PDA

View Full Version : The problem with Pascal's wager

Brother Mark
Dec 25th 2008, 02:06 PM
Often I see believers bring up Pascal's wager. Many like to say "If there is no God, then what have I lost?" Here's what Paul said about the matter...

1 Cor. 15:19
If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

The truth of the matter is, that if there is no resurrection, then we Christians, of all men, are most miserable.

Think on this... why would this be true? It is because of the command of Christ to take up your cross and follow him. One who thinks he loses nothing if God doesn't exist, understands little of the cross.

As Paul said, if we have hope of Christ in this life only, then we are of all men, most miserable.

Grace and peace,

Mark

Studyin'2Show
Dec 25th 2008, 02:50 PM
This is true if one stops at Pascal's wager. The notion itself is not a doctrine to believe in, but rather just something to think about. Having worked with youth for nine years I will say that the one that has been the most 'on fire' for the Lord who now is interested in entering the ministry himself, first came through the doors of the church 'because' of the 'what do I have to lose' attitude. So, while I completely agree that it is nothing to base one's faith on, I have seen the value of its use to simply convince one of the importance of considering their eternal soul.

God Bless!

Brother Mark
Dec 25th 2008, 02:55 PM
Oh, it is a great tool to use. I am not knocking it as a tool, as I too would use it too if the situation called for it. It has many more problems than the on I stated though. My point here is just to get folks to think about why Paul would write such a verse. Why would he say we are of all men most miserable? Because we deny the flesh and take up our cross.

While Pascal's wager can get folks to think, in the end, we know that salvation is more than playing a safe bet. It's an actual experience.

Thanks for the input S2S! You are most right about how it can be an effective tool, if led by the Lord to use it. If the Lord doesn't suggest using it, a lost man can tear it apart in several ways. We must hear God in our witnessing!