statement of dependence on anything besides God.

Why we would smoke a ciggaratte may be where the issue is.

Why would we do it?

But also i still would like someone to present scripture that can help us out with this issue

I do not believe smoking a cigarette transgresses the law.

But then, I don't believe anything one who is born again does transgresses the law. I seem to stand alone on that, but I digress.

keck553
Dec 17th 2008, 11:28 PM
I do not believe smoking a cigarette transgresses the law.

But then, I don't believe anything one who is born again does transgresses the law. I seem to stand alone on that, but I digress.

Don't think you're standing alone, or with any one of us. Seek to stand with God. If this is truely where God has you in your walk, (and not some preacher), then stand on it. God has something awesome for you and He'll reveal it to you, and it will be between just Him and you. And you will count it as a blessing.

shalom.

Yukerboy
Dec 17th 2008, 11:37 PM
Don't think you're standing alone, or with any one of us. Seek to stand with God. If this is truely where God has you in your walk, (not some preacher), then stand on it. God has something awesome for you and He'll reveal it to you, and it will be between just Him and you. And you will count it as a blessing.

shalom.

Thank you for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

I have yet to find a pastor that teaches something like this which leaves doubt in my mind, yet I feel the Scriptures are stating it more clearly to me now than ever.

Sadly, being convinced of what I believe is what I seek. That's a big reason why I come here. I have been on almost all sides of every debate in the last two years, making me look like a hypocrite more than anything, but so I consider my beliefs being changed over time as being refined by fire.

Sorry to derail the topic for this short time, back to topic. :)

Yuke

Lee-Roy
Dec 17th 2008, 11:48 PM
Cigarettes are terrible for you, but I don't know if I would consider them a sin. Maybe if you smoke three packs a day, but in moderation no.

keck553
Dec 17th 2008, 11:53 PM
Thank you for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

I have yet to find a pastor that teaches something like this which leaves doubt in my mind, yet I feel the Scriptures are stating it more clearly to me now than ever.

Sadly, being convinced of what I believe is what I seek. That's a big reason why I come here. I have been on almost all sides of every debate in the last two years, making me look like a hypocrite more than anything, but so I consider my beliefs being changed over time as being refined by fire.

Sorry to derail the topic for this short time, back to topic. :)

Yuke

Well my position in faith is not accepted by many either, but hey, God is God and men are men, right?

- Just one more side bar. There is one verse that gives me hope when I am running on empty:

Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.

Gulah Papyrus
Dec 18th 2008, 12:10 AM
I discussed this on another thread. Apparently some thought I was looking to be congratulated or something.
That was me, sorry if I came off snide, it's just that when one is struggling with an addiction and try as they might they continue to fail, and then someone pops in and says 'why don't you just quit, it's easy, I did it', well, it just isn't very constructive. Do you really think that I haven't tried 'just quitting'?

Do you also feel that alcoholism and I don't know, let's say heroine addiction, is all in ones mind?

If it's all in my mind, could you please explain why I continue to crave something that I know will ensure a long painful death, that smells terrible, tastes even worse, makes me look like an scumbag idiot loser, costs me $20-30/week, my kids HATE it.

There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING that I like about ciggarettes...but I want one right now.

Upon entering the bloodstream, nicotine immediately stimulates the adrenal glands to release the hormone epinephrine (adrenaline). Epinephrine stimulates the central nervous system and increases blood pressure, respiration, and heart rate. Glucose is released into the blood while nicotine suppresses insulin output from the pancreas, which means that smokers have chronically elevated blood sugar levels.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/Infofacts/Tobacco.html

MercyChild
Dec 18th 2008, 01:35 AM
The only thing stopping you from stopping is yourself. It's all in your mind. I understand that many use the excuse that nicotine is addictive. When I was younger I smoked a pack or more a day for many years, yet I was able to stop just like that. If nicotine addiction were true, then I would have been addicted like anyone else and would have found it a struggle to quit. I never struggled with quitting. I just quit. This is why I'm convinced it's all in the mind.

I discussed this on another thread. Apparently some thought I was looking to be congratulated or something. I wasn't looking to be congratulated, I was just trying to make a point. If someone wants to quit doing something, all one has to do is to quit doing it. That takes the struggle out of it.

As far as whether smoking is a sin or not, personally I'm not going to make that judgment call. There are many things that are not good for us, yet many of us do it all the time, such as eating at McDonald's, etc.

Well done bro, I agree, but I believe everything happens in God's time. I am a recovering drug addict as well and I am praying about this. Sure I have been conficted, and I know that I am sinning, but God is taking me just one step at a time. I cannot stop on my own, this I have learned from my drugging experience, and I have failed several times. But once I asked God to help me, guide me and give me mercy, I am now picking the fruit. Quiting and making that decision to just give it up perhaps worked for you, but I am an individual, and without God's help I am afraid this will not be possible for me

John27
Dec 18th 2008, 01:48 AM
Man is destined to sin regardless and alot of things are sins. However if you repent for your sins and do works to show love thy neighbor God will save you. That is the secret.

This reminds me of my 1st RCIA class, the brother asked us why people lose faith and one student said because even good people die of cancer or diseases, why would God make such diseases. He said did God make disease or did man? God gave us rules on what to eat and as people strayed in the bible the maximum age limits went down. Science is now finding that alot of foods that are healthy for us or that enhance age are the same ones we should be eating according to the food laws in the bible.

Also smoking seems to lead only to death as we learn more about it, it seems lik smoking creates these diseases. In the Bible Sin ultimately leads to death. just some thoughts.