PDA

View Full Version : If you love God with all your heart . . .

iyulchik
Dec 18th 2008, 10:48 AM
If you love God with all your heart, but you want to worship other gods, too, is that a sin? Is it okay as long as you don't make images to them?

Is it okay to say, "oh my god!" or "Jesus!" Is that a sin?

And why is it wrong to kill?

I'm not saying that I want to kill, go around exclaiming "oh my god" or worship other gods. I don't want to do any of those things. It's just a question. Are these things sins? Why?

theBelovedDisciple
Dec 18th 2008, 04:08 PM
If you love God with all your heart, but you want to worship other gods, too, is that a sin? Is it okay as long as you don't make images to them?

I'm not saying that I want to kill, go around exclaiming "oh my god" or worship other gods. I don't want to do any of those things. It's just a question. Are these things sins? Why?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

When I love God with my whole heart .. its because HE FIRST LOVED ME... and coming to the Revelation of that makes worshipping any other 'god's' ... very foreign.... its repugnant to my spirit and soul.....when You have God touch your heart and set you free thru His Grace and Mercy...then there is nothing else... Your mind, your whole person focuses on Him.. cause no body .. and I mean nobody or any 'other' God can do what He does.. and that is to 'forgive' you and release you from that prison of condemnation, guilt, and fear. This thru His work on that Bloody Tree.. when He said 'it is Finished'... He meant it.. Worshipping 'other gods' is called Idolatry.. Paul revealed in the NT teachings that it is actually 'devil worship'.. and yes its 'sin'.. Killing or the taking of innocent life ( people) .. murder... begins in the heart.. it proceeds from the heart.. murders Jesus called them.. and it comes full force when the person commits the act....

HisLeast
Dec 18th 2008, 04:14 PM
If you love your wife / husband with "all your heart, would it be cool if you had sex with other people? Would it be ok so long as you didn't wear someone else's ring?

In my mind, absolutely. Its calling on the name of the Lord, not for praise, thanksgiving, or supplication, but to express personal passion only. You're invoking God as a means to swear.

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2008, 04:19 PM

I think we do the best we can with what we're given..and hope that God sees this in the end. Being faithful is difficult to do..and even moreso when one experiences trials. I think God is a God of mercy, just as much is he is of justice. I don't have all of the answers to how God will judge each situation..but I'm certain he'll look at all of the factors invovled regarding such a situation..and judge righteously.

Silent Wings
Dec 18th 2008, 04:22 PM

Worship and serve God only. (Luke 4:8)

It is okay…especially with your last dying breath. (Acts 7:59-60)

It is wrong to murder…especially if you wish not to take up residence in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death. (Revelation 21:8)

It’s so good to hear that you don’t want to “kill or go around exclaiming "oh my god" or worship other gods,” so now you can begin doing all that you do for the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31), while seeking first the Kingdom of Christ and His righteousness. (Matthew 6:33)

Luke 4:8
And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Acts 7:59-60

59And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
60And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Revelation 21:8

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

1 Corinthians 10:31

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Matthew 6:33

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

ServantofTruth
Dec 18th 2008, 04:35 PM

Probably the most frequently used verse to answer your first question is John 14:6 Jesus said, I am the Way, I am the Truth and the Life.
No one can come to the Father except through me.

If you love God, the next thing you need to do, is to get to know Him, which means to grow in faith. The bible is a big book and we 'believers' need to know what it ALL says. But there is plenty of time, if you are listening to mature Christians and in a church.

I would advise that you read the bible every day and ask God's Spirit to guide this reading and your life daily.

This reading will show you that there are no other god's except false ones of human creation. Would you worship a piece of wood or metal? Would you believe a clever book writen by a clever person and put it as equal to the Inspired Word of God?

No it is not OK to take the Lord's name in vain. Do i occassionally fall into this sin, yes.

The commandment is closer to - Do not murder. This is slightly different to killing.

Perhaps take a look at Matthew chapter 6:10-13 The Lord's prayer. The whole prayer is lovely, but line 2 may help you.

may your name be held holy.

Thank you for sharing, SofTy.

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2008, 04:43 PM
Good posts and insights by everyone. I think it's good to leave these things open ended..to a degree...as we don't know how God judges all things in the end. My thought would be that God looks at things on a case by case basis, and makes decisions on all factors involved. We all screw up during this walk of life unfortunately..and hopefully during the process of learning and growing..we are able to look at each other from an "I understand and sympathisize what you're going through" perspective..as oppossed to a condemning one.

FaithfulSheep
Dec 18th 2008, 06:25 PM

Exodus 20:3 - You shall have no other gods before me.
Deuteronomy 6:14 - You shall not follow other gods, any of the gods of the peoples who surround you.
Deuteronomy 11:16 - Beware that your hearts are not deceived, and that you do not turn away and serve other gods and worship them.

If you are honestly crying out to God or Jesus and talking to them personally, no. If you are using their names in vain, yes.

Deuteronomy 5:11 - You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

Ephesians 5:3-4 - But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as become saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

The Bible doesn't say it is wrong to kill, it says it is wrong to murder. There is a difference between the two.

Exodus 20:13 - Thou shalt not murder.
Romans 1:28-29 - ...God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, 29being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips...

Tanya~
Dec 18th 2008, 06:52 PM
Hi iyulchik,

If you love God with all your heart, then you will not want to worship other Gods. In the Bible, God compares his relationship with His people with that of a husband and wife. He is the husband, we are the wife. And if we want to worship other gods, it is the spiritual equivalent of a wife wanting to commit adultery with other men. So yes it is sin. God is jealous of us in the way a husband would be jealous if his wife were to cheat on him. You can read about this in the book of Hosea.

Is it okay to say, "oh my god!" or "Jesus!" Is that a sin?If we are saying these things in a thoughtless manner not respecting the power of the name of God then yes, it is like calling on the name of God but not meaning anything by it. It would be like me calling you over, "Help me!" and then when you got there I would say, what are you doing here? I didn't need you for anything. You can say "Oh my God" or "Jesus!" if you are calling for Him though.

Ex 20:7
"You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
NKJV

And why is it wrong to kill?Because man was made in the image of God.

Gen 9:6
Whoever sheds man's blood,
By man his blood shall be shed;
For in the image of God
He made man.
NKJV