PDA

View Full Version : Why did Adam give Eve a personal name only after the Fall?

vbc
Dec 20th 2008, 08:25 AM
1. Before the Fall, Adam seems to be just "identifying her" like any other animal...and he only gives her a personal name after the Fall.

2. When did God name Adam? Did he give him a personal name? When did Adam become a generic term for all mankind?

daughter
Dec 20th 2008, 10:34 AM
That's actually a really astute question, and not something I'd ever picked up on... That Eve was called "Cheva" only after the fall.

I don't think that Adam was being disrespectful when he named her "Woman" - after all, this name comes as part of the world's oldest love poem. (My son once said that maybe he called her woman because "his eyes were popping out on stalks, she was so beautiful, and he went 'woah... man!'" But that's what you get when kids read too many comic books. :lol:)

But the name "Cheva" means, "living" - and Adam called her that because she became the mother of all life. (Human life). Perhaps this is because she didn't become a mother after the fall, and her new name is to do with her new status?

As for whether Adam ever had another name... I don't know.

But I do like the quick catch you made here, you've spotted a subtlety which is interesting. (Though not to do with salvation, it does show you're reading with close attention, and that's a good thing.)

Kahtar
Dec 20th 2008, 01:02 PM
I found it interesting that it was after the fall, after their actions had passed death upon all their seed, that he chose to call her Mother of all living. Seems a little ironic, at first.
But then, it was to be the seed of the woman Who would bring life to all men. That seed would come through her. Therefore, she ideed was the mother of all living.

Revinius
Dec 22nd 2008, 03:05 AM
I found it interesting that it was after the fall, after their actions had passed death upon all their seed, that he chose to call her Mother of all living. Seems a little ironic, at first.
But then, it was to be the seed of the woman Who would bring life to all men. That seed would come through her. Therefore, she ideed was the mother of all living.

Yeah, given Jesus (the one who gives life) and the fact that we are dead in our sin, the naming makes a whole lot of sense within biblical theology.

sapphire904
Dec 24th 2008, 04:47 PM
I find that interesting, too, that Eve was not named until after the fall. I've never really thought too much on it as an important detail, though. Adam is hebrew for "man" or "mankind" depending on the text. I think Adamah means "dust" or "ground" and ha-adam means "the man". When the articles are dropped, we get Adam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_and_Eve

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/feedback/2006/0120.asp