PDA

View Full Version : Lillith

ShadowWolf
Dec 25th 2008, 07:09 AM
I know, at least what I think to be, the answer to this. Has anyone heard of Lillith?

What are your thoughts on this...umm...desert creature?

My wife's cousin was watching a thing on discovery channel and believes it to be real.

Athanasius
Dec 25th 2008, 08:35 AM
I know, at least what I think to be, the answer to this. Has anyone heard of Lillith?

My wife's cousin was watching a thing on discovery channel and believes it to be real.

The Mesopotamian demon or the supposed first wife of Adam? Either way if you're asking if I believe this Lillith existed (in either form); no.

Elouise
Dec 25th 2008, 10:42 AM
Shadow wolf,

Yes I 'know' this, why are you asking?

Psalms Fan
Dec 25th 2008, 02:16 PM
Well, there are definitely demons. Who knows, maybe one has the name Lillith. But there is absolutely no scriptural indication that a being named Lillith was ever a wife of Adam.

ShadowWolf
Jan 22nd 2009, 07:33 PM
I was simply asking to see others take on it. They had a thing on Discovery channel about it and my wife's cousin came home asking about it. He's been going to church with us, but I don't know his heart, so I don't truly know if he's saved or not.

He's into Horroscopes, and he actually wanted to go to the library to get the satanic bible.

cross crusader
Jan 22nd 2009, 07:45 PM

Adam was nevered married to Lillith. there was never a lillith. probably a demon goddess of somesort from another religion.

markedward
Jan 22nd 2009, 11:33 PM
"Lillith" was supposedly the "first" woman that Adam was married to in Genesis 1, whereas Eve was the "second" woman that Adam married in Genesis 2.

The downsides to this are (a) there is absolutely no Biblical mention of a "Lillith", (b) no Scripture suggests that Adam married two women, and (c) Genesis 2 is an "in-depth" look at the creation of man and woman. The logic used is that "man and woman" already existed by the end of Genesis 1, so the creation of the woman, Eve, in Genesis 2 "must have" been a different woman than the one in Genesis 1. The problem is that in Genesis 2 we see Adam being created as well... so for this logic to be consistent, it would have to conclude that the man in Genesis 2 is a different man than the one in Genesis 1. The "Lillith" theory completely falls apart at this point in its consistency (nevermind points A and B). There was never a "Lillith".

HisLeast
Jan 22nd 2009, 11:42 PM
"Lillith" was supposedly the "first" woman that Adam was married to in Genesis 1, whereas Eve was the "second" woman that Adam married in Genesis 2.

The downsides to this are (a) there is absolutely no Biblical mention of a "Lillith", (b) no Scripture suggests that Adam married two women, and (c) Genesis 2 is an "in-depth" look at the creation of man and woman. The logic used is that "man and woman" already existed by the end of Genesis 1, so the creation of the woman, Eve, in Genesis 2 "must have" been a different woman than the one in Genesis 1. The problem is that in Genesis 2 we see Adam being created as well... so for this logic to be consistent, it would have to conclude that the man in Genesis 2 is a different man than the one in Genesis 1. The "Lillith" theory completely falls apart at this point in its consistency (nevermind points A and B). There was never a "Lillith".

At this point the lillith advocates will say that the Lillith account predates the Genesis account and that the story had been "edited out".

markedward
Jan 23rd 2009, 12:48 AM
To which I would reply "Um... what proof do you have other than your pure speculation and a few commentaries written by people living centuries after Genesis was written (who also have nothing other their pure speculation)?" Any further insistence would cause me to go watch TV.

fontz
Jan 23rd 2009, 03:23 AM
i saw the show pertaining to this on the discovery channel..
ok so i know not to accept any of this garbage in and the
people speaking of this so believe the stuff spewing out of their
mouths..Per the show there is a statue of some demonlike
creature who shares her name with lilith..yes they stated she was
the first wife of Adam, and also how the feminists claim her, how she
is the being responsible for crib death among many other things
(insert puking icon here :lol:)

I'd caution your wifes cousin to avoid watching shows like this that
speculate on things that are in no way biblical (especially if they
have limited or no knowledge of the Word).

:pray: that God remove the lies and deception from that show from
his heart & mind!

HisLeast
Jan 23rd 2009, 01:55 PM
To which I would reply "Um... what proof do you have other than your pure speculation and a few commentaries written by people living centuries after Genesis was written (who also have nothing other their pure speculation)?" Any further insistence would cause me to go watch TV.

NICE! :P
(15 characters)

iconoclast2012
Feb 9th 2009, 08:06 PM
....hey brethren...although there's absolutely no scriptural reference anywhere to be found of lilith in the word, a wikipedia search alludes to a portion of scripture to be found in Isaiah 34:12 onward, which has a striking parallel to the great harlot & the inhabitation of babylon by foul & unclean beasts....in any event it's a bad connotation...and have u noticed that Discovery channel seems to be man's interpretation of scripture, While the History channel, which lately may as well be called the Bible channel, has a much more powerfull & anointed presentation of Bible events....

pinky
Feb 9th 2009, 10:08 PM
"Lilith is a character who appears in passing in the Talmud (http://www.jewfaq.org/defs/talmud.htm) and in rabbinical (http://www.jewfaq.org/defs/rabbi.htm) folklore. She is a figure of evil, a female demon who seduces men and threatens babies and women in childbirth. She is described as having long hair and wings (Erub. 100b; Nid. 24b). It is said that she seizes men who sleep in a house alone, like a succubus (Shab. 151b). She is also mentioned in midrashim (http://www.jewfaq.org/defs/midrash.htm) and kabbalistic (http://www.jewfaq.org/defs/kabbalah.htm) works, in which she is considered to be the mother of demons. Her name probably comes from the Hebrew (http://www.jewfaq.org/defs/hebrew.htm) word for night (laila). She is similar to and probably based on a pagan demon named Lulu or Lilu that appears in Gilgamesh and other Sumerian and Babylonian folklore."
http://www.jewfaq.org/women.htm