PDA

View Full Version : The lack in Christ's afflictions

Brother Mark
Dec 18th 2008, 12:59 PM
Col 1:24

24 Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body (which is the church) in filling up that which is lacking in Christ's afflictions.
NASB

Even in the day of Paul, there were believers who did not share in the afflictions of Christ. Have you taken up your cross and followed Him? Just as He did here on the earth, the Christ in us, the hope of glory, will march towards the cross.

Blessings,

Mark

daughter
Dec 18th 2008, 01:30 PM
Hey Mark... my son picked up on that verse just a few days ago! He first thought Paul was talking nonsense, as though Christ's afflictions were lacking something... then he realised that it was us who lack those afflictions, and Paul was talking sense.

mikebr
Dec 18th 2008, 01:34 PM
Col 1:24

24 Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body (which is the church) in filling up that which is lacking in Christ's afflictions.
NASB

Even in the day of Paul, there were believers who did not share in the afflictions of Christ. Have you taken up your cross and followed Him? Just as He did here on the earth, the Christ in us, the hope of glory, will march towards the cross.

Blessings,

Mark

What does it mean to take up your cross and follow him? How do you share in His afflictions today?

Brother Mark
Dec 18th 2008, 01:36 PM
Hey Mark... my son picked up on that verse just a few days ago! He first thought Paul was talking nonsense, as though Christ's afflictions were lacking something... then he realised that it was us who lack those afflictions, and Paul was talking sense.

I hope to meet your son one day Mary. I would love to just sit down and talk with you and him. It's fascinating to me that Seamus and I are on the same page at times. I suppose it shouldn't be sense he is a believer and God is always on the same page.

This is a great verse, IMO. Paul goes on to say something very, very interesting.

Col 1:28-29
29 And for this purpose also I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me.
NASB

The power of God working from in us to those around us, IMO, is directly proportional to the amount of suffering/embracing of the cross that we do. There must be a releasing of the Spirit in our lives and that only comes through a breaking of the veil of our soul and body. I am going to post more on this later in maturing in Christ. But I thought I would throw the verse at the top out there in bc to see what kind of response it go.

Brother Mark
Dec 18th 2008, 01:38 PM
What does it mean to take up your cross and follow him? How do you share in His afflictions today?

By being conformed to his image to the point we, like Paul, consider ourselves dead to the world (i.e. the lust of the eye, flesh and the boastful pride of life) and the world dead to us. It is overcoming sin, our will, our passion, our desires, and being conformed to His image. Christ will walk us to that cross.

mikebr
Dec 18th 2008, 01:41 PM
By being conformed to his image to the point we, like Paul, consider ourselves dead to the world and the world dead to us. It is overcoming sin, our will, our passion, our desires, and being conformed to His image. Christ will walk us to that cross.

I just don't feel afflicted at all. I feel blessed most days. I work at a public school where I am allowed to be a Christian. Our principal gets on the intercom daily and asks the kids to please remember the true meaning of Christmas. He tells them he loves them and that he prays for them. All my children and most of my family are saved. I live in a part of the country where most people go to church. Am I doing something wrong?

tt1106
Dec 18th 2008, 03:07 PM
Yes, I am carrying my cross. I have asked God to convict me on anything that is not of him. He does that on a regular basis. I read his word almost daily (I try to read daily, but I miss the mark on occassion).
I attempt to live in righteousness and I witness daily. Christ is very evident in my life and I have occassions all the itme to lead others towards the cross.
Where I struggle is in my church life. I attend several churches, but my Home church is very lukewarm and is afflicted. Because of affluence, the congregation deosn't serve. They will write checks like it's nobody's business but they do not serve.
the evidence of the world in my church has led to me almost leaving on more than one occassion. I will also say that the believers in my church are wonderful loving people, but they are clearly not ready to address sin inside or outside the church.

kenrank
Dec 18th 2008, 03:17 PM
By being conformed to his image to the point we, like Paul, consider ourselves dead to the world (i.e. the lust of the eye, flesh and the boastful pride of life) and the world dead to us. It is overcoming sin, our will, our passion, our desires, and being conformed to His image. Christ will walk us to that cross.

Good answer Mark. We die to ourselves and then through effort, keep the old man down.

Peace.
Ken

Walstib
Dec 18th 2008, 03:55 PM
To me this speaks not of physical suffering, but the suffering involved in the battle against listening to the desires of our flesh in our thought life.

For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. (Gal 5:17 NKJV)

The flesh cries out to sin and rebel, the Spirit gently instructs to what is right, we have to decide in the depths of our soul what course we shall take instant by instant. I think it is easier to sin and we are called to endure temptation.

Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. (Jas 1:12 NKJV)

While it may seem the suffering is too much to bear, one has to give in, there is no excuse to not stand and endure.

Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. (1Co 10:12-13 NKJV)

And Jesus being fully Man shared in this suffering like us.

For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.(Heb 4:15 NKJV)

We can suffer with Jesus in this way I think. Something to be joyful and thankful about in the long run

The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. (Rom 8:16-18 NKJV)

Have I taken up my cross and followed Him? More and more I guess, but I trust what He did on His cross to save me. Not how well I carry my own cross.

For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross. And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight-- if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.(Col 1:19-23 NKJV)

Peace,
Joe