PDA

View Full Version : Cain and Abel's offering

Yukerboy
Dec 18th 2008, 12:39 AM
Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the LORD. But Abel brought fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.

My question is why?

Not that I have an idea and start a debate, I honestly don't get it.

Why was Abel's found with favor, but not Cain's?

divaD
Dec 18th 2008, 01:25 AM
My question is why?

Doesn't Scripture tell us why?

Hebrews 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh

1 John 3:11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
12 *Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.

This is what Scripture states. The rest of what I post is merely speculation on my part, so treat it as such.

Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

I believe that the serpent got the clue. I even believe that Adam and Eve more than likely understood what this meant.

Genesis 4:1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

Could it be possible that Eve believed this to be the one whom the promised seed would come thru?

Genesis 4:2 And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

Hmmm...now we have 2 possibillities for whom the promised seed might come thru.

The next thing that comes to mind, satan was obviously very interested in these 2. Perhaps he was thinking that the promised seed would more than likely come thru one of these 2, so he observes very closely.

Genesis 4:3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
6 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Looking at this from satan's perspective, it more than likely became obvious that God favored Abel over Cain. So what does satan then do next? He kills 2 birds with one stone.

Genesis 4:8 And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

Obviously satan put it into Cain's heart to kill his brother. Why? So he could hinder/stop the promised seed from being born thru this lineage. He already figured that Cain was out of the picture, but for assurance purposes he put it into Cain's heart to kill his brother, and once doing that, he knew that God wouldn't use that lineage to destroy him, so he chooses to use this lineage himself in order to further his cause. IMO, using this theme as an outline, by the time one gets to Gen 6, it becomes clear as to why God had to destroy the ungodly at that particular time.

Be nice now..don't be too hard on me. Remember...speculation.

John27
Dec 18th 2008, 01:39 AM
My question is why?

I think it is present in the story. Genesis describes Abel's offering as the best among his flock, but it doesn't describe Cain's as the best. Since Cain has a trickery temperment throughout the story, it can be assumed based on description that Cain didn't yield the absolute best from his produce. Abel however did yield the absolute best. Later Cain goes to far as to try to trick God by asking if he is his brother's keeper, this is looked as being highley ironic or poor tone, because yes it is assumed throughout the bible that you are your brother's keeper. So the way I see it is that Cain didn't give the best that he had to God, he didn't hime God all he had, and thus was not favored.

Yukerboy
Dec 18th 2008, 01:40 AM
Be nice now..don't be too hard on me. Remember...speculation.

Are you nuts in posting that wild theory?

LOL, seriously, I find no fault with it and will check out the passages you mention. Thank you.

As for why Cain's offering wasn't accepted was that it wasn't by faith (By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain)?

Or was Cain's offering not accepted because of his works (Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.)?

Genesis describes Abel's offering as the best among his flock, but it doesn't describe Cain's as the best.

Excellent point and one I missed, thank you.

Instrument
Dec 18th 2008, 01:57 AM
My question is why?

Abel's offering was a type of Christ. Abel gave a lamb and Christ is the Lamb slain.

Blessings.

RJ Mac
Dec 18th 2008, 02:47 AM
Heb.11:4; By faith Abel offered a better sacrifice.
Ro.10:17; Faith comes by hearing, hearing by the word of Christ;
God must have told them both what they needed to sacrifice.
Abel obeyed and Cain didn't.

What is interesting is Cain's name means "fabrication."
He probably fabricated his sacrifice, made it up himself,
what he decided, not what God commanded.

Abel means 'vapor' - Ja.4:14; you life is like a vapor it just vanishes away.
And so did Abel, he just vanished away, just as it seems he was getting
started. Did someone say, only the good die young?

Yet his good life lives long after he was gone. Heb.12:24
Jesus blood speaks better than the blood of Abel.

Lesson for us, obey the Bible, do what it says,
God is not pleased with "fabricated worship."
We must worship Him in spirit and in truth.

RJ

SIG
Dec 18th 2008, 04:02 AM
Look carefully at Cain's actions and at how he reacts to and speaks to God. Clearly, his heart was not in the right place. We can assume that it was also not in the right place when he gave his offering.