PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Angels

Connie Sue
Dec 19th 2008, 08:20 PM
Do angels have wings ?

I don't believe they do.

What do you think?

Are there any scriptures to back this up?

David Taylor
Dec 19th 2008, 08:33 PM
The scriptures never explicitly say "angels" have wings.

However, the scriptures seem to imply that Seraphim and Cherubim are types of angels (by their heavenly-host associations with angels); and both of them (Seraphim and Cherubim) specifically have wings according to Scripture.

Winged Cherubim example:
Genesis 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Exodus 25:18 And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them, in the two ends of the mercy seat. And make one cherub on the one end, and the other cherub on the other end: even of the mercy seat shall ye make the cherubims on the two ends thereof. And the cherubims shall stretch forth their wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings"

Winged Seraphim example:
Ezekiel 6:1 "In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the LORD sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory."

Most biblical scholars believe the 4 living creatures/beasts described in Heaven in Revelation are Seraphim, because of their similar description with the Ezekiel passage above:

Revelation 4:6 "And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind. And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle. And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, LORD God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come."

Also the 4 Living Creatures/Beasts are often grouped in close association to "angels" is found in passage like these:

Revelation 5:11 "And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing."

Revelation 7:11 "And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God, Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen." round about the throne

All seem to be some form of Heavenly-host.

uric3
Dec 19th 2008, 09:26 PM
Do angels have wings ?

I don't believe they do.

What do you think?

Are there any scriptures to back this up?

The only passage I can think of that mentions them having wings is in

Zechariah 5:8-10 and he records there that they had wings like a stork.

However I think they can change form... because we see passages where they look human because Abraham and Gideon and several others talk to angels don't even realize it until their gone...then we have other accounts where the writer knows it was an angel...

Also passages such as 2 Cor 11:14 14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

not exactly sure but its a thought...

Connie Sue
Dec 19th 2008, 09:49 PM
I was told that angels didn't have wings,
and you shouldn't have any statues of angels in your home because they brought demons in. :lol:

Thanks you guys for the scriptures. :D

Connie Sue
Dec 19th 2008, 09:54 PM

However I think they can change form... because we see passages where they look human because Abraham and Gideon and several others talk to angels don't even realize it until their gone...then we have other accounts where the writer knows it was an angel...

Also passages such as 2 Cor 11:14 14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

not exactly sure but its a thought...

uric3, do you know of any scriptures about demons showing themselves as light? Something else I was told. :confused

David Taylor
Dec 19th 2008, 09:54 PM

Interesting post; however when looking into the fuller context of that passage; Zechariah is having a conversation with The Angel of the Lord, and TAOTL then begins to speak of seeing two women, not two angels.

Nowhere in that passage are the two winged women called angels.

The entire passage of Zechariah 3-6 is highly symbolic, (Joseph in filthy garments, stone with seven eyes, golden candlestick with seven lamps, two olive trees, golden oil, a flying roll, and ephah/"bushel" of lead, two winged women, a brass mountain, four colored chariots and horses, etc)

so it is only speculation to assume the 'two winged women' are angels. Sometimes the term 'men' is used interchangebly with angels in other passaegs; but the context in those cases also use 'angel' explicitly. This one doesn't appear to do so.

Ekeak
Dec 20th 2008, 02:50 PM
Well, I personally believe that angels can "be" whatever form God wants them to be or gives them the power to choose to be. Not many have seen angels. I also believe angels are true only in spiritual form, meaning they can be (physically) an old lady or trace adkins.

matthew7and1
Dec 20th 2008, 02:55 PM
Well, I personally believe that angels can "be" whatever form God wants them to be or gives them the power to choose to be. Not many have seen angels. I also believe angels are true only in spiritual form, meaning they can be (physically) an old lady or trace adkins.
yup yup yup yup. :saint:
sounds about right!

neverleaveunorfors
Dec 21st 2008, 03:22 AM
hebrews 13:2 do not fotget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angles So an angle does not always have wings they can take on an type of apperance they wish to . aand if an angel has been sent by God to you to reciece a message from him there will be a great fear you will feel the presance of God almost like you are being judged by god so do good and love one another live by his ten commadments and the eleventh to love one another ! love James