PDA

View Full Version : Discussion How many print Bibles do you own?

poochie
Dec 25th 2008, 04:38 PM
How many Print Bibles do you own?

Me

NIV-3
ESV-2
NKJV-2
KJV-3

I am also including mico Bibles in this list as being the KJV/NKJV world's smallest Bible editions. Font is a bit small and may be impossible for older folks to read, but they are useful for carrying around. However in my most recent flight across the country I carried my KJV Compact Reference Bible and my ESV Compact Crossway Bible. A little bigger than the world's smallest Bibles and a little easier to read.

Ta-An
Dec 25th 2008, 04:49 PM
A whole shelf full :)

My own:
English/Hebrew parallel : NT (A6 size) = 2
English/Hebrew parallel : OT (A 5 size) = 2
English/Hebrew parallel : OT+NT (A5) = 1
English/Hebrew parallel : Biblia Hebraica Leningrademcia = 1

Afrikaans New Translation NT + Psalms = 2
Afr. Boodskap (OT+NT) = 1
Afr. OT '33 (OT+NT) = 1
Afr. Verklarende Bybel = 1
Afr. Nuwe vertaling (OT+NT) = 1

The Scriptures = 1
The Scriptures Hebraic Roots Version = 1
The Message NT + Psalms = 2 One soft and one hard cover
NIV = 1
NIV Study Bible = 1
The Living Bible = 1
The Book (Living translation) = 1
NKJV = 1
A Copy of the RSV
a Copy of the NEB

A very old Bible of which the first 2 pages are missing, So I do not know which translation it is..... but it says : TO THE MOST HIGH AND MIGHTY PRINCE JAMES, By the grace of G_d...... So I suppose it is an OLD KJV. It contains transliterated Hebrew names ....

Then I have an old....The New Testament ........ translated from the Vulgate Latin and authorized by the Archbishop and Bishops of England and Wales 1945 ...A Westminster's.....

BIJBEL ... A 1925 Dutch Bijbel

And I have just ordered another Complete Eng. Hebrew parallel..

So that makes 24 + 3 antiques .

Bethany67
Dec 25th 2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, same here - multiple copies of the NIV and the NLT (bedroom, bathroom, livingroom and workbag copies), plus the NASB, KJV (including a copy awarded to DH's great-grandmother in 1896), NKJV, NRSV, CEV, Revised, NEB, Living, ESV, JB Phillips NT, Berkeley, Message, Young's, NCV, Moffatt, Amplified, Good News (we used this at school), a couple of Greek interlinears, plus versions in French, German, Italian and Romanian. I think I even have a Cockney Bible somewhere. I'm looking out for an HCSB. I read the Wycliffe 1395 online.

Psalms Fan
Dec 25th 2008, 07:40 PM
I had some different phases in the past 7 1/2 years, and the different print bibles that I have reflect those phases.

1 KJV
2 NKJV's
1 NASB
2 RSV's
1 NRSV
2 ESV's
1 NIV
1 HCSB
1 NJB
1 Parallel NT with 8 versions (KJV, NASB, NCV, CEV, NIV, NLT, NKJV, Message)

I really only use 3 of them - ESV, then NASB, then HCSB, although I'll compare the other ones from time to time.

Interestingly, the average christian household has about 4 print bibles, but the average christian rarely cracks them open. Basic bible trivia polls given to christians (which can be googled) show that sad fact.

poochie
Dec 26th 2008, 05:49 AM
Exactly. Most Christians do not read their Bibles. Only if they knew about Bloody Marry whom murdered many christians and dipped their Bible in their blood! Only oh only if Christians these days knew their history!

Since most people do not read these days, perhaps a good movie would be ideal. problem is that most Christian produced films these days are very bad (Left behind Series).

I had some different phases in the past 7 1/2 years, and the different print bibles that I have reflect those phases.

1 KJV
2 NKJV's
1 NASB
2 RSV's
1 NRSV
2 ESV's
1 NIV
1 HCSB
1 NJB
1 Parallel NT with 8 versions (KJV, NASB, NCV, CEV, NIV, NLT, NKJV, Message)

I really only use 3 of them - ESV, then NASB, then HCSB, although I'll compare the other ones from time to time.

Interestingly, the average christian household has about 4 print bibles, but the average christian rarely cracks them open. Basic bible trivia polls given to christians (which can be googled) show that sad fact.

Zack702
Dec 26th 2008, 10:19 AM
I only had one KJV bible same one I've always had ever since I was young. I read it all the time.
The more I read it the less I have to concentrate because that I am very familiar with it I remember most of what is written just by thinking in that direction.

But this christmas I got another bible.
It is The Scofield Study Bible III Limited Edition.
It is a KJV also.

I haven't really read the Scofield Study Bible III yet I only read a portion of it but I just hope they stick to the facts with there side notes.

Psalms Fan
Dec 26th 2008, 02:46 PM
I only had one KJV bible same one I've always had ever since I was young. I read it all the time.

Now THAT is what I'm talking about! Having one bible that you read all the time instead of 10 that you never bother to open.

HisLeast
Dec 26th 2008, 02:51 PM
Exactly. Most Christians do not read their Bibles. Only if they knew about Bloody Marry whom murdered many christians and dipped their Bible in their blood! Only oh only if Christians these days knew their history!

Since most people do not read these days, perhaps a good movie would be ideal. problem is that most Christian produced films these days are very bad (Left behind Series).

You know what I find Christians don't do anymore?

Encourage each other.

amazzin
Dec 26th 2008, 06:01 PM

Me

NIV-3
ESV-2
NKJV-2
KJV-3

I am also including mico Bibles in this list as being the KJV/NKJV world's smallest Bible editions. Font is a bit small and may be impossible for older folks to read, but they are useful for carrying around. However in my most recent flight across the country I carried my KJV Compact Reference Bible and my ESV Compact Crossway Bible. A little bigger than the world's smallest Bibles and a little easier to read.

I lost count after all these years. I buy a minimum of 20-30 bibles a year for my own study purposes. Each has a topic underlined.

thepenitent
Dec 27th 2008, 01:56 AM
I own about 15-20 right now. I buy lots of new Bibles and study Bibles but read them once and end up giving most of them away as part of my witnissing efforts. I would like to note that the Literary Study Bible (ESV) is one of the most under appreciated Bibles out there. It is without a doubt my favorite Bible for just reading. I strongly recommend it.

ServantofTruth
Dec 27th 2008, 02:12 AM
My wife wanted to buy me a new study bible for Christmas. I said no i can only read one at a time and i've only had my Jerusalem one since my birthday in August. It will take me a little over a year? to read it all - then i'll buy another. She gave me book tokens for that time. :)

I have CEVs, NIV, RSV, King James *2, pocket KJV 10?, probably only a couple of others.

I guess i'll buy 1 good study bible a year for the next few years. My reason is that i don't want to feel divided from other Christians by reading only 1 version.

If i bought more, i could never read them all in years and it would be greed and not study, in my personal case. Buy when i need, not when i want. SofTy.

poochie
Dec 27th 2008, 03:38 AM
Now THAT is what I'm talking about! Having one bible that you read all the time instead of 10 that you never bother to open.

One of my regrets is that I have stuff highlighted in 1 not in another. Big mess! Not including my electronic bibles where I can also highlight or add notes which ads to my mess.

SammeyDW
Dec 27th 2008, 03:57 AM
You know what I find Christians don't do anymore?

Encourage each other.

You know what I find Christians do instead?

Shoot the wounded / Judge + Condemn the person that committed a sin.
There is a reason we are warned against this....:B

Ta-An
Dec 27th 2008, 04:52 PM
If i bought more, i could never read them all in years and it would be greed and not study, in my personal case. Buy when i need, not when i want. SofTy.I bought two Bibles that are not 'common'... I mean, not commonly available.... and so I compare what I read with the other translations, and it is amazing to see how many new words I learn..... the different translations definitely speaks to a different audience or time set...
it takes longer to read a chapter, but I get so much more from it :)

awestruckchild
Dec 27th 2008, 05:12 PM
I have too many different ones to even begin to count! And when I see another translation for a dollar or two in the second hand shops I go to, I buy it! I mean, a dollar? I can't resist! It is good because I have so many that when someone needs one, I can always give them a bible!

I have some study bibles but I have learned to just stay away from the notes in them and just insist on letting the Holy Spirit teach me because some of the notes go against what He has shown me.

I am careful not to give a study bible to a new christian.

I don't usually get major news flashes while I read but I come up with lots of questions and then at some later time, usually when I'm not even reading, I get this flash of a couple of verses and a....fitting together of them in everyday life so I understand something. It's like He just instantly ties things together at some point regarding the questions I've asked Him.

I usually stick with a bible for months and then for some reason, I switch to another one and I think a different translation keeps me from glossing over verses I am really familiar with because the wording is a little different.

JesusMySavior
Dec 27th 2008, 06:41 PM
But the real question is, what are we doing with them?

The pharisees had scrolls but were still blind to the things of God!

I have a Message Bible, an Amplified Bible, KJV, NIV, NRSV, NKJV, a pocket NKJV, and a box full of gideon pocket KJV and NKJV. :)

Ta-An
Dec 27th 2008, 07:17 PM
But the real question is, what are we doing with them?

Well like I said.... I compare the text in the different Bibles so as to get a better understanding and also it increases my vocabulary, and most of all, I get a better 'picture' .... like for instance this morning..... one Bible used the word : Beit Tzaide (Betsaida) Bethsaida and the other said... to the House of Fish... now I know what Betsaida means :)

Also I now know why the Samaritans did not allow Yeshua to stay over when He was on His way to Jerusalem :) And I know how the Samaritans came into being...;) not every Bible uses the same language..... and esp. when it is not written in your mother tongue.... you pay more attention to understand

Slug1
Dec 27th 2008, 07:25 PM

I have 1 NIV, I have 1 HCSB, I have 1 KJV, and I'm about to buy 1 NKJV cause I use this version more and more through the internet when posting scripture.

BrckBrln
Dec 27th 2008, 09:27 PM
I have an ESV Reformation Study Bible, an ESV Study Bible, and a cheap regular ESV Bible that I will use for just reading. I like other translations too, I just don't have any (though my brother has an NASB and a NKJV).

theBelovedDisciple
Dec 27th 2008, 09:38 PM
I have at least 5 KJV Bibles.. 2 of those I have worn out with notes and highlighting... I believe I"m on my 3rd one now.. The Scripture never gets old and boring.. It comes alive when I read it...

The Parson
Dec 27th 2008, 10:11 PM
12 King James... The others belong to my bookshelf.

Thermodynamics
Dec 27th 2008, 10:14 PM
I have two that I use on a regular basis:

My main Bible is a Ryrie Study Bible (KJV) that I had rebound in Russell's brown Nigerian goatskin. This is my workhorse Bible that I make notes in, carry to church and read the most.

I also have a New Defender's Study Bible (KJV). I like Dr. Henry Morris' notes and read this Bible quite a bit as well. It is currently off being rebound in brown Russell's calfskin (I miss it).

I also have a black calfskin Textus Receptus that I use from time to time.

A black calfskin Cambridge Concord (KJV) that I also read from time to time.

A black leather Thompson's Chain Reference (KJV) that I never read anymore.

And a brown leather Nelson's Bible (KJV) that my parents bought for me when I was a kid in the 1970s. I do not know where this Bible is, but I know it is here somewhere and I'd like to find it.

The Parson
Dec 27th 2008, 10:29 PM
And a brown leather Nelson's Bible (KJV) that my parents bought for me when I was a kid in the 1970s. I do not know where this Bible is, but I know it is here somewhere and I'd like to find it.My pastor bought me one of those in 79 when I first announce my calling. I sure wish I could find it.

ServantofTruth
Dec 27th 2008, 10:35 PM
I bought two Bibles that are not 'common'... I mean, not commonly available.... and so I compare what I read with the other translations, and it is amazing to see how many new words I learn..... the different translations definitely speaks to a different audience or time set...
it takes longer to read a chapter, but I get so much more from it :)

It was late last night. i realised the comment could be taken both ways. It was aimed internally at me, and not meant to suggest others shouldn't buy more bibles if they study differently. I just didn't have the energy to go back and explain it then. SofTy.

tango
Dec 29th 2008, 01:50 PM
Couldn't tell you exact numbers.

In the house we have NKJV, KJV, NIV, GNB, NLT, The Message and maybe others. I use the NKJV for most of my reading, and have a pocket-sized KJV that I read on the train if I'm sufficiently awake to take anything in.

Truth be told I use one physical Bible for main reading, a miniature physical Bible for reading on the move, and apart from that I mostly use e-sword.

keck553
Dec 29th 2008, 04:09 PM
A few KJV's
KJV Study Bible
1611 KJV
NASB - latest count - 23 (we give them away at our deli)
JPS Tenach
Stone Chamush (saving up for a Stone Tenach)
CJB
and an Apologetics Study Bible (Holman CSB)
an old Septuagint

NASB is my primary source.

I had an NIV, but I 'retired' it.

Firefighter
Dec 29th 2008, 05:09 PM
I have somewhere around 25-27 of them.

Some of the highlights are...

Original 1885 RSV in mint condition.

Original print of the New Jerusalem bible

Original Schofield 1901

Some fairly rare Greek Bibles

thepenitent
Dec 29th 2008, 06:05 PM
Has anyone ever reviewed or owned the "Chronological Study Bible" and, if so, what did you think about it?