PDA

View Full Version : Reformed or other? quick check

reformedct
Dec 18th 2008, 05:22 AM
just curious to see what the majority on here believe

I don't know how to make a poll on this thing, so simply just
state whether you are "reformed" in theology or "not reformed"

please do not explain why you are what you are here, this is just a quick poll
also don't say things like, i agree 50% with reformed and all that, simply reformed or not reformed

i will go first as an example:

reformed:thumbsup:

BrckBrln
Dec 18th 2008, 05:25 AM
Reformed, reformed, oh, and, reformed. :pp

crossnote
Dec 18th 2008, 06:43 AM
50% Lutheran / $40%Reformed / 10% Non denom. / 100% forgiven sinner.

Bethany67
Dec 18th 2008, 07:40 AM
More Reformed than anything else.

scourge39
Dec 18th 2008, 07:55 AM
Reformed as all get out.

ServantofTruth
Dec 18th 2008, 08:08 AM
100% looking for Unity, not division. Love SofTy.

iyulchik
Dec 18th 2008, 09:33 AM

also don't say things like, i agree 50% with reformed and all that, simply reformed or not reformed

I don't know what reformed/not reformed means. :(

RogerW
Dec 18th 2008, 09:33 AM
You can put me in the Reformed box.

Tonton
Dec 18th 2008, 09:42 AM
Just formed... Biblically. Not reformed from something else.

Anton

daughter
Dec 18th 2008, 10:15 AM
I suppose I'm reformed. :D

daughter
Dec 18th 2008, 10:36 AM
I was thinking though... this thread won't tell you what the majority on this forum are. Probably a lot of people will avoid it, in case it turns into an argument, and even more people will not know what reform means, and therefore won't answer it.

grit
Dec 18th 2008, 12:25 PM
Reformed.

And daughter is right. I think you'll probably find enough reformed folk around the site to give some comfort, but just as a quick personal read I'd roughly say the mix is about 10% reformed and 60% not reformed, with about 30% undecided enough as to be beyond categorization. And in assessment of active engagement on a daily basis over theological issues where reformed theology weighs heavily in the balance, I'd put the participation level at about 20% reformed to 55% not reformed with about 25% undecided enough as to be beyond categorization. I hope that is helpful, and others may certainly assess the balance differently.

Again if it's any help, the intended focus of the site is toward Internet ministry, Internet addiction ministry, and is generally Pentecostal based. It is trinitarian and generally leans toward orthodox evangelical Christianity of a charismatic bent; but there are regularly participating respected voices considerably different from this general impetus.

Brother Mark
Dec 18th 2008, 12:39 PM
I still long for the day when people began to say "I determined to know nothing among you but Christ and Him crucified".

1 Cor 2:2-5
2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. 3 And I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling. 4 And my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith should not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.
NASB

Too many agendas often get in the way. We wish to push our favorite doctrine instead of knowing Jesus and him crucified in each of us.

To answer the question... to my reformed friends, I say I was chosen to be arminian. To my arminian friends, I say I choose to be reformed. ;)

Samsheep2
Dec 18th 2008, 12:44 PM

Reformed/or? is not the question - it should have been do you understand how to answer the question!!! (Hehehehehe)

grit
Dec 18th 2008, 12:47 PM
I still long for the day when people began to say "I determined to know nothing among you but Christ and Him crucified".

:) :hug: Not to get too off track from the OP's wishes, but that was one of the hallmarks of the Reformation, and continues as such.

kenrank
Dec 18th 2008, 12:50 PM

What's the difference? A reformer believes what?

Thanks.
Ken

Samsheep2
Dec 18th 2008, 12:55 PM

2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. 3 And I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling. 4 And my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith should not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.
NASB

Too many agendas often get in the way. We wish to push our favorite doctrine instead of knowing Jesus and him crucified in each of us.

To answer the question... to my reformed friends, I say I was chosen to be arminian. To my arminian friends, I say I choose to be reformed. ;)

Mark, I forget who said it but it went some thing like this: "I witness like a Calvinist and work like an Arminian." (hehehehe)

grit
Dec 18th 2008, 01:04 PM
What's the difference? A reformer believes what?

Thanks.
Ken

That's a good question central to the OP, and sometimes difficult to answer. It's often equated with Calvinism, but this is somewhat of a misnomer, and generally speaking even wiki gets it wrong. However, I think the wiki-talk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Reformed_theology) listing is not a bad place to generally start such a determination or delve into some of the nuance of such.

IamBill
Dec 18th 2008, 04:03 PM

I am "in progress" ... ;) guess that means -formING

theBelovedDisciple
Dec 18th 2008, 04:16 PM
I don't really consider myself to be either... never really thought of my walk with Him or what I believe as remformed or non reformed... I have learned from Him.. He is the Best Teacher and Advocate..... I do "know" and consider myself to be:

100 % Born Again Christian Feb 3 1994.. Set free, forgiven, washed, set again in life clothed and in my right mind... and empowered by the Holy Ghost.. this all done by Jesus the Christ.. God manifest in the flesh...

holyrokker
Dec 18th 2008, 04:36 PM
If by "reformed" you mean subscribing to the doctrines of Calvin - Absolutley NOT!

My views are closer to Weslyan thought.

ServantofTruth
Dec 18th 2008, 04:51 PM

NASB

I was reading the first few chapters of 1 Corinthians this morning, while waiting for my mother to have a scan at the hospital. They were saying they followed Apollos or Cephas or Paul. Today it might be the pope, arch bishop, pastor, minister or tv preacher.

None of them were crucified! :confused or what! SofTy.

JesusMySavior
Dec 18th 2008, 04:57 PM
I don't know what I am but I am a Christian. I love Jesus with all my heart but I struggle. I want to help spread the Gospel to save perishing souls and keep Jesus first. Amen.

reformedct
Dec 18th 2008, 05:02 PM
just to clarify, reformed is an understanding of the bible similar to the doctrines of calvinism.

Also, my goal was not to argue here about whether these views are right or not. There are other threads open for that

I would just like to see how many people consider themselves reformed or not. That is all. It is just a quick poll from curiosity

Reformed believers usually believe in:

Total depravity: apart from an act of God man is completley dead in his tresspasses and sins. Since dead people cannot choose, God calls them first by making them alive (ephesians 2 and lazarus being called forth from the dead for example) Man is shaped in iniquity and his nature is sinful from birth. Babies do not learn how to sin. Their nature is sin. The bible proclaims "by nature we are objects of God's wrath"

Unconditional Election: God chose some people to be saved because he wanted to for his glory. not because he saw that they were going to be a good person or because of some good thing they did. NO human being deserves salvation. We all deserve to die. God in his mercy and love saves some.

Limited Atonement: Since Christ paid the sin debt of the believer, he did not pay for the debt of unbelievers, because then there would be no reason for them to pay a paid debt in hell. However, WHOEVER repents and trusts in Christ with saving faith will have their sin debt paid for. This does not mean that someone can want to be saved but be afraid because they are not elect and their sins won't be paid for. Anyone who effectually responds to the gospel can and will be saved and forgiven of all sin

Irressistable Grace: God saves people whether they like it or not. If God plans to save you, He will do it. For example Paul was knocked down by Jesus and blinded haha Paul wasn't searching to get grace he was attacked by grace lol

Perserverance of the saints: All true believers will perservere to the end as God's grace sustains them

After that being said, i am aware that John Calvin had some moral issues in his own life. I am not sure wether he was truly saved or not. But whether someone is saved or not does not mean their theology is wrong. Many people go to seminary and learn correct doctrine but they are not saved, they are just theologians.

This thread is not to praise TULIP or to mock TULIP

It is simply here so i can see how many share my same convictions with reformed theology. that is all

thepenitent
Dec 18th 2008, 05:28 PM
Reformed here for sure. For those who don't know what reformed is, check out the Westminster Confession. It lays out the doctrines nicely.

Emanate
Dec 18th 2008, 05:29 PM
just to clarify, reformed is an understanding of the bible similar to the doctrines of calvinism.

Also, my goal was not to argue here about whether these views are right or not. There are other threads open for that

I would just like to see how many people consider themselves reformed or not. That is all. It is just a quick poll from curiosity

Reformed believers usually believe in:

Total depravity: apart from an act of God man is completley dead in his tresspasses and sins. Since dead people cannot choose, God calls them first by making them alive (ephesians 2 and lazarus being called forth from the dead for example) Man is shaped in iniquity and his nature is sinful from birth. Babies do not learn how to sin. Their nature is sin. The bible proclaims "by nature we are objects of God's wrath"

Unconditional Election: God chose some people to be saved because he wanted to for his glory. not because he saw that they were going to be a good person or because of some good thing they did. NO human being deserves salvation. We all deserve to die. God in his mercy and love saves some.

Limited Atonement: Since Christ paid the sin debt of the believer, he did not pay for the debt of unbelievers, because then there would be no reason for them to pay a paid debt in hell. However, WHOEVER repents and trusts in Christ with saving faith will have their sin debt paid for. This does not mean that someone can want to be saved but be afraid because they are not elect and their sins won't be paid for. Anyone who effectually responds to the gospel can and will be saved and forgiven of all sin

Irressistable Grace: God saves people whether they like it or not. If God plans to save you, He will do it. For example Paul was knocked down by Jesus and blinded haha Paul wasn't searching to get grace he was attacked by grace lol

Perserverance of the saints: All true believers will perservere to the end as God's grace sustains them

After that being said, i am aware that John Calvin had some moral issues in his own life. I am not sure wether he was truly saved or not. But whether someone is saved or not does not mean their theology is wrong. Many people go to seminary and learn correct doctrine but they are not saved, they are just theologians.

This thread is not to praise TULIP or to mock TULIP

It is simply here so i can see how many share my same convictions with reformed theology. that is all

then I would say other or none of the above

Br. Barnabas
Dec 18th 2008, 06:35 PM
Not reformed.

Also must say to your statement about "But whether someone is saved or not does not mean their theology is wrong." Yes it does mean that their theology could be or would be wrong. You can learn facts or ways that people have thought. But making up ones own theology or new form of theology if one is not a Christian or "saved" means that it is most likely wrong because one is not listening to the Holy Spirit or letting the Holy Spirit shape your beliefs. Someone not saved would be listening to their own thoughts/feelings not those of the Holy Spirit and thus their theology would be wrong and bad because it is not coming from God but from the human heart/mind.

IamBill
Dec 18th 2008, 06:36 PM

In that case - I am born again, and the Bible would be my "doctrine"

Ascender
Dec 18th 2008, 06:47 PM
other than reformed

reformedct
Dec 18th 2008, 10:29 PM
Not reformed.

Also must say to your statement about "But whether someone is saved or not does not mean their theology is wrong." Yes it does mean that their theology could be or would be wrong. You can learn facts or ways that people have thought. But making up ones own theology or new form of theology if one is not a Christian or "saved" means that it is most likely wrong because one is not listening to the Holy Spirit or letting the Holy Spirit shape your beliefs. Someone not saved would be listening to their own thoughts/feelings not those of the Holy Spirit and thus their theology would be wrong and bad because it is not coming from God but from the human heart/mind.

i agree. anyone that teaches any doctrine who is not saved is most likely off. However if an unsaved person says: you are saved by grace thru faith, what they said was correct. Thats kinda what i was trying to say

WaitingforHim
Dec 19th 2008, 01:00 AM
Redeemed.. 100 percent.. by the precious blood of the Lamb.

With all respect, I find no Biblical model for labels like reformed or charismatic, etc. There are no "brands" of faith. As believers in Jesus Christ, we are given the holy Word of God illuminated by the Holy Spirit as the only source of truth.

And the Bible clearly says there is one Lord, one faith. (Ephesians 4)

WaitingforHim:bible:

Laish
Dec 19th 2008, 01:15 AM
Reformed here too
Your Brother in Christ
Bill

JesusMySavior
Dec 19th 2008, 02:45 AM
haha

Ford, Chevy...

Yamaha, Suzuki..

Jif, Skippy...

Foldgers or Colombian...

Pentecostal? Reformed?

How about a follower of Christ? or a disciple of the Lord?

Yes. I think that's the one.

reformedct
Dec 19th 2008, 02:56 AM
thank you for those who have answered so far.

You guys are right that there is one faith, one spirit, one baptism

we are ALL under the banner of the Lord Jesus Christ!

However we all interpret scripture differently at times, thus one belives salvation can be lost, and another doesn't. Yes there is one bible, but accross the nation o Christianity there are a number of ways to interpret

i appreciate you guys trying to represent unity in the body, thats great!

but like i said this is just a personal curiosity of mine to see how many people interpret scripture from a reformed point-of-view of understanding

so please just put reformed or not reformed

very simple. i do not want to know what you think about the subject or go into detail just please simply put

reformed

or

not reformed

no need to give an explanation

please keep this simple as possible:thumbsup:

Amos_with_goats
Dec 19th 2008, 03:21 AM
Sorry if this offends anyone but....

I like cheese.

mikebr
Dec 19th 2008, 04:04 AM
I seek to know nothing but Christ and Him crucified.;)

JesusMySavior
Dec 19th 2008, 02:36 PM

I like cheese.

This doesn't offend me in the slightest. I think cheese is a nice food.

Ascender
Dec 19th 2008, 02:42 PM
This doesn't offend me in the slightest. I think cheese is a nice food.

As long as it is not a processed cheese-like food substitute...:saint:

drew
Dec 19th 2008, 03:05 PM
If I have to say one or the other, I will say "not reformed". I assume we all realize, though, that one can indeed accept some teachings of the reformers and not others - that is the case with me.

mikebr
Dec 19th 2008, 03:08 PM
Do you have to be reformed to be saved? If not, what difference does it make?

grit
Dec 19th 2008, 03:30 PM
Do you have to be reformed to be saved? If not, what difference does it make?
That's just it, mikebr, (:hug:) it can soundly be apologized that yes, one does need to be reformed to be saved - though this thread is certainly not the place to do it, and the board in general might not fully appreciate it even being done at this site - even the Body of Christ at large (as yet in an unperfected state in some aspect) has sometimes been adversely affected by such struggles toward purity and peace.

Lest we forget, Calvin strongly qualified that rather than a Calvinist he thought of himself as a Biblicist; and though Reformed doctine came to a head in the Church period known as the Reformation, the very fact of calling it reformed means that its roots and essence go back to the very foundations of God-blessed Theology and Christian doctrine of the early Church and Creation itself.

- I only clarify this here, just as in clarification earlier, because the OP has similarly expanded commentary and furthered the discussion beyond simply posting "reformed" or "not reformed". I hope I'm not out-of-line to do so? :hug: -

grit
Dec 19th 2008, 03:38 PM
Redeemed.. 100 percent.. by the precious blood of the Lamb.

With all respect, I find no Biblical model for labels like reformed or charismatic, etc. There are no "brands" of faith. As believers in Jesus Christ, we are given the holy Word of God illuminated by the Holy Spirit as the only source of truth.

And the Bible clearly says there is one Lord, one faith. (Ephesians 4)

but... :hug: ... we do find room for the labels of "holy", "precious", "respect", "illuminated", and "source"; and even the label of "one". What I mean is that, sure, we are not to be unduly divided and I am completely on-board with our Lord's prayer that we be one, but we simply must give definition to what we believe, and this necessitates both label and division, even if it is some manner of our inadequate determinations of what constitutes wheat and tares or sheep and goats or light and dark or right and wrong.

-this wandering 'derailer' (me) now returns you to your regular posting broadcast - :hug:

theBelovedDisciple
Dec 19th 2008, 03:45 PM

However we all interpret scripture differently at times, thus one belives salvation can be lost, and another doesn't. Yes there is one bible, but accross the nation o Christianity there are a number of ways to interpret

but like i said this is just a personal curiosity of mine to see how many people interpret scripture from a reformed point-of-view of understanding

very simple. i do not want to know what you think about the subject or go into detail just please simply put

reformed

or

not reformed

-----------------------------------------------------------

Alrighty then...:pp lol.:pp.. I'll post again and I'll say I'm reformed:pp

By Him..... this a 'work' in progress in me and my life....after He saved me... and I do not say that I have attained or reached perfection.. but those things I put behind me.. pressing forward to that mark.. the High Calling of Jesus the Christ Himself..

grit
Dec 19th 2008, 03:49 PM
:pphee, hee... once I was blind, but now I see - reformed. :pp

ServantofTruth
Dec 19th 2008, 03:50 PM

reformed

or

not reformed

I think you are missing something great and beautiful, on this topic you started. People are standing shoulder to shoulder saying Jesus is our faith, church, doctrine.

I have started topics many times, wanting the answer i set out to get. It has annoyed me, when people refuse to play by the rules i set in the original post. :B

Perhaps you should re read the topic and see what you have achieved here. It is truely wonderful. Thank you, SofTy.

Emanate
Dec 19th 2008, 03:57 PM

When speaking on a broad topic as Christianity, do not believe that biblical model is part of the practice.

reformedct
Dec 19th 2008, 05:52 PM

I like cheese.

hahahahahah i gotta admit that caught me off guard lol

WaitingforHim
Dec 22nd 2008, 12:10 PM
I reiterate my respectful, heartfelt call for the avoidance of what amounts to theological profiling. Just as we should never judge another person by their race, we should never judge another believer by a theological label.

The minute we use such a "label" to define ourselves, to define our differing beliefs with respect to Biblical interpretations, there are many who will not hear a word we say from that point on.

Thus we are instantly divided by false loyalties to particular denominations or teachers or systems of theology. This is what I think should be avoided.

Our only allegiance or identifying marks as believers should be our devotion to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and our unwaivering commitment to live in accordance with His Word.

We can learn from each other. Bless each other. Encourage one another and yes be obedient to the Scriptures in the one faith.. as long as we do not allow "labels" to artificially divide us and create unnecessary judgment and distrust.

1 Corinthians 1:10-13

"Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided?.."

May the Lord by His Spirit grant us this unity. What a witness to the world and a blessing to the body of Christ.

Veretax
Dec 22nd 2008, 12:48 PM
I am formerly of "reformed" faith. I do not currently claim to be thus though.

that's all I can say without digging deeper :D

Butch5
Dec 22nd 2008, 08:45 PM

Absolutely, positively, beyond any shadow of a doubt, not in any way shape or form, am I reformed.

Whispering Grace
Dec 22nd 2008, 11:40 PM
I am reformed Reformed. :cool:

keck553
Dec 22nd 2008, 11:42 PM
Conformed......

Whispering Grace
Dec 22nd 2008, 11:43 PM
Conformed......

Informed.......

Whispering Grace
Dec 22nd 2008, 11:44 PM
Transformed......

JesusMySavior
Dec 29th 2008, 04:15 AM
Cheese..........

poochie
Dec 29th 2008, 04:28 AM
I'm a Bible believing follower of Christ. I deny the Reformed doctrines and Reformed theology.