PDA

View Full Version : rewarded but not rejected

InSchoolStudy
Dec 22nd 2008, 04:03 AM
I was reading through a couple books in the bible over the course of the summer/this fall season and it kind of painted a picture in my head, also I have a couple questions.

Once your physical body is dead or the rapture happens, you are judged right? whether you are a Christian or not. But Christ died for our sins and we are cleansed so we are still accepted into his pearly gates, but the rest go to hell.

So we all get judged... just thought about that, about all the things I have done, that days not gonna be fun.

Anyways back to my point, about five years ago I heard a pastor at a different church ( I go to a lot of churches ) speak about something but he brought up that those who follow Christ really well, get marks ( metaphorically? ) like when they lead some one to Christ, and when you get to heaven, you will receive those, whether they be jewels or crowns or something, we will be in so much awe of Christ that we will want to give him stuff, so we will give him these jewels, or crowns ( what ever it be ).

Now this was a long time ago and I may of misinterpreted it a lot but, as I read through these books it reminded me of this and I had to ask here.

thanks

Butch5
Dec 22nd 2008, 04:33 AM
I was reading through a couple books in the bible over the course of the summer/this fall season and it kind of painted a picture in my head, also I have a couple questions.

Once your physical body is dead or the rapture happens, you are judged right? whether you are a Christian or not. But Christ died for our sins and we are cleansed so we are still accepted into his pearly gates, but the rest go to hell.

So we all get judged... just thought about that, about all the things I have done, that days not gonna be fun.

Anyways back to my point, about five years ago I heard a pastor at a different church ( I go to a lot of churches ) speak about something but he brought up that those who follow Christ really well, get marks ( metaphorically? ) like when they lead some one to Christ, and when you get to heaven, you will receive those, whether they be jewels or crowns or something, we will be in so much awe of Christ that we will want to give him stuff, so we will give him these jewels, or crowns ( what ever it be ).

Now this was a long time ago and I may of misinterpreted it a lot but, as I read through these books it reminded me of this and I had to ask here.

thanks

Hi Inschool,

Yes, everyone will be judged according to what we have done in the body. Those who have done good to everlasting life those who have done evil to damnation. There will be rewards as Jesus' parable of the talents shows. However, how does anyone know what they will do with these rewards?

RogerW
Dec 22nd 2008, 05:05 PM

thanks

Greetings ISS,

At the judgment seat of Christ, unbelievers are judged in their physical bodies, for what they have done in the body. But believers, although present at the judgment have already received our glorified spiritual bodies when Christ came again at the last trump. 1Co 15 shows us that believers will be changed from corruptible, mortal bodies of flesh to incorruptible, immortal spiritual bodies at His coming, and before the Judgment Day. So believers are not judged, only the dead (see Rev 20:11-15) are judged according to things written in the books, according to their works. These are not found written in the book of life, so they are cast into the lake of fire.

Believers are not among the dead because we are already clothed with our glorified spiritual bodies because we had already been given everlasting life in Christ when we first believed and were born again.

As for rewards for things done in this life...we receive either a full reward, that is eternal life with the Lord, or we receive no reward and condemnation. It is God working in us to both will and do of His good pleasure. Therefore believers will do good works, but if we receive reward(s) for these good works, then we would have something to boast of or brag about. All the glory is to God alone, and He alone is our GREAT REWARD!

When speaking of eternal reward, Scripture never uses the term in a plural form. Reward...is always singular when speaking of our eternal inheritance.

Many Blessings,
RW

Yukerboy
Dec 22nd 2008, 06:18 PM
While I agree with Roger on a number of things, especially along the lines of eternal security, the reward one receives will be different than the reward another receives.

If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

As you can see in this passage, a man can still suffer loss through his works being burned up, yet he himself is saved. You have salvation, which is a gift, and rewards, which are earned. You cannot earn salvation, just as rewards are not given to you for doing nothing.

because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free.

reformedct
Dec 22nd 2008, 06:31 PM
Greetings ISS,

At the judgment seat of Christ, unbelievers are judged in their physical bodies, for what they have done in the body. But believers, although present at the judgment have already received our glorified spiritual bodies when Christ came again at the last trump. 1Co 15 shows us that believers will be changed from corruptible, mortal bodies of flesh to incorruptible, immortal spiritual bodies at His coming, and before the Judgment Day. So believers are not judged, only the dead (see Rev 20:11-15) are judged according to things written in the books, according to their works. These are not found written in the book of life, so they are cast into the lake of fire.

Believers are not among the dead because we are already clothed with our glorified spiritual bodies because we had already been given everlasting life in Christ when we first believed and were born again.

As for rewards for things done in this life...we receive either a full reward, that is eternal life with the Lord, or we receive no reward and condemnation. It is God working in us to both will and do of His good pleasure. Therefore believers will do good works, but if we receive reward(s) for these good works, then we would have something to boast of or brag about. All the glory is to God alone, and He alone is our GREAT REWARD!

When speaking of eternal reward, Scripture never uses the term in a plural form. Reward...is always singular when speaking of our eternal inheritance.

Many Blessings,
RW

it is my view that the rewards will be kind of like crowns of glory. Like marks that show how God was glorified in your life. Not as glory to us as individuals but as testimonies for God. For example an art gallery. Lots of different paintings showcased for the glory of the artist. In the same sense i think our "rewards" will be crowns of glory and we will be showcased for our brothers and sisters to see us as artwork of God

remember Paul was saying some people denied being set free from persecution for their faith so that they may attain a "better" ressurection. Remember Jesus's glorified body still had the scars in his hands feet and sides, as a testimony to the great work of God

but the ultimate overall reward is eternal life with God. It is also interesting how a man in Acts was always praying to the Lord and the Lord said his prayers were like a glorious monument before him in heaven. so im not sure exactly how it will all pan out

Just_Another_Guy
Dec 22nd 2008, 06:52 PM
It's hard to say what everyone will receive in the end. I think ideally we all should continue doing good while we're here on earth in the present, and not look forward to receiving anything other than doing what you've done for the greater good.(of mankind)

If we all make our best reward that of demonstrating kindness unto others..then we won't really care about what we will be receiving..and care more about what we can give.

Friend of I AM
Dec 22nd 2008, 07:41 PM
I think everyone will receive God's mercy, tempered with righteous judgement in the end. If the only thing we have to look forward to is just God's judgement of us..then there is really not much to look forward too.

RogerW
Dec 22nd 2008, 09:52 PM
While I agree with Roger on a number of things, especially along the lines of eternal security, the reward one receives will be different than the reward another receives.

If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

As you can see in this passage, a man can still suffer loss through his works being burned up, yet he himself is saved. You have salvation, which is a gift, and rewards, which are earned. You cannot earn salvation, just as rewards are not given to you for doing nothing.

because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free.

Hi Yuke,

I used to view this passage in the same way, and thought perhaps it was telling us to look for rewards in the judgment. Obviously, I've changed my opinion. To understand this passage it must be read in context.

In context Paul calls the Corinthians carnal Christians, because their is envy, strife and division among them. One man was saying they follow Christ, another Cephas, another Paul still another Apollos (see also 1Co 1:12). In this Paul is saying they are behaving as unsaved men. Are not all these men not one in Christ and of the same Spirit, ministers by whom the Corinthians believed? Paul tells them:

1Co 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
1Co 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

Most of what Paul writes here is directed to, or talking about those who minister the gospel. Ministers are instruments God makes use of, and they labor in vain unless the Lord builds the house (Ps 127:1).

Christ is the only foundation of the church. The Corinthian church had been rightly founded upon Christ through the ministry of Paul's preaching (1Co 1:23, 24; 2:1-5). Any other foundation is sand and will perish (Isa 28:16).

Both Paul and the apostles have laid the foundation, which is Christ. Those ministers who follow (preaching the gospel of His grace, the valuable truths of the gospel which agree with the foundation) are said to build lasting and permanent fruits, such as gold, silver and precious stones. The fruit of their ministry will stand the test of time and the fires of judgment. Other ministers' works are compared to wood, hay and stubble, which can survive neither time nor fire (testing). It is doubtful that Paul refers to heretical doctrine, or another gospel, but these ministers, while professing Christ, preach empty, useless and trifling things, such as philosophy, intellectualism, form, cermony and traditions.

The doctrine a man preaches and the fruits of his ministry will sooner or later be made manifest to himself and to his hearers, who shall clearly see the deformity of the building and the false hope created by these fleshly efforts. Certainly the Day of Judgment will reval the false and the true, but some believe that Paul is saying that in this world, before the great day of the Lord, true hope and ture union with Christ, as opposed to false profession, will be revealed. By "fire" is meant, not the destruction of the world and all evil, but the fire of trial, affliction and testing, which is for a revelation of true faith (James 1:2,3). If a man is a true minister of the gospel, before the end of his life, he and his hearers will know whether what they have built on Christ, the foundation, is lasting, precious material or wood, hay and stubble.

I believe this is the way to interpret this passage because Paul goes back to the beginning of this theme (1Co 3:3,4). "Let no man glory in men", ministers, who (even the best of them) are but men.

1Co 3:21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;
1Co 3:22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
1Co 3:23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
2Ti 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
2Ti 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Many Blessings,
RW

Friend of I AM
Dec 22nd 2008, 10:37 PM
Good points to all. Remember, it's also important to understand that men can only do as much as God has appointed to do and allows them to do..thus, as the Apostle Paul stated..only God can make a man stand or fall in the end...brings these verse(s) to mind..

Romans 14:1-4
Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. "For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand."

verses 9-11
For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. It is written:
" 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will confess to God.' " So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.

I know that these verses often lead one to believe that Paul is speaking about food(literal) but I think it's possible that Paul could be speaking of spiritual food as well..both are digisted into the believer..with the faith that God has given them, and with that faith..only God himself is capable of bringing an individual to a point standing or falling.

So to the original thread poster..just do your best..don't worry about or fear what you'll receive. If you do your best with what God has given you(and circumstances) then you'll be free from concern about what you'll receive..

Just_Another_Guy
Dec 22nd 2008, 10:50 PM
So to the original thread poster..just do your best..don't worry about or fear what you'll receive. If you do your best with what God has given you(and circumstances) then you'll be free from concern about what you'll receive..

I agree with you here. We must really strive to be content with our circumstances, as God is the only one who brings either success or disaster to an individual in this life and the next. If we constantly worry about what we will receive in the end..then we may never be able to achieve what it is that God has appointed us to do in this lifetime..and we'll consistantly get caught up in the habit of doing the right thing(or Godly thing) for the wrong reasons.

So my opinion is that we all should do the right thing, and don't expect nothing for it. Make doing good it's own reward(actually doing good becomes everybody's reward when you think about it in the long run)

Friend of I AM
Dec 22nd 2008, 11:08 PM
I agree with you here. We must really strive to be content with our circumstances, as God is the only one who brings either success or disaster to an individual in this life and the next. If we constantly worry about what we will receive in the end..then we may never be able to achieve what it is that God has appointed us to do in this lifetime..and we'll consistantly get caught up in the habit of doing the right thing(or Godly thing) for the wrong reasons.

So my opinion is that we all should do the right thing, and don't expect nothing for it. Make doing good it's own reward(actually doing good becomes everybody's reward when you think about it in the long run)

Finally agreeing with you for once..:) Here are some verses....

Matthew 6:3
But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

1 Corinthians 9:17-20
If I spread the Good News willingly, I'll have a reward. But if I spread the Good News unwillingly, I'm [only] doing what I've been entrusted to do. So what is my reward? It is to spread the Good News free of charge. In that way I won't use the rights that belong to those who spread the Good News. Although I'm free from all people, I have made myself a slave for all people to win more of them. I became Jewish for Jewish people. I became subject to Moses' Teachings for those who are subject to those laws. I did this to win them even though I'm not subject to Moses' Teachings.