PDA

View Full Version : Comforting the unsaved?

reformedct
Dec 24th 2008, 03:24 AM
ok here is my situation and im not sure what to do

i have a female friend/coworker whose father was just diagnosed with cancer

im pretty sure she is not a Christian, she actually asked me about a cross i was wearing but didnt identify herself as a Christian

here is the issue. How do we respond to the unsaved when they experience tragedy in their lives? i feel wrong to just break out with the gospel to people who dont even believe in Jesus

it seems like i should do something but its not like i can heal her dad. i told her i would pray for her father but everybody says that, even non-christians

she is young about 18 or so, so how should i try to be Christs hands and feet in this situation?

Brother Mark
Dec 24th 2008, 03:50 AM
Ever notice how Jesus dealt with each situation differently? Each one was a unique situation. He said "I only do what the Father tells me to do." At other times he said "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." And yet again "My sheep, hear my voice and they follow me."

In situations like this, it is imperative to hear God speak and then say what he says to say. Listen to Him and speak what he says and your words will have the power to minister.

Often, the grieving will speak what's in their heart, for from the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Look for where God is dealing with her there, and then respond from your spirit.

SeattleSun
Dec 24th 2008, 03:51 AM
Hi Ref, this is a situation that I've faced also and it is uncomfortable, more so that you don't know that the daughter is saved.

Did you ask? Can you relate a personal situation into this and explain how Christ gave you strength? Is she seeking your witness?

Pray for his salvation so that Christ's peace and comfort can be felt and tell his daughter your prayers. You don't need to scare her, you need to show our hope that we have through our faith. And pray for him face to face with her. Let her hear you.

Serve her and love her. Shine for Him. Be the city on the hill. Pray for the Spirit to use you so that you will glorify Him.

BTW, only Christ heals, you or I don't, we are just at times the vessels if He so wills. :)

God bless.

reformedct
Dec 24th 2008, 04:07 AM
Hi Ref, this is a situation that I've faced also and it is uncomfortable, more so that you don't know that the daughter is saved.

Did you ask? Can you relate a personal situation into this and explain how Christ gave you strength? Is she seeking your witness?

Pray for his salvation so that Christ's peace and comfort can be felt and tell his daughter your prayers. You don't need to scare her, you need to show our hope that we have through our faith. And pray for him face to face with her. Let her hear you.

Serve her and love her. Shine for Him. Be the city on the hill. Pray for the Spirit to use you so that you will glorify Him.

BTW, only Christ heals, you or I don't, we are just at times the vessels if He so wills. :)

God bless.

thank you very much for your wisdom, i realize that i must trust God in this because only He knows what to do.

I will say that she is not a close friend, i only see and talk to her while at work. and i am only a 21 year old male. i know her dad just through him coming by the store from time to time. i feel that going in to pray face to face with him would be a little disrespectful seeing as i am just an aquantence but i guess i can ask her if he would be ok with it (it would be a little uncomfortable though lol but i kno its not about me its about Christ and his glory)

crossnote
Dec 24th 2008, 07:08 AM
How do we respond to the unsaved when they experience tragedy in their lives? i feel wrong to just break out with the gospel to people who dont even believe in Jesus

it seems like i should do something but its not like i can heal her dad. i told her i would pray for her father but everybody says that, even non-christians

she is young about 18 or so, so how should i try to be Christs hands and feet in this situation?

When a person is suffering emotionally and/or physically it is often a time when the person will receive some real Good news. On the other hand when a person is comfy and everyt thing is coming up roses they are less inclined to hear about their need of a Divine rescue.
Our afflictions do the work of God's law. They show us our weakness and frailty and prove we are not god. Tradgedies and the like create hungry hearts and open ears.
Ever notice how comforting Jesus was to the downtrodden and afflicted but harsh to the self righteous?

theBelovedDisciple
Dec 24th 2008, 03:10 PM
ok here is my situation and im not sure what to do

i have a female friend/coworker whose father was just diagnosed with cancer

im pretty sure she is not a Christian, she actually asked me about a cross i was wearing but didnt identify herself as a Christian

here is the issue. How do we respond to the unsaved when they experience tragedy in their lives? i feel wrong to just break out with the gospel to people who dont even believe in Jesus

I agree.. be that 'candlestick' on a hill.. that shining 'light'... Let His love and wisdom flow thru you.. you are His vessel.. an extension of His Hands/His feet.. His heart.. etc....

Paul said to weep with them that weep.. rejoice with them that rejoice...

Let Him direct you and your actions and remember no matter what happens God is stil in control...

Here are words from Paul....

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

Praying for them is probably one of the most powerful tools..

superwoman8977
Dec 24th 2008, 03:13 PM
I dont do anything differently. I had a friend who is facing breast cancer and in her card I wrote that my prayers are with her and the Power of the Lord be with her why should I have to compromise my beliefs, arent we to be a light to the world?

theBelovedDisciple
Dec 24th 2008, 03:43 PM
I dont do anything differently. I had a friend who is facing breast cancer and in her card I wrote that my prayers are with her and the Power of the Lord be with her why should I have to compromise my beliefs, arent we to be a light to the world?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Just because one shows mercy or comforts another doesnt mean they are
compromising your beliefs.. my goodness...

Did Jesus feel compromised when He healed lepers? forgave the adultress? healed the sick? those who the 'religuous' elite had despised and disregarded? I should say no..

Just because one Comforts or shows mercy to a person whether that person is 'unsaved' or not .. does not mean he/she is compromising 'one's' belief...

In actuallity its that mercy and compassion and 'your' belief in Him that these people will see....

The Heart of the Law is 'mercy'... my friends...

ShadowWolf
Dec 25th 2008, 07:24 AM
Just love that person like Jesus. If they need a shoulder to cry on, or someone to talk to, that's all they need. The door will be opened when the time is right. Otherwise, they just need love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV0BC042Rv4