PDA

View Full Version : pretty much sums up today

wrldstrman
Dec 24th 2008, 01:03 AM
2 Timothy '3
But mark this. There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous,without self control, brutal not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of Godliness but denying its power.Have nothing to do with them.

wombat
Dec 24th 2008, 10:15 PM
Hi, Wrldstrman! Yes, I agree--that sums up our current day exactly. I see it wherever I turn, except for those who truly love our Lord. It seems that being with my brothers and sisters in Christ is a more and more wonderful place to be moment by moment. With them I feel the peace of God and the comforting of love and patience and courage and goodness all around me. I really connect with that part of the Scripture you quoted that says to stay away from those who are the "lovers of pleasure" and so forth. Obviously, we are not to shirk our solemn duty of witnessing to the lost, but I do believe that we must be careful in establishing what company we keep.

Walking the Walk
Dec 28th 2008, 09:40 PM
Yes, correct, we're definitely living in the last days...interestingly enough, I just finished working (contract position) with someone who wasn't very loving or kind. One night while driving home on the highway, I was playing a song by Point of Grace called "Day by Day" and the words were, "Day by day, you're coming closer, making our way..." I was very surprised to be ministered to with that song given it's a toe tapper but the Lord reminded me that the reason I was experiencing hardship was because He is soon coming back...I cried to break my heart behind the wheel. But at the same time, I was very thankful...the Lord let me know that I'm ready!!!

wombat
Dec 29th 2008, 06:02 AM
Yes, correct, we're definitely living in the last days...interestingly enough, I just finished working (contract position) with someone who wasn't very loving or kind. One night while driving home on the highway, I was playing a song by Point of Grace called "Day by Day" and the words were, "Day by day, you're coming closer, making our way..." I was very surprised to be ministered to with that song given it's a toe tapper but the Lord reminded me that the reason I was experiencing hardship was because He is soon coming back...I cried to break my heart behind the wheel. But at the same time, I was very thankful...the Lord let me know that I'm ready!!!
Hi, Walking the Walk! I know this song, and it's one of my favorites by Point of Grace. It is wonderful how the Lord speaks to us so profoundly through music.

Gulah Papyrus
Dec 29th 2008, 06:41 AM
2 Timothy '3
But mark this. There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous,without self control, brutal not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of Godliness but denying its power.Have nothing to do with them.
Thing is, there are very few(if any) times in history where this wouldn't apply.

wombat
Dec 29th 2008, 10:46 PM
Thing is, there are very few(if any) times in history where this wouldn't apply.
Hi, Gulah Papyrus! After living through a number of decades, I can honestly say I've never seen society in general as close to fitting this description as it does today. Sure, there have always been bad eggs out there, and evil has been around since the fall of man. However, as I consider how society used to be, say even as soon as from the 1960s and 1970s compared to today, I am overwhelmed by the changes.

Gulah Papyrus
Jan 1st 2009, 06:50 AM
Hi, Gulah Papyrus! After living through a number of decades, I can honestly say I've never seen society in general as close to fitting this description as it does today. Sure, there have always been bad eggs out there, and evil has been around since the fall of man. However, as I consider how society used to be, say even as soon as from the 1960s and 1970s compared to today, I am overwhelmed by the changes.Yeah...I agree it looks pretty bad, but if you look at how advanced mass communication has become since the 60's and 70's with 300 cable channels, 1000's of satelite channels, live satelite feeds, and of course the ole' 'interwebs', I wonder if it's really that much worse, or is it that it's right there in our faces at every turn.:hmm:

I would guess some of both, but I would say that it probably isn't as drastic as it looks.

Gods Child
Jan 2nd 2009, 03:52 AM
2 Timothy '3

Mt 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

That seems to sum it up....THE LOVE OF MANY SHALL WAX COLD....

Don't let your LOVE wax cold !!!!!!!

sherryt
Jan 4th 2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah...I agree it looks pretty bad, but if you look at how advanced mass communication has become since the 60's and 70's with 300 cable channels, 1000's of satelite channels, live satelite feeds, and of course the ole' 'interwebs', I wonder if it's really that much worse, or is it that it's right there in our faces at every turn.:hmm:

I would guess some of both, but I would say that it probably isn't as drastic as it looks.

Since I was a teacher in a school for many years, I think I can say first hand that yes, indeed, the children are much worse than they used to be. Something of the things that they do today do not even compare to when I was a child. I saw many upper grade schoolers who were "contemplating sex." I taught a social class to ninth graders who laughed when they talked about waiting until marriage to have sex. Most of them told me this had already happened and that I was just "old." That my beliefs were not the reality of today. There is such a difference it is unbelievable.----plus I live in a rural area....I could only imagine what they are like in the cities....where it is so much easier to be exposed to things. This is just the tip of the iceburg as to what they are doing...I didn't say anything about the drugs and the alcohol. Granted, there are some good parents left,....however, they are few and far between. Most don't care or don't want to know what their child is doing. Even saying this...I've seen very good parents raise a child who was "out there." It's a very hard life for a child in this day and age.