PDA

View Full Version : Mosiac covenant and relevance.

abidinglife
Dec 23rd 2008, 05:06 AM
I got challenged the following after i said i stand in the authority of the Bible.

Can you seriously support everything that is stated in the bible? Exodus 21:17 (wrong bible verse) states that it is ok for a father to sell his daughter for slavery, do you think that is acceptable? Exodus 35:2 states that any man who works on the sabbath should be put to death, so does that mean that all people that work during the weekend, and that includes myself, should be executed? In Leviticus 11:7 it states that one should never eat or touch a pig, so therefore are you going to hell because you have eaten ham or played with an american football Jen Nung? The bible must not be taken litterally and one cannot condone absoulutly everything that is written in it. Does my dad derserve to be stoned for planting different crops side-by-side? Can I burn my mother to death for wearing garments made from two different threads?

i do know the answer but could you guys help me out and write a reply to this?? I know i don't have the best Bible knowledge as concerning the Mosiac laws, i prefer to dwell more in the

Basically what i have at the moment is :

-This is the Mosaic covenant, we live in the new covenant Heb 8v.8
-These laws are no longer applicable to us, as the new covenant is greater than the old one
-These laws were given in a different time and culture.

I don't know i think i am missing something. THanks.

Sirus
Dec 23rd 2008, 05:41 AM

-These laws are no longer applicable to us, as the new covenant is greater than the old one

I don't know i think i am missing something. THanks.I can't think of what you are missing. Maybe someone else does. I think you have all you need there.

I might add gentiles were never under the Mosaic law unless they lived within the gates or converted. If the person is a Gentile ask them why they are applying these laws to themselves when they are not of Israel! :idea:

For someone to pull out the extremes of a law for a culture being developed that had no law thousands of years ago as an excuse not to take the bible literally today is a copout.

oneinthespirit
Dec 23rd 2008, 01:02 PM
I got challenged the following after i said i stand in the authority of the Bible.

Can you seriously support everything that is stated in the bible? Exodus 21:17 (wrong bible verse) states that it is ok for a father to sell his daughter for slavery, do you think that is acceptable? Exodus 35:2 states that any man who works on the sabbath should be put to death, so does that mean that all people that work during the weekend, and that includes myself, should be executed? In Leviticus 11:7 it states that one should never eat or touch a pig, so therefore are you going to hell because you have eaten ham or played with an american football Jen Nung? The bible must not be taken litterally and one cannot condone absoulutly everything that is written in it. Does my dad derserve to be stoned for planting different crops side-by-side? Can I burn my mother to death for wearing garments made from two different threads?

i do know the answer but could you guys help me out and write a reply to this?? I know i don't have the best Bible knowledge as concerning the Mosiac laws, i prefer to dwell more in the

I don't have much to say, just that, those old laws such as paying the father for his daughter after laying with her, and not eating pigs, or not working on the sabbath, and much more were given to be as an act of obiedience towards God, note; Mal 3:9 "Ye are cursed with a curse:.." if you don't pay your tithings. Do you really think God well curse us, after his son dying for us placing all curses upon himself so that we could be free to serve him only in SPIRIT and in TRUTH. (not by money)

Ex. 22:17 "If her father utterly REFUSE to give unto him, HE shall pay...." The father was'nt asking for any thing, but they had commited fornication and should be given to marriage. God commanded him to pay for her and never divorce her Deut 22:29

READ Acts 10:10-15 God commands Peter to kill any fourfooted beast to eat. Peter said no for the same reason of the law, but God responded with " What God hath cleansed, that call not common."

I believe you should'nt work on weekends not as a religious thing but because we do need a rest of all work, now if working on Sat, or Sun is nessecary, because of maybe financial problems, then we should do it. READ Matt. 12:1-8

kenrank
Dec 23rd 2008, 04:26 PM

To understand the Sinai covenant is important. First, the Law was given before Sinai, we see Abraham as having kept all of God's Laws and commandments. (Gen 26:5) The reason the Law was put in writing at Sinai was because Israel was about to become a nation, this then to be their "nation's judicial system." In the U.S., you go to jail for aiming a weapon at somebody, stealing, molestation, rape, etc. You can be put to death for murder, and a handful of other things. There are consequences to sin...or law breaking. Sinai's covenant gave man the right to prosecute law breakers, that right hadn't existed before Sinai.

One must realize too that certain laws dealt with certain people, some laws for woman only, some for men only, some for priests only, some dealing with you living in the land and not applicable if you are not. Of the 613 commands, (+/-) about 150 are applicable today for a person who is not a priest and living outside of the land. Even in the land today, Israel is run under secular rule, not God's!

Peace.
Ken

abidinglife
Dec 24th 2008, 03:02 AM
Thanks guys, all of you helped me to further solidfy my writing.

drew
Dec 24th 2008, 03:22 PM
You raise some challenging questions about the content of these laws. Although what I am about to assert will not really address how those laws made "sense" in their time, it may ease your mind about their relevance to the present.

I believe that Paul (and Jesus) clearly announce the "retirement" of the Mosaic code through the work of the cross. In short, such "rules" do not apply to anyone anymore.