PDA

View Full Version : How did the wise men know

catlover
Dec 25th 2008, 03:51 PM
How did they know to follow the star? Is there scripture that says.

moonglow
Dec 25th 2008, 04:01 PM
I have a thread about this very topic here: http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=151742

;)

God bless and Merry Christmas!

neverleaveunorfors
Dec 27th 2008, 08:26 AM
If you read once they left Herod (they didnt follow it} but the star went before them until it stopped over the place where the child was [ this is key] When they saw the star they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy (.By this it tells me that while they traveled they did not see it for some time).(read it} When they saw the star when they saw the star they rejoiced :pp

moonglow
Dec 27th 2008, 02:59 PM
If you read once they left Herod (they didnt follow it} but the star went before them until it stopped over the place where the child was [ this is key] When they saw the star they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy (.By this it tells me that while they traveled they did not see it for some time).(read it} When they saw the star when they saw the star they rejoiced :pp

I'll say the same thing to you on here I told you on other thread where you said this...

Yes they did follow the star...bible says so:

Matthew 2
Wise Men from the East
1 Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, 2 saying, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.”

Herod didn't know a thing about the star...because later he asks the wise men this:

7 Then Herod, when he had secretly called the wise men, determined from them what time the star appeared

the wise men came from the east...had traveled possibly 700 miles from what this website says...following the star and ended up in Judea.

This is the part you were referring too:

9 When they heard the king, they departed; and behold, the star which they had seen in the East went before them, till it came and stood over where the young Child was. 10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy.

God bless

matthew94
Dec 27th 2008, 04:02 PM

I think this is a very good question. If I see a significant star, I don't just assume a Messiah is about to be born. So what made the wise-men connect a star to a decision to follow it to Israel to see a baby boy?

When we dig a little, we find some satisfactory explanations to this question. First, we discover that there were rumors/prophecies of a Judean King floating around at this time. I have quotes from Tacitus and Seutonius if you're interested. Second, the wise-men probably had access to Jewish Scriptures that predicted the timing of the Messiah (like Daniel). Remember, the Jews spent much of the Old Testament in exile in the very lands that the wise-men likely came from. Thirdly, we have to allow for the possibility that the stars contained a message that these wise-men understood. I believe there is a Christian book entitled 'the gospel in the stars' that would explain this possibility. Fourth, it could have been revealed to them in a dream or a vision, though this is not mentioned.

So I think those are some solid explanations. Hope it helped.