PDA

View Full Version : Adding to or taking away from.........

mikebr
Dec 23rd 2008, 07:14 PM
Revelation 22:18-19

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

What does this scripture mean? Is it just Revelation or all of the Bible?

Does it mean to add to certain verses or does it mean the Bible as a whole? Extra Books etc?

RabbiKnife
Dec 23rd 2008, 07:17 PM
I believe it means don't say "God says...." when it is only your opinion that says.

Emanate
Dec 23rd 2008, 07:19 PM
It applies soley to the book of revelation.

Butch5
Dec 23rd 2008, 08:08 PM
Revelation 22:18-19

Does it mean to add to certain verses or does it mean the Bible as a whole? Extra Books etc?

I believe it is a reference to the book of Revelation, as the NT was not canonized at this point. Also, it says if anyone takes away from the prophecy of this book, the book of Revelation is prophecy.

Psalms Fan
Dec 24th 2008, 09:19 PM
I agree that that warning is specifically about the book of Revelation. God tells Moses in Deuteronomy not to add to the words that He gave Moses. Yet 61 more books were added after that. In both cases it refers to the words just given to the prophet.

If that warning in Revelation were about the whole Bible, then what would stop us from applying the same principle to Deuteronomy. If we did that, then we'd only have the Law of Moses, and there would be no chance for Revelation being included as scripture. So basically, if the warning in Revelation referred to the whole Bible, then we wouldn't have Revelation as part of the Bible.

DaveS
Dec 24th 2008, 09:51 PM
Psalms Fan has a good point. Although I think that both warnings (Revelation and Deuteronomy) along with another one in Proverbs 30 not to add to God's word can be taken together as a general statement of God's attitude toward anyone who might tamper with His book.

Psalms Fan
Dec 24th 2008, 10:13 PM
Psalms Fan has a good point. Although I think that both warnings (Revelation and Deuteronomy) along with another one in Proverbs 30 not to add to God's word can be taken together as a general statement of God's attitude toward anyone who might tamper with His book.

I can agree with that. I would perhaps word it a little differently and say that it's a general warning about altering what it is that God said, whether by addition or subtraction.

Zack702
Dec 25th 2008, 08:10 AM
Even if this scripture says do not add to or take away from this specific passage. Shouldn't it be obvious that this should be true for any scripture? Do we need to be told this?

Are we trying to justify adding to or taking away from scripture by saying that this was meant for Revelation only?

Sure things in the scripture need to be somewhat altered when translated but with a great faith and pure intentions it should be. If on the other hand the author goes out of there way to obviously add to and or take away from scriptures in order to fit a criteria other than strict translation then I would say that perhaps those words hold true regardless of the passage or verse.

-----------edit
On a side note it is Jesus that saves and not words in a book even the bible it is in the heart. And so even if someone was guilty of wrong with God it is my belief that they can be saved from it God willing and if there heart is upright. The words in that passage are no different than any sin imo altering gods word or killing someone or stealing for greed anything that is the cause of or can be the cause of distress against another. How can we be sure of the consequences of such things? Unless God has revealed to us the consequences of them then how can we know? By taking something as small as a piece of paper we might be the cause of driving someone mad looking for it. But the grace of our Lord is marvelous and we know that we ought to be humble and wish no harm to anyone for anyreason as much as is in us to be.

Athanasius
Dec 25th 2008, 08:32 AM

As others have said, this particular passage refers explicitly to the book of Revelation. However I believe most would take it as common sense that one should not alter scripture. One explanation I've heard is that such passages were included (to Revelation in particular) because of scribes altering scriptural manuscripts either intentionally (in regard to advocating or denying a certain theological point) or unintentionally. Revelation is "hard enough" to interpret without people altering the text itself.

kenrank
Dec 25th 2008, 12:18 PM
It applies soley to the book of revelation.

Isn't there a similar quote in Torah regarding Torah? If so, I would think it applies to all his Word. Requoting for clarity not an issue, as long as meaning and context don't change.

Peace.
Ken

Prophet Daniel
Dec 25th 2008, 02:44 PM
I believe it means don't say "God says...." when it is only your opinion that says.

When I read the replies all of a sudden this answer pricked my heart, I agree. Could it then mean the book of life is God. To "add" or "take away" is to say what God has not said and then say "God said"?