PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Being Spiritual

Pilgrimtozion
Dec 23rd 2008, 08:51 PM
Hogg and Vine's commentary on Galatians makes the following statement:

The spiritual state is reached by diligence in the Word of God and in prayer.

What do you think of this? Do you agree? Can you show from the Bible why (not)?

Partaker of Christ
Dec 23rd 2008, 09:53 PM

Hi Pilgrimtozion!

Can I ask what is meant [defined] by 'reached'

Brother Mark
Dec 23rd 2008, 09:58 PM
Scripture says Jesus learned obedience through suffering.

BCF
Dec 23rd 2008, 11:35 PM
Scripture says Jesus learned obedience through suffering.

This is true....but does obedience constitute someone being Spiritual?

VerticalReality
Dec 24th 2008, 12:11 AM

I would say that it depends. Jesus told the Pharisees that they searched the Scriptures thinking that by this they had eternal life. However, the Word clearly declares that this was not the case. If searched with a new heart, though . . . growing in the grace and knowledge of Him is something we can have confidence in. The Scriptures certainly equip us if we are searching them through our love for Him. If it is simply religious duty, however, it would be just as profitable not to read it at all.

We get to know God through seeking Him in faith. We do so by reading His Word in faith. We do this by praying in faith. We do this by praising His name in faith. We do this by obedience in faith.

The Word says that this is eternal life . . . to know God and the One He sent Jesus Christ. We have this eternal life right now in spirit if we know Him. Therefore, if we are to tap into that which is eternal in spirit it will be because we are seeking Him in faith and we know the One He sent and He knows us.

The phrase, "The spiritual state is reached by diligence in the Word of God and in prayer," makes things sound less to do with faith and love and more to do with works. If it is simply works that is being spoken of, well . . . those type of works profited the Pharisee nothing.

Partaker of Christ
Dec 24th 2008, 12:38 AM
I believe that when we are born anew we are spiritual, but not matured.

I can liken it to when a young couple get married, they have much love for one another. They always want to be near one another, talk to one another, share gifts and time with one another etc: All this can be very easy when times are good. It is only after they have been through much testing times, that their love can be truly measured.

Is this love only superficial, or is it rooted.
Many enter into marriage in order to receive, and as long as they are receiving they are happy to give.

Teke
Dec 24th 2008, 12:53 AM
Hi Pilgrimtozion!

Can I ask what is meant [defined] by 'reached'

I'd add to that question with, what is meant by "Word of God"? Are we talking about something like "lectio divina"?

Dani H
Dec 24th 2008, 01:02 AM
I believe that spiritual refers to actually being guided by the Spirit, through our spirit, instead of letting our soul (mind, will, emotions) call the shots with its ever-changing double-minded ways.

Suffering aims at the destruction of our flesh, to show us where our soul is still in control so we can lay those things down and die to our old ways. Because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin.

Romans 5
3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Tribulations - perseverance - character - hope - love.

Love = God. God = Spirit.

There ya go. :)

Pilgrimtozion
Dec 24th 2008, 02:43 AM
I believe that spiritual refers to actually being guided by the Spirit, through our spirit, instead of letting our soul (mind, will, emotions) call the shots with its ever-changing double-minded ways.

Suffering aims at the destruction of our flesh, to show us where our soul is still in control so we can lay those things down and die to our old ways. Because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin.

Romans 5
3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Tribulations - perseverance - character - hope - love.

Love = God. God = Spirit.

There ya go. :)
So if suffering makes one spiritual, how do I purpose to suffer? I just wait until it happens?

Brother Mark
Dec 24th 2008, 02:47 AM
So if suffering makes one spiritual, how do I purpose to suffer? I just wait until it happens?

Ah, you will have chances to suffer everyday. When your flesh or soul wants it's way and your spirit rises up and says "Not my will, but the Father's will". Suffering is all about saying no to your will and being conformed to the image of God. It is about saying no to the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the boastful pride of life. Or as JTB said "I must decrease but he must increase".

Just a very silly, but personal example. Lately, I have begun to go shopping with my mother. I am not particularly fond of shopping but sensed the Lord urging me to spend more time with her and some of my other family members. I had to give up some of my desires in order to do so. My soul and body suffered. But my spirit rejoiced! In time, my soul and body began to rejoice with my spirit as they were conformed to the image of Christ in this area.

The key is, to be like David and ask God to search our hearts and to reveal to us the hurtful ways he wishes to deal with. God will give you some things to focus on. But he will not overwhelm you. Most of us create a list and become overwhelmed. Instead, we should ask God to search us and then he will give us grace to conform to his image.

Grace and peace,

Mark

Dani H
Dec 24th 2008, 03:35 AM

Suffering doesn't make you spiritual. If it did, the vast majority of people on this planet would be spiritual, which they're not.

Submitting to God's will makes you spiritual. Because the things God purposely sends our way are designed for us to come to the end of ourselves, if we submit to the process, and surrender.

You don't purpose to suffer, either. You purpose to submit and surrender to God, no matter what. At some point in the game, your soul is going to go "oh no you didn't" and fight tooth and nail so it can remain in charge. Why do you think so many Christians end up calling this prayer line and rebuking that demon and proclaiming this, that and the other? Because fire hurts when it burns the dross, and we'd just rather not, and just have all the blessings, right now, instead of understanding that God is in control, and the hair on our head is all numbered, and He knows how to deliver the righteous, but He also wants us to learn, and grow, so we don't have to make like the Israelites and go around the same mountain for 40 years. Often our choice isn't even between sin and God or between good and evil; that's the easy part and only the beginning of things. Once we grow up a little, the suffering will usually come into play when God gives us a choice between good (for us, according to our desires, and something that will be a blessing to us and may even be put in front of us by God) and God (according to His higher plan). That's when it gets really interesting. And we're no longer in the realm of temptation, because God doesn't tempt people, but something else entirely. Remember Isaac was God's promise to Abraham, yet he was commanded by God to surrender him up after he had waited so long for the promise, and everything else hinged on that one promise.

"Do you love Me more than these?" :)

superwoman8977
Dec 24th 2008, 03:37 PM
If suffering makes one spiritual then I am one full of spirit person....lol:lol:

Chimon
Dec 24th 2008, 06:29 PM

I think there is no meaning without context.

Without having the context of the rest of that commentary and the specific part of Galatians they are commenting on, it is difficult and unwise for me (and I think anyone else as well) to pass judgment or express conjecture on the statement.

Love in Christ,
Chimon