PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Immanuel

neverleaveunorfors
Dec 22nd 2008, 11:49 PM
chapter 8:8 and 8:10 8:8 Immanuel and 8:10 for God is with us and now 8:14 all in Isaiah the Immanuel prophecy just what is the difference in these verses in for God is with us ,Immanuel and just y was he named Jesus instead of Immanuel?Luke 1 :31 and u shall call his name Jesus have more to ask but will later .Thanks all and God bless Lots of Love James
http://bibleforums.org/images/misc/progress.gif http://bibleforums.org/images/buttons/edit.gif:hmm: (http://bibleforums.org/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1914863)

oneinthespirit
Dec 23rd 2008, 01:15 AM
chapter 8:8 and 8:10 8:8 Immanuel and 8:10 for God is with us and now 8:14 all in Isaiah the Immanuel prophecy just what is the difference in these verses in for God is with us ,Immanuel and just y was he named Jesus instead of Immanuel?Luke 1 :31 and u shall call his name Jesus have more to ask but will later .Thanks all and God bless Lots of Love James
http://bibleforums.org/images/misc/progress.gif http://bibleforums.org/images/buttons/edit.gif:hmm: (http://bibleforums.org/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1914863)

Well my friend, if you believe with all your heart that Jesus IS God in the flesh, THEN you will know that he is God with us.

Do you have a nickname? Thats a name that is really not your name, but people call you it and you respond to it, right? I'm not saying that Immanuel is a nick name , I'm saying The name Jesus was THE NAME given to him on earth to be known directly by that name.
Jesus said.." Verily verily I say unto you, before Abraham was, I AM..."
I AM is God's literal name not GOD, but we call him God because he created us to serve and adore him. Before creation he was'nt God, he was I AM, because there was no one or nothing to serve him as a God.

If you notice when Moses was called to go free the Hebrews from Egypt, Moses came up with different excuses not to go.

One of them was, ..."Behold, when I come unto the children of Isreal, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; And they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?" "And God said unto Moses, I AM that I AM: and he said, thus shalt say unto the children of Isreal, I AM hath sent me unto you...." Ex. 3:13,14

reformedct
Dec 23rd 2008, 01:21 AM
i think Immanuel is more of a metaphorical name than His actual name. His actual name is Jesus, but He is also can be called Reedemer, King, Healer, Lamb of God, Immanuel, etc.

neverleaveunorfors
Dec 23rd 2008, 05:46 AM
Well my friend, if you believe with all your heart that Jesus IS God in the flesh, THEN you will know that he is God with us.

Do you have a nickname? Thats a name that is really not your name, but people call you it and you respond to it, right? I'm not saying that Immanuel is a nick name , I'm saying The name Jesus was THE NAME given to him on earth to be known directly by that name.
Jesus said.." Verily verily I say unto you, before Abraham was, I AM..."
I AM is God's literal name not GOD, but we call him God because he created us to serve and adore him. Before creation he was'nt God, he was I AM, because there was no one or nothing to serve him as a God.

If you notice when Moses was called to go free the Hebrews from Egypt, Moses came up with different excuses not to go.

One of them was, ..."Behold, when I come unto the children of Isreal, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; And they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?" "And God said unto Moses, I AM that I AM: and he said, thus shalt say unto the children of Isreal, I AM hath sent me unto you...." Ex. 3:13,14
yes I believe that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and I believe in my heart that God raised raised him from the dead I will saved

crossnote
Dec 23rd 2008, 06:52 AM

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
(Mat 1:21)

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
(Mat 1:23).

Names reveal much of the character and work of the person. In this case Jesus (Jehovah saves) is closer to His mission than Immanuel (God with us) although both are revealing.

Ta-An
Dec 23rd 2008, 07:14 AM
The Name of G_d reveals His character :)
Thus names like Emmanuel : G_d with us
El Shaddai is normally translated as "God Almighty".
Yaveh Yireh : The Lord will Provide."

His Name is Holy... His Name is not a common Name so that we will not by mistake/purpose make an idol of His Name.

Lefty
Dec 23rd 2008, 07:38 AM
Immanuel... For 700 years people looked for "God with us" to come. Just imagine that old man Simeon in the temple courts receiving him in his arms after waiting so long. I think he must have shaking with emotion and his heart beating out of his chest. The meaning of that name is immense!

Ta-An
Dec 23rd 2008, 07:40 AM
Immanuel... For 700 years people looked for "God with us" to come. Just imagine that old man Simeon in the temple courts receiving him in his arms after waiting so long. I think he must have shaking with emotion and his heart beating out of his chest. The meaning of that name is immense!Indeed so :) .

crossnote
Dec 24th 2008, 02:31 AM
Immanuel... For 700 years people looked for "God with us" to come. Just imagine that old man Simeon in the temple courts receiving him in his arms after waiting so long. I think he must have shaking with emotion and his heart beating out of his chest. The meaning of that name is immense!

Yes, Simeon... imagine... holding the God of all Creation!!

Chimon
Dec 24th 2008, 06:38 PM

I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding what you are trying to say. Could you possibly elaborate or clarify?

At present, I'll leave you with a passage which address what (I think) you are asking. Maybe this will answer your question:

"Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called "the uncircumcision" by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by handsóremember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility. And he came and preached peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near. For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit." (Ephesians 2.)

So, God is near because Christ's death brought us near to God, the Holy Spirit indwells us, and we are being built into a dwelling place for God [seemingly God the Father] by the Spirit.

Dis that help at all?

Love in Christ,
Chimon

BroRog
Dec 24th 2008, 11:35 PM
We know that God is always present with us, just as he is ever present everywhere in the world. Consequently the phrase "God with us" does not refer to his presence in Israel, but his commitment to them as a people.

To be "with" someone is to actively work on their behalf and for their own good. This is the opposite of being "against" someone, which is to actively work to harm or hurt them.

The term "Immanuel" comes from Isaiah 7 in which it records a dialog between the King of Judah, Ahaz, and the Lord. Ahaz was afraid because the Northern tribes threatened to attack Judah at Jerusalem and Ahaz feared the battle because the Northern Tribes were allied with Assyria, a very powerful country.

The Lord instructed Ahaz to think up a sign for God to perform that would prove to Ahaz that he would keep his word. Ahaz refused to think up a sign so God thought of one for him.

Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel. He will eat curds and honey at the time He knows enough to refuse evil and choose good. For before the boy will know enough to refuse evil and choose good, the land whose two kings you dread will be forsaken.

The boy's name, Immanuel, is a verbal reminder of a promise that God will continue to work on behalf of the nation; that is, God will be "with" them rather than "against" them. And every time Ahaz hears the name of the boy being spoken, he will be forced to remember God's promise. Ahaz is to watch the boy grow up, and as he grows, he is to remember that before the boy knows enough to refuse evil and choose good, his enemies will be gone.

Now, fast-forward to the time of Herod. After hearing that a boy was born to rule Israel, Herod decided to kill the boy, thinking to preserve his legacy and keep Jesus from becoming king. The boy Jesus would eventually grow up to become the savior of Israel. The "coming one" was finally here, the one that would rule the nations in righteousness and goodness, and restore Israel. To that end, the Lord arranged for Mary, Joseph, and Jesus to go down to Egypt to wait until it was safe to return. In this dramatic and supernatural way, God once again demonstrated that he was "with" Israel, rather than "against" her.

Jesus isn't Immanuel by name; his survival is another demonstration, just as in the time of Ahaz, that God is "with" Israel.

crossnote
Dec 25th 2008, 07:03 AM
Jesus is also with us in a commited way but not in the same way as the rest of the world.

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
(Mat 28:19-20)

Ta-An
Dec 25th 2008, 03:02 PM
When you name a child, does He not live up to that what you bless him with?? :hmm:

neverleaveunorfors
Dec 27th 2008, 07:39 AM
I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding what you are trying to say. Could you possibly elaborate or clarify?

At present, I'll leave you with a passage which address what (I think) you are asking. Maybe this will answer your question:

"Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called "the uncircumcision" by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by handsóremember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility. And he came and preached peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near. For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit." (Ephesians 2.)

So, God is near because Christ's death brought us near to God, the Holy Spirit indwells us, and we are being built into a dwelling place for God [seemingly God the Father] by the Spirit.

Dis that help at all?

Love in Christ,
Chimon
amennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn amennnnnnnnnnnnnnnn amennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnn:pp

quiet dove
Dec 27th 2008, 05:55 PM
When you name a child, does He not live up to that what you bless him with?? :hmm:

I hope so because my son, his first and middle, one means "Jehovah has remembered" and the other means "remember God's grace" the meaning is why he has the name he has, that and my husband would not let me name him Josiah.:rolleyes: