PDA

View Full Version : Wow, national geographic

InSchoolStudy
Dec 19th 2008, 10:01 PM
I was lookin at some movies in on demand, and it has this little window while you browse movies to buy/watch that shows advertisements. One came up about the national geographic doing a study on the gospels and Jesus birth. I started to listen for a few minutes and they go on to explain how the bible is fake and all the gospels were written in at a later time, that it all doesnt make sense.

Heres my question, I cant even believe im going to say this but it does in fact cast doubt in my mind, I actually had to stop and think, what if it was a hoax and im one of those crazy people, like we view cults and satanism as crazy people.

But I know my God exists and his fire is filled within me, I almost enjoy people saying its fake becuase it makes my relationship with Christ stronger, knowing I have Jesus and always will.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

keck553
Dec 19th 2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah, NG has an article on Herod this month. They pretty much glorify him.

Most of the Apostalic writings were written during a time there were still live witnesses to all the events recorded.. Any refutes would have been documented.

InSchoolStudy
Dec 19th 2008, 11:40 PM
"matthew and luke are the first to write the birth storys and they have no evidence
in fact the two gospels are so thin on details that much of the nativity story we know comes from later writings, folk tales."

exact quote, I just happened to hear it 20 seconds ago while on my computer.

John27
Dec 20th 2008, 12:23 AM
Even though the gospels were written after the life and times of Jesus God inspired these men who wrote them. Not to mention John was written by John the Appostle, whom was merely a boy in Jesus lifetime but in his old age he wrote the events down. What else is remarkable is that none of the men who wrote these were together when they were written. Instead each one is the seperate accounts of these seperate people and yet they clarly define the same items almost perfectly.

As far as the Bible being fake, it isn't reason being is that the bible is not a ficticous story but instead it is inspired by God through its writers. Thus if you read the book of Enoch, you'll notice it is different from the bible writtings because the author was not inspired by God.

Romber
Dec 20th 2008, 01:56 AM
Hi InSchoolStudy,

Don't take what they say to heart. Like everything else in this world, they are trying to remove a God. Evolution is taught as solid fact in the classrooms (and it is far from it), but do you believe it? Of course not. Don't let the show cast doubts into your mind!

Just a tip, being a Christian is not so easy in these times. Everyone is against you with an Evolutionistic worldview, which is quite bleak and harsh tbh. You will always have slanted stories thrown at you, and absurd biases being taught.

Trust your heart. Your God is creator of all. You know what he has done, and will do. Don't let the devil open that door for himself.

thepenitent
Dec 20th 2008, 02:14 AM
I was lookin at some movies in on demand, and it has this little window while you browse movies to buy/watch that shows advertisements. One came up about the national geographic doing a study on the gospels and Jesus birth. I started to listen for a few minutes and they go on to explain how the bible is fake and all the gospels were written in at a later time, that it all doesnt make sense.

Heres my question, I cant even believe im going to say this but it does in fact cast doubt in my mind, I actually had to stop and think, what if it was a hoax and im one of those crazy people, like we view cults and satanism as crazy people.

But I know my God exists and his fire is filled within me, I almost enjoy people saying its fake becuase it makes my relationship with Christ stronger, knowing I have Jesus and always will.

DO NOT buy into any of the Nat. Geo stuff. (or any of "The Discovery Network" shows) They were and are heavily influenced (dominated) by the ultra-liberal, anti-Christian, "Jesus Seminar" school of theology and historical revisionism roaming the happy halls of liberal college academia. (McCrossen, Spong, Ehrman, etc.) they have been discredited by many. Lee Strobel's recent book, "The case for the Real Jesus", is largely devoted to debunking these pseudo-scholars. See also the work of Dr. Craig Evans - One of the professors who founded "The Dead Sea Scrolls Institute". He is one the most respected Professors of ancient Biblical texts in the world and he throughly destroys any notion the Gnostic texts are historically reliable and worthy of consideration along with the four acknowledged Gospels. Relax and read the above mentioned apologetics. The facts and dates we have for the Gospel events are the most accurate, attested and documented events in ancient history. The sheer volume and breath of the documentation compared to other well accepted events in antiquity is breathtaking.

OldChurchGuy
Dec 20th 2008, 03:24 AM

From my perspective, doubt is a good thing as it forces one to think and decide. I have experienced doubt more than once yet each time I examine my beliefs I have eventually come back to believing that God exists.

At this point in my life, whether Matthew or Luke wrote factual stories about 50 years after the fact or whether they were using literary symbols that would resonate with their intended audiences is not as important as the belief that God exists.

For me, the Bible is first and foremost a book of faith. Trying to equate it as a book of fact would, for me anyway, make it like an almanac or an encyclopedia. That is unappealing for me.

Bottom line is that God gave us brains which enable us to think and ponder.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

crossnote
Dec 20th 2008, 06:37 AM

Two scripture quotes in response.
First one is dedicated to the NG and others of their ilk. (the first words of satan in the bible) "Yea, hath God said, " (Gen 3:1)

The second scripture is for your encouragement.though spoken to Peter it generally applies to us all, for He is also our High Priest and eternal Intercessor (read Hebrews).
But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not. (Luk 22:32)

Gulah Papyrus
Dec 20th 2008, 07:25 AM
One of my favorite quotes of Thomas Jefferson...

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."

National Geographic is VERY biased on issues regarding the reliability of the Bible. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do the research yourself. If you have doubts then bring them to God. If He is real, your doubts will be eased...but search it out yourself, your faith will be stronger than ever when you learn the truth about these bogus claims

People have been trying to bring down the Word for over 2000 years and there is a very good reason that they have had NO success. :spin:

Ekeak
Dec 20th 2008, 02:40 PM
33.32% of people in the world are Christian.

John 20:26-29 (New King James Version)

26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”
28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas,[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2020:26-29;&version=50;#fen-NKJV-26891a)] because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

reformedct
Dec 20th 2008, 04:22 PM

Think of it this way...

if the Bible is fake, why is everything that was prophisied about the end times coming to pass?

The Bible prophesied that there would be a one world government, and we are begginning to see a push for it. The Bible says in the end many believers will be persecuted. It is already happenning and will continue in the future. The bible says the time will come where people will call evil good. Just look at America. Guys who have sex with tons of women are glorified. Gay marriage is now almost acceptable by 50% of Californians. the world is changing exactly as prophesied. If Jesus weren't real, why would he have made such a long lasting, global impact? Why are millions of Christians in 3rd world countries willing to be thrown in jail and killed for their faith?

Let these people believe what they want about the Scriptures

The first temptation from Satan in the garden was "is that really what God said?"

it the same old tactic from thousands of years ago. Questioning God's Words.

Just pray earnestly to God that He will awaken a deep sense of conviction over the validity of His word

although many who claim to be christians are not, Christianity is the largest religion worldwide

People want to tear down Christianity because they want to tear down the One True God of christianity who commands them to repent. Mankind wants to be their own gods, but the God of the Bible tells them no, you must serve Me, and Me alone. You must accept My Son, he is the ONly Way.

This why people hate the bible. It strips them of their evil arrogant pride, aka as "self-esteem" and it tells them all their religions are false. It says that Allah is a demon and a false God. It says Hinduism is false. this is why people HATE the BIble

man wants to feel like he calls the shots and he says what is right and wrong. He wants to be like god. It is the original sin of Adam and it will be the last one

Joe King
Dec 20th 2008, 05:50 PM
Prophecy and Jesus are two things that they will never discuss because of the overwhelming evidence of truth in them.

That's why they dismiss them as folk tales and avoid talking about Jesus or prophecy directly.

OldChurchGuy
Dec 22nd 2008, 04:18 PM
DO NOT buy into any of the Nat. Geo stuff. (or any of "The Discovery Network" shows) They were and are heavily influenced (dominated) by the ultra-liberal, anti-Christian, "Jesus Seminar" school of theology and historical revisionism roaming the happy halls of liberal college academia. (McCrossen, Spong, Ehrman, etc.) they have been discredited by many. Lee Strobel's recent book, "The case for the Real Jesus", is largely devoted to debunking these pseudo-scholars. See also the work of Dr. Craig Evans - One of the professors who founded "The Dead Sea Scrolls Institute". He is one the most respected Professors of ancient Biblical texts in the world and he throughly destroys any notion the Gnostic texts are historically reliable and worthy of consideration along with the four acknowledged Gospels. Relax and read the above mentioned apologetics. The facts and dates we have for the Gospel events are the most accurate, attested and documented events in ancient history. The sheer volume and breath of the documentation compared to other well accepted events in antiquity is breathtaking.

I have an idea what a "liberal" is from a political perspective, but what are the characteristics of a "theological liberal"? What makes such a person dangerous compared to an Apologist?

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Grace40
Dec 22nd 2008, 05:04 PM
I work with a man that is a atheist and it is hard because alot of what he says makes sence. It has really caused my faith to decrease. I have prayed about this and the other day the Lord told me to read Corinthians and it has really helped me.:)

moonglow
Dec 22nd 2008, 05:20 PM

Did you realize you said two opposite things here? First saying it DID cast doubt on your mind...THEN saying it makes your faith stronger? That was kind of confusing to me how you put that...

At any rate I agree with the others, there are certain programs that are constantly trashing the bible and they lie to do it! They don't address the historical or archaeological evident outside the bible that proves the bible is true! Not to mention all the bible prophecies that have already come true! I find it odd that these producers would spend so much time and money trashing something they think isn't true to start with...not unless they feel somehow threatened...again is the 'me thinks thou protest too much'...why bother with something you believe is untrue? That would be like me taking thousands of dollars to put on a program to prove there are no pink elephants in the sky...people would start to wonder if I really thought there was pink elephants in the sky! It has the opposite effect in other words.

Whenever you have any doubts this in the time to do the research! And find the truth!

This site is great for people who find themselves questioning things or doubting...

http://www.carm.org/

Wasn't the New Testament written hundreds of years after Christ?
(http://www.carm.org/questions/written_after.htm)

Non biblical accounts of New Testament events and/or people (http://www.carm.org/questions/extrabiblical_accounts.htm)

Archaeological Evidence verifying biblical cities (http://www.carm.org/questions/evidence_archaeological.htm)

From another site:
Fulfilled Prophecies and Other Evidence that the Bible is the Word of God (http://www.matthewmcgee.org/prophesy.html)

God bless

Gulah Papyrus
Dec 22nd 2008, 05:20 PM
I work with a man that is a atheist and it is hard because alot of what he says makes sence. It has really caused my faith to decrease. I have prayed about this and the other day the Lord told me to read Corinthians and it has really helped me.:)

Yep, again, atheists are not stupid. Quite often they seem to know more about the contents of the Bible than many Christians(Satan knows every word cover to cover). Look at your doubt as an opportunity to learn and to grow your faith. Don't be afraid to put the Bible to the test...it WILL pass with flying colors.

keck553
Dec 22nd 2008, 05:22 PM
The evidence for me is that I know Him, and He knows me. As well as anyone. That's enough for me.

Zack702
Dec 25th 2008, 09:58 AM
I don't see how they can deny it though. It was compiled after the fact the first book makes that obvious. But certainly the meaning was something that was waiting to be written.

If we are talking historicly the fact that there is a record of Herods rule and also almost the same record in the bible is even obvious proof that it is worthy to accept for historical purposes. Even though they do argue the exact year of Herods death it is at least very close to the biblical account according to historical accounts and theories. And that article in NG about Herod said that he is most known for trying to kill Jesus.

Even all the history of the people from Egypt to Syria and beyond found in the bible are being confirmed in archeological digs around that area.

Even Nebuchadnezzar and Cyrus whos wars and life were mentioned in the OT have been confirmed according to translators of ancient text found in the ruins. Even the capture of Israel and the rebuilding of the temple 70 years later.

And this means that Israel really did have the book of Moses and they really did build temples for God who was written in it. I don't see how anyone can deny it because all the history is there.

student of the Lamb
Dec 25th 2008, 03:25 PM
I recently started watching a program that was either from the National Goegraphic channel or the Discovery channel. It was about Noah and the ark. They said that there was no way that a person or group of people could build a boat like the ark in those days. They said that there was no way that all the creatures could be collected into the ark.

I also started to watch a program where they tried to debunk the 10 plagues upon Egypt, the destruction of Pharaoh and his army and the spreading of the Red Sea.

These historians continue to disregard the possiblity of a supernatural power. They seem to write off the possiblity that to God all things are possible.