PDA

View Full Version : What is a Ghost?

chad
Dec 22nd 2008, 04:48 AM
I was watching the discovery channel last night and it was dealing with haunted houses.

They said the entities were Ghosts, and defined them as spirits or souls (can't remember) of deceased people who were trapped between this earth and the next realm (Which I assume is Sheol)?

What I also found interesting is that they got Mediums, to perform a type of cleansing/exorcism in the house to move the spirit on to the afterlife.

My question is :

1) Is it possible that a persons soul or spirit can become trapped on earth and be allowed to wander around and haunt people, or are these really demonic/evil spirits?

2) If they are human spirits, why havn't they moved on to the afterlife.

3) Is it possible for Mediums to do exorcisms of human or evil spirits to move them on?

Does the Bible mention anything about this?

I know, wierd questions, but I thought I would ask them anyway and try get a biblical perspective in this.

Thanks

Chad :rolleyes:

FaithfulSheep
Dec 22nd 2008, 05:17 AM
1) Is it possible that a persons soul or spirit can become trapped on earth and be allowed to wander around and haunt people, No. Definitely not.

or are these really demonic/evil spirits? They could possibly be demons. The spirit world is very real. Just as there as there are angels, there are demons as well...
The demonic world is very real. And very very scary. Stay far far far away.

2) If they are human spirits, why havn't they moved on to the afterlife. They aren't human spirits.

3) Is it possible for Mediums to do exorcisms of human or evil spirits to move them on? Once we die we do not need to be "moved" anywhere. We will go to Heaven or Hell based upon our belief in Jesus. Mediums can't change where one will spend eternity.

Does the Bible mention anything about this? It clearly mentions to stay away in several places in the Bible.
Lev. 19:31 is one example. 'Do not turn to mediums or spiritists; do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.

There are more verses such as this. If you do a search somewhere such as BibleGateway on unclean spirits or demons you will get several results.

Matt 12:43-45
43 “When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. 44 Then he says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. 45 Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.”

The book of Mark has several references to unclean spirits... beginning in chapter 1 and going through chapter 9.

kenrank
Dec 22nd 2008, 06:19 AM
I lean toward Ghosts being demons as well. What do demons, aliens, ghosts, astrology, psychics, naturalism, cults, evolution, and many other new age type stuff have in common?

Answer- they all chip away at the scriptural foundation we base our faith on! Piece by piece, a little here a little there...all aimed at keeping our focus on anything but YHWH and His Word. >>IF<< these are the last days, one of the markers is how these things....UFO sightings, cults, anit-God science, et.al. are increasing.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Mar 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if possible, even the elect.

Mar 13:20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.

He that ensures till the end shall be saved!

Peace.
Ken

chad
Dec 22nd 2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks, I think this answered my question. :)

RR van Wyk
Dec 22nd 2008, 09:37 AM
I agree with all of you that it is best to stay away from spirits. I'm not so sure that all spirits are bad...
For some reason it seems to be that some people after they died, still do hang around...
I don't know why, what the reason would be... but I don't think it is realy that important for us to know anyway... :)

It is better to stay away, let them be... we still have a live to live!!

Romber
Dec 22nd 2008, 12:50 PM
My question is why exactly are we permitted to see the (demonic) spirits? They obviously would scare you to no end seeing one at the end of the hallway when you wake up. And why are we able to videotape them occasionally? Also, do we see Angels like (demonic) spirits, except those are the ones that give people the "calm, helpful, peaceful" aura?

chad
Dec 22nd 2008, 07:01 PM
The bible mentions people who have seen angels in both the OT as well as the NT. They appear differently than demonic spirits.

Hagar (Gen 16:7), Moses (Ex 3:2), Baalam (Num 22:22), Joseph (Mat 1:20), Zechariah (Luke 1:18) and many more...

My question is why exactly are we permitted to see the (demonic) spirits? They obviously would scare you to no end seeing one at the end of the hallway when you wake up. And why are we able to videotape them occasionally? Also, do we see Angels like (demonic) spirits, except those are the ones that give people the "calm, helpful, peaceful" aura?

Romber
Dec 22nd 2008, 08:20 PM
The bible mentions people who have seen angels in both the OT as well as the NT. They appear differently than demonic spirits.

Hagar (Gen 16:7), Moses (Ex 3:2), Baalam (Num 22:22), Joseph (Mat 1:20), Zechariah (Luke 1:18) and many more...

But do you think people today who say the spirit in their house is "calm, caring, gentle" are really referring to Angels, or demons who are using it as a ploy to get their trust?

chad
Dec 22nd 2008, 11:16 PM
Hi Romber,

It depends what spirit they are refering to. If they are talking about a haunted house, then No these spirits are not calm, caring or gentle, they are probably evil or decieving spirits.

But do you think people today who say the spirit in their house is "calm, caring, gentle" are really referring to Angels, or demons who are using it as a ploy to get their trust?

Romber
Dec 23rd 2008, 12:04 AM
So how do you answer people who say the spirit in their house is more or less benevolent qualities? Assuming they are telling the truth and such.

Bethany67
Dec 23rd 2008, 12:26 AM
Then it's worked, hasn't it. It's got their attention by pretending to be friendly, and now the person gets a supernatural-contact-buzz with zero mention of Christ. Mission accomplished.

These things are demonic, regardless of who or what they pretending to be, and any occult 'help' like mediums or banishing rituals they will feed on. Experienced that in my own home, with me praying in one room and commanding an entity to leave after it physically pinned us down, and DH's coven in the next room doing a ritual to 'help it on its way' against my express wishes. 6 hellish hours, courtesy of a disgruntled ex-member of a connected coven with a score to settle; we only found that out later. I don't ever want to go through that again. That's a night I won't forget in a hurry.

dljc
Dec 23rd 2008, 12:45 AM
My question is why exactly are we permitted to see the (demonic) spirits? They obviously would scare you to no end seeing one at the end of the hallway when you wake up. And why are we able to videotape them occasionally? Also, do we see Angels like (demonic) spirits, except those are the ones that give people the "calm, helpful, peaceful" aura?Paul warned us that satan himself could transform and masquerade as an angel of light.

2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

That's why he is the master of deception, the father of lies.

And where is "aura" defined in the Bible?

chad
Dec 23rd 2008, 07:25 PM
I have just looked up the KJV, and the KJV, translates the Holy spirit as Holy Ghost. It also mentions of people in the OT giving up the ghost, when they die.

Other translations such as NIV use the word spirit, instead of Ghost.

Chad :rolleyes:

FaithfulSheep
Dec 23rd 2008, 07:50 PM
I have just looked up the KJV, and the KJV, translates the Holy spirit as Holy Ghost.

The Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost is not a "ghost" as our world portrays them.

It also mentions of people in the OT giving up the ghost, when they die.

We are not ghosts nor do we become ghost after death. Where in the Bible do you think it says this?

chad
Dec 23rd 2008, 08:40 PM
Matthew 27:50 KJV

50Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

The Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost is not a "ghost" as our world portrays them.

We are not ghosts nor do we become ghost after death. Where in the Bible do you think it says this?

FaithfulSheep
Dec 23rd 2008, 08:53 PM
When looking up "ghost" in Strong's... it is in reference to Christ's spirit....

This shows that Jesus is giving up His Spirit to the Lord. Not that He is becoming a ghost or is a ghost as people portray in haunted houses.