PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Proverbs

Frances
Dec 25th 2008, 05:08 PM
Proverbs
- (from the Fore word in my Bible) :- "The key word in Proverbs is 'wisdom', the ability to live life skillfully. A Godly life in an unGodly world is no simple assignment . Proverbs provides God's detailed instructions for His people to deal successfully with the practical affairs of everyday life . . . . "

Proverbs 1

What did I learn of God? - Respect for Him is the beginning of knowledge. He does not answer those who disregard Him and His advise. He ensures security for those who heed Him.

What did I learn of myself? - the Proverbs will give me understanding, wisdom, teach me to live a disciplined and successful life, also help me to be just and fair; they will give me insight, knowledge, discernment and guidance, but if I despise His wisdom and Instruction I am a fool. If I allow lifestyles abhorrent to God to entice me I risk being robbed of my Life with God. Am I filled with God's Spirit? Have I refused knowledge He wants to give me? will God let me suffer the consequences of turning from Him? If I heed God's warnings I will be secure in Him.

What did I praise God for? - offering me His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - to know what is in His Heart.

What is this saying in one sentence? - 'the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom", turn away from un-Godly counsel and respond to His Wisdom.

Frances
Dec 27th 2008, 04:41 PM
Proverbs 2
What did I learn of God? - His Word enables understanding of righteousness, justice, fair-play and knowledge of Him. He gives wisdom. He is a shield to His righteous people. He protects those who are faithful to Him. Those who disregard Him will not obtain Life.

What did I learn of myself? - if I diligently seek to understand God, and heed Him, I will gain wisdom and respect for Him. If I obey God He is my shield; He Protects, Guides, and gives me wisdom, knowledge and joy. Faithfulness to God leads to Life, unfaithfulness to Him separated from Him.

What did I praise God for? - His Word and Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - to use the knowledge He gives more wisely.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God gives the precious Gift of Wisdom to those faithful to Him.

Quote;- (Charles H. Spurgeon) "Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great as the knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is wisdom."

Frances
Dec 28th 2008, 05:12 PM
Proverbs 3

What did I learn of God? - Keeping His Laws is necessary for long life and His Peace. He favours those who are faithful, loving, merciful and truthful. He Guides those who trust Him to the straightest, smoothest path. Fearing/respecting Him ensures health and strength. Honouring Him ensures sufficiency. He chastens/corrects those He Loves. His People can put their confidence in Him. He detests perverse people. He gives counsel to those who please Him. He curses the wicked and Blesses the upright. He mocks the mockers. He is gracious to the humble.

What did I learn of myself? - I will obtain the Peace of the Lord when I obey Him. If I am loving, faithful, truthful and merciful I will find favour with God. God will guide me if I trust Him with all my heart, acknowledge Him and do His Will instead of mine. Pride comes before a fall. Always doing God's Will ensures spiritual health. If I honour God with my possessions and income He will ensure I have sufficient for my needs. Because the Lord Loves me He will correct me when I do wrong. Wisdom and understanding will make me more happy than anything else I may desire, and lead to pleasantness and peace. Do I seek a deeper knowledge of the Lord? if so I will gain wisdom, have no reason to fear, and so enjoy untroubled sleep. Do I always give others the help I am able to, either physical or financial? I must not harm my neighbour, pick fights without reason, or envy violent folk, for the Lord detests such people. If I mock others I will be mocked. If I'm foolish I will be shamed.

What did I praise God for? - He is totally trustworthy in every situation.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom in all things.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Guidance.

Frances
Dec 29th 2008, 05:33 PM
Proverbs 4+5

What did I learn of God? -. His Word offers Wisdom. He knows each person's mind, heart and actions - and considers them. His Word offers Life and Health.

What did I learn of myself? - do I endeavour to know the Wisdom of God's Word, and understand it? and obey it? Does my Christian life authenticate what I say regarding God's Word and make it compelling? if so, others will find it easier to accept. Sexual temptation contrasts immediate reward (drip honey) with delayed consequences (bitter as gall). Am I willing to let others miss the path of Life because my life does not demonstrate God's way of purity?

What did I praise God for? - His Word is (Ps.119:105) 'a lamp to my feet and a light to my path'.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom to be more effective in leading others in the Lord's Way of purity.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The security a life lived God's way offers, and the perils of sexual Sin.

Frances
Dec 30th 2008, 04:53 PM
Proverbs 6 + 7

What did I learn of God? - He hates a proud look, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, a heart bent on evil, feet that race to do wrong, a liar, a false witness, and one who sows discord in a family. His Commands are a lamp and His Laws a light on life's road. His reproofs are intended to keep the recipient from evil.

What did I learn of myself? - I must not become surety for a friend or guarantor for a stranger. Do I work to supply my needs? or am I lazy and expect others to keep me? If I commit adultery it will be my undoing. Immorality has unpleasant consequences. There is no good reason to steal, and dire consequences if caught. I must view every action through God's Commands.

What did I praise God for? - His offer of Forgiveness through Jesus Christ.

What did I pray for? - Greater understanding of hidden dangers, also strength and ability to keep active.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The dangers of agreeing to stand surety, being lazy, un-Godly thoughts and actions, and particularly adultery.

Quote (Lawrence O. Richards) "the thing that sets man above the animals is judgment; the ability to stand aside from instincts and decide what to do on the basis of what is wise and what is right. The person who is drawn into sexual sin acts like an animal, for he or she sets aside that human capacity and acts on the basis of passion alone. to commit adultery is not only wrong, it is a denial of the Creator's gifts which set man above all other living creatures."

Frances
Dec 31st 2008, 05:17 PM
Proverbs 8

What did I learn of God? - He is willing to give understanding to all who will heed Him. He is Righteous, and can be relied on to speak Truth. Knowledge of Him is more valuable than silver, gold, jewels or anything else mankind desires. He offers knowledge and discernment. He hates evil - pride, arrogance, corruption and perverse speech. He offers common-sense and wisdom, understanding, insight and strength. He loves those who love Him. The riches, honour and justice He offers will endure. He is Just and Righteous. Everything He does is wise. Those who follow His Instructions are wise. He offers Life to all who seek Him. Those who don't love Him are separated from Him..

What did I learn of myself? - do I seek God and His Wisdom each day? Do I trust Him? Do I always tell the truth? Do I detest deception? Do I value knowledge of God above everything else? Do I hate evil, including pride, arrogance, corruption and adversity? Do I seek God and ask Him for His Wisdom, common-sense, insight and strength to do His Will? Have I accepted the Life God offers through Jesus Christ? or have I chosen to be separated from Him?

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - to learn more of Him and His Ways.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the Wisdom God offers.

Frances
Jan 1st 2009, 04:36 PM
Proverbs 9

What did I learn of God? - Fear/respect for Him is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of him enables understanding and good judgment. It is wise to take His Presence and Guidance into account prior to making decisions.

What did I learn of myself? - am I in awe of God? or do I treat Him without respecting His Position and His Power? Do I seek God's Guidance prior to making decisions? do I endeavour to gain understanding of God and His Word and his Ways? unless I do I will never be wise. Disregarding the Lord will have endless unfortunate repercussions. I would be wise to accept correction from those who know the Lord. I will benefit from gaining understanding of the Lord, but I will suffer if I donít seek that wisdom.

What did I praise God for? - the Wisdom He offers those who seek Him.

What did I pray for? - greater understanding of the Lord and His Ways.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Wisdom and folly.

Quote:-(Charles H. Spurgeon) "Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great as the knowing fool. To know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom."

Frances
Jan 2nd 2009, 06:31 PM
Proverbs 10

What did I learn of God? - He will provide the righteous soul with sufficient nourishment. He will not satisfy the cravings of those opposed to Him. His Blessing is true riches. He offers everlasting Life and Strength to those who honour Him, but not to those who disregard Him and His Ways, instead they will perish.

What did I learn of myself? - The choices I make don't only affect me but others too. Does the Lord regard me as righteous or wicked? Do I work for my living or expect others to keep me? If I hate others it will corrupt me. Does what I say lead others to Christ and Life, or away from Him and Death? The only true wealth is God's Blessing. My character is demonstrated by what I enjoy, am I known for integrity or being devious? If I am wicked the fears and insecurity I experience are well-founded. It is very frustrating to work with a lazy person. If I am righteous my confidence in God is well-founded. If I am righteous I will seek understanding and what I say is more likely to be wise and helpful. If I gossip I am a fool. Is trusting the Lord the foundation and strength of my life?

What did I praise God for? - the offer of His Life and Strength.

What did I pray for? - to be known for integrity, and worthy of it.

What is this saying in one sentence? - some of Solomon's sayings.

Frances
Jan 3rd 2009, 06:05 PM
Proverbs 11

What did I learn of God? -He detests deception but delights in accuracy. He delights in those with integrity, but detests the perverse.

What did I learn of myself? - Will pride lead me to shame? Am I wise enough to be humble? Am I guided by integrity? or destroyed by dishonesty? Riches won't help me on Judgment day, but righteousness will. Am I always totally honest? Am I trapped by my ambition? Am I a hypocrite? Do I gossip? or am I trustworthy? It is unwise to guarantee to pay another's debts. Am I gracious or ruthless? Am I merciful or cruel? Is the present time or Eternity more important to me? Am I discrete? Does the Lord consider me righteous or wicked? If I give freely I will gain more, but if I am stingy I will lose more than I save. Do I trust God or money?

What did I praise God for? - His Humility and Trustworthiness.

What did I pray for? - to be equally humble and trustworthy.

What is this saying in one sentence? - more of Solomon's wise sayings.

Frances
Jan 4th 2009, 05:12 PM
Proverbs 12

What did I learn of God? - He favours those whose thoughts and actions honour Him. He condemns those with wicked intentions. He delights in those who are truthful, but regards liars an abomination.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I accept Godly instruction? or hate correction? Does the Lord regard me as good and upright or wicked? Am I a delight to, or do I cause shame to those who love me? Can I be relied on, or am I treacherous? Will what I say harm others or save them from harm? Do others commend or despise me? Why? Am I tender-hearted or cruel? Do I regard myself as ordinary or important? Do I waste time and energy on fantasies? If I am quick-tempered I am a fool. Do I stay calm when insulted? Am I always truthful? or can what I say be proved false and an abomination to God? Do I worry others? or encourage them? do I make them depressed or cheer them up? Do I choose my friends carefully? Do I allow myself to be led astray? Am I lazy? Am I living with God or without Him - now and for eternity?

What did I praise God for? - His Righteousness.

What did I pray for? - to always stay calm when insulted.

What is this saying in one sentence? - more of Solomon's sayings.

Frances
Jan 5th 2009, 04:25 PM
Proverbs 13

What did I learn of God? - His Discipline is Loving and has a purpose - to remind me His Way is always best.

What did I learn of myself? - I'd be wise to accept God's Wisdom and Discipline; also to control what I say. Am I lazy? Do I tell lies or am I honest? Do I obey God or the devil? Financial wealth has disadvantages. Light and Joy come from Godliness. Am I proud? Do I take good advise? Wealth gained dishonestly will do me no good. If I obey, or disobey God's Word will have serious consequences for me. Do I seek necessary knowledge? Do I think before I speak or act? Am I a reliable witness? Do I accept, or reject, wise criticism? Do I learn from my mistakes?

What did I praise God for? - His wisdom and Discipline.

What did I pray for? - diligence to gain necessary knowledge.

What is this saying in one sentence? - More wise sayings.

Frances
Jan 6th 2009, 05:07 PM
Proverbs 14

What did I learn of God? - He is respected by those who obey Him, but despised by wrong-doers. He is a life-giving fountain, and gives confidence, to those who trust Him. He is insulted by those who oppress the poor. He is Glorified by the numbers of people who trust and obey Him.

What did I learn of myself? - My life reflects my wise, and foolish, decisions. Do I trust the Lord or despise Him? My words are my judge. Profitable labour may create a mess. Am I an honest witness for the Lord? Or do I tell lies by exaggerating? Do I laugh at my Sin or seek reconciliation with God? No one can fully understand my joy or pain. Do my decisions separate me from God? The Lord will satisfy me if I seek to please Him, but not if I turn from Him to please myself. Am I merciful? Am I truthful? Trusting the Lord is my security, He is my refuge and source of Life. Do I control my anger? Is my heart peaceful? My treatment of the needy is the way I treat God. Does the Lord consider me righteous or sinful?

What did I praise God for? - His willingness to Forgive me when I return to Him.

What did I pray for? - to be aware or un-Godly exaggeration.

What is this saying in one sentence? - more wise sayings.

Frances
Jan 7th 2009, 05:10 PM
Proverbs 15

What did I learn of God? - He sees and knows everything. He delights in those who pursue Godliness, but detests those who don't. He disciplines those who turn from Him; if they don't then return to Him their separation from Him will be permanent. He knows the human heart. He detests the proud and un-Godly plans, but protects widows. He hears the prayers of the righteous, but not of the wicked.

What did I learn of myself? - If I give gentle answers anger will be deflected. If I speak harshly it will encourage anger. Do I encourage, or discourage others to learn more of the Lord? Do I learn from, or despise, correction? does the Lord regard me as upright or wicked? wise or foolish? is my heart glad or broken? Am I seeking knowledge diligently? or am I happy to fill my mind with trash? Knowing the Lord is true riches. Do I start fights or stop them? Are my plans pleasing to God? Am I greedy? Do I consider carefully before I speak? Do I heed, or reject, constructive criticism? Do I accept or reject discipline? Am I humble?

What did I praise God for? - His discipline.

What did I pray for? - greater knowledge of the Lord and His Ways.

Frances
Jan 8th 2009, 05:33 PM
Proverbs 16

What did I learn of God? - His Guidance is necessary for His people. He knows what encourages people's actions. He has made everything for a purpose. His Plans succeed. He will punish the proud. His unfailing Love and Faithfulness has made atonement for Sin. He offers Guidance. He demands honesty.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I accept the Lord's Guidance? or go my own way? If I follow the Lord I will succeed. God created me for a purpose. Pride will lead to my downfall. Am I faithful to the Lord? Is He pleased with all I do and say? Do I follow His Way? Am I always honest? Do I seek understanding and wisdom or silver and gold? Heading the Lord leads to prosperity and happiness. What I say comes from my heart. I may be led astray by what, at first sight, seems worthwhile. Do I gossip? Are my words destructive? Do I mislead others? Am I patient? Do I exercise self-control?

What did I praise God for? - the Guidance He offers.

What did I pray for? - understanding and wisdom.

Frances
Jan 9th 2009, 05:01 PM
Proverbs 17

What did I learn of God? - He examines hearts. He is insulted by, and will punish, those who mock the poor. He detests injustice.

What did I learn of myself? - If I listen to, and pass on gossip, I may become spiteful and destructive. If I rejoice at other's misfortune I may suffer for it. If I forgive I allow love to grow, but if I harp on faults I will kill love. Am I wise enough to heed a rebuke? Starting a quarrel could increase troubles. Am I a loyal friend? Do I help my relatives? I would be very unwise to act as security for anyone else's debt. Quarreling is Sin. Telling lies causes trouble. Misery will sap my strength, so I'd be wise to find a silver lining to every cloud. If I'm wise I'll say everything as briefly as possible, and keep even tempered.

What did I praise God for? - purifying my heart.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom.

Frances
Jan 10th 2009, 04:32 PM
Proverbs 18

What did I learn of God? - his Name is the security of those who trust and obey Him. Marriage is a Blessing from Hm.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I always a good and reliable friend? Do I desire greater understanding, or just to air my own views? Do I allow the Lord to speak to, and through, me? Do I enjoy and pass on rumors that have no foundation? Do I fully realise the Power in the Lord's Name when used by those who trust Him? To give my opinion without first discovering all the facts is foolish and may cause shame. Am I always willing to learn? Do I always listen to both sides of each argument? Do I offend others by talking too much?

What did I praise God for? - the security I have in His Name.

What did I pray for? - greater understanding of situations that affect me.

Frances
Jan 11th 2009, 04:33 PM
Proverbs 19

What did I learn of God? - A prudent marriage partner is a Blessing from Him. He regards things given to the poor as being lent to Him, and He will return it. He offers Life to those who trust and obey Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I a perverse fool, or do I have integrity? Do I seek knowledge of the Lord or ignore Him. If I tell lies it will be my downfall. I would be much wiser to give to the poor than to the rich. Am I wise enough to overlook other folk's faults. Am I prudent or contentious. Am I lazy?
Do I obey the Lord? Do I have pity on those in need? It is a kindness to correct the young when necessary. Am I willing to take advise, and learn from, the Lord? Am I always kind? Do I love and respect my parents?

What did I praise God for? - His many Blessings.

What did I pray for? - His Guidance.

What is this saying in one sentence? - More wise sayings.

Frances
Jan 12th 2009, 06:04 PM
Proverbs 20

What did I learn of God? - Different scales for buying and selling, or for rich and poor, are exceedingly offensive to Him. He created the very intricate human body. He gave each person a spirit to interact with Him, so He knows what is in each heart.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I wise enough to limit the alcohol I drink? Am I wise enough not to quarrel? Am I lazy? Do I learn from other's mistakes? Am I known for faithfulness and integrity? I cannot cleanse my own heart from Sin. Do I judge everything/everyone by the same standards? Do I take my sight and hearing for granted, or remember to thank the Lord for them? Knowledge of God is more valuable than gold or jewels. Am I honest or deceitful? Do I consider plans carefully before I act? Do I gossip? It is not wise to associate with those who gossip. An inheritance gained early in life is not appreciated as much as one received later. It is wise to wait for the Lord to deal with those who wrong me. I do not need to understand why the Lord Guides me as He does. Do I consider all the implications before making God a promise? The Lord knows what is in my heart. Am I merciful, truthful, loving and kind?

What did I praise God for? - the intricacy of the amazing bodies He Created for mankind.

What did I pray for? - to know how best to look after each part of my body.

Frances
Jan 13th 2009, 06:01 PM
Proverbs 21

What did I learn of God? - He examines the hearts and Guides those whose lives are submitted to Him. He is more pleased with righteousness and justice than sacrifice. He Judges all men wisely. His Wisdom and Understanding are paramount and victory comes from Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I follow the Lord's Guidance? He knows what is in my heart. Are all my actions pleasing to the Lord? Do I tell lies and seek wealth by underhanded means. Do I squander what I have? or am I diligent and honest? Do I help those with less of this world's benefits than myself? Do I spend my money wisely? Am I quarrelsome, complaining or angry? Does the Lord consider me righteous and merciful? Am I always wise? Am I arrogant and proud? Am I lazy? Do I covet what others have? or give to those less fortunate than myself? Even though I've made every possible preparation for the future, my trust must be in the Lord, not what I have prepared.

What did I praise God for? - His Guidance and Deliverance.

What did I pray for? - His Mercy.

Frances
Jan 14th 2009, 05:48 PM
Proverbs 22

What did I learn of God? - He made the rich and the poor. Humbly respecting Him leads to true riches, honour and Life. True knowledge comes from Him. He defends the poor and needy.

What did I learn of myself? - a good reputation is more valuable than great riches. Do I foresee troubles and take precautions/or trust to luck and suffer the consequences? Do I humbly trust the Lord and so benefit from His Protection? Do I teach children over whom I have influence to trust the Lord? Do I lead others to Righteousness or un-Godliness? Am I generous and gracious? Do I apply myself to wisdom and knowledge? Am I lazy? Does the Lord regard me as moral or immoral? Do I use my wealth wisely? Do I help those less fortunate than myself? If I have friends with major character flaws I may well develop those flaws too. I must not guarantee to pay anyone else's debts, or claim what is not rightfully mine. Could I become more competent in what I do?

What did I praise God for? - being willing to share His Knowledge.

What did I pray for? - to please the Lord in all I do.

What is this saying in one sentence? - more practical wisdom of the ancient world.

Frances
Jan 15th 2009, 05:22 PM
Proverbs 23

What did I learn of God? - He defends orphans against those desiring to cheat them. Those obedient to Him on earth will be with Him in Eternity.

What did I learn of myself? - If I'm a 'social climber' I may find myself in unwelcome situations. If I am a workaholic my wealth may vanish as fast as it is gained. Do I eat too much at the expense of others? Not everyone will appreciate my wisdom. Am I totally honest? Do I endeavor to gain knowledge of God? Do I discipline children over whom I have authority in ways that please the Lord? Do I try to please Him in all I do and say? Do I eat or drink too much? Do I take care of elderly relatives? Do my morals please the Lord?

What did I praise God for? - He is my Redeemer?

What did I pray for? - wisdom and ability to please the Lord?

What is this saying in one sentence? - more ancient wisdom.

Frances
Jan 16th 2009, 04:45 PM
Proverbs 24

What did I learn of God? - He understands all hearts. He knows me. He repays all people as their actions deserve.

What did I learn of myself? - It is not sensible to envy those who stir up trouble, or to desire their company. If my life is based on knowledge of God and His Ways I will become wiser and stronger. It is not wise to do battle without the Lord's Guidance, which He may give through other folk. Am I always totally honest? Do I stand up for myself? Do I help those in trouble? Do I turn a 'blind eye' to injustice hoping somebody else will stand up for truth, honour, freedom and courtesy? God knows the real reasons I fail Him; He will repay me as my actions deserve. He gives the Strength necessary to please Him. I have no reason to worry about, or envy, those who rebel against the Lord and His Ways, for He will punish them as they deserve.

What did I praise God for? - His Guidance.

What did I pray for? - His Wisdom to deal with difficult situations and people in ways that Glorify Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - more wisdom.

Quote:-(Jennifer Milner)" Whose Job is it?
This is a story about four people.
Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.
There was an important job to be done.
Everybody was asked to do it.
Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.
Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody'd job.
Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody did it.
Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody's job.
Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobdoy realised that Everybody wouldn't do it.
It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody, when Nobody did what Anybody could have done."

Frances
Jan 17th 2009, 05:38 PM
Proverbs 25

What did I learn of God? - It is His privilege to conceal things. He, alone, knows the height of heaven and the depth of the earth.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I seek Truth? Do I exalt myself(Luke 14:7-14) Do I try to settle all disputes privately? Is what I say likened to jewels or rubbish by the Lord? Am I the Lord's faithful messenger? Do I boast of what I give away? Gentle speech may be more effective than being forceful. Too much sweetness causes nausea. Do I visit neighbours too often? Do I bear false witness(gossip)? Am I always truthful? Giving the necessities of life to an enemy is giving to the Lord. Do I always try to impart good news? Do I practice self-control?

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness to me.

What did I pray for? - that I will always be faithful to Him.

Frances
Jan 18th 2009, 05:57 PM
Proverbs 26

What did I learn of myself? - Does God consider me a fool? Committing Sin invites demonisation. Am I always sensible? If I consider myself wise I am fooling myself. Am I lazy? or keen to do necessary things? Do I interfere in other people's arguments? Do I say what is not true as a "joke"? Do I gossip? if so I would be wise to stop. If I quarrel I must expect to get hurt. Do I pass on rumors? if so I may be encouraging lies to spread. If I set a trap for others it may hurt me instead. Do I tell lies (eg. flattery)?

What did I praise God for? - His wisdom.

What did I pray for? - The desire to do what I am able, and the wisdom to have sufficient relaxation.

What is this saying in one sentence? - more of Solomon's wisdom.

Frances
Jan 19th 2009, 06:06 PM
Proverbs 27

What did I learn of myself? - It is foolish to boast about a future I cannot control, or to praise myself. Resentment will wear me out, anger hurt me, and jealousy is dangerous, so I would be wise to overlook all real or imagined wrongs. I am hurt less by a rebuke than by unexpressed love. Do I express love I have for others? A local friend will be more help when I am in need than relatives far away. Have my parents reason to be proud of me? Do I prepare for what is to come Ė on this earth and in eternity? Constant chatter can be a grave annoyance. Discussions with someone of like mind benefits both of us. Do I reward sufficiently those who help me? Do others consider me sensible or foolish? Do I do all I can to protect my future income?

What did I praise God for? - His willingness to have a relationship with me, that is more precious than gold.

What did I pray for? - greater desire to give to those less fortunate than myself.

What is this saying in one sentence? - more of Solomon's wisdom.

Frances
Jan 20th 2009, 06:23 PM
Proverbs 28

What did I learn of God? - He offers understanding to those who seek to know Him. He abhors the prayers of those who know, but ignore, His Law. He is Merciful to those who repent.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I live in fear because I ignore God? Trusting God makes me bold. Trying to lord it over my peers may harm us all. Do I obey, or reject, God's Law? Only if I trust the Lord will I understand Justice. Integrity makes me better off than anyone more wealthy but dishonest. Do I choose my companions wisely. Only if I heed God's Word can I rely on Him heeding mine. Do I lead others away from the Truth of God's Word? Am I only wise in my own eyes? Do I confess, and turn away from, my Sin? Am I afraid of displeasing God? or do I ignore His displeasure? Do I try to understand other people's actions? Do I complete necessary work before seeking pleasure? Am I faithful to the Lord? Do I appreciate honest criticism more than flattery? Trusting my own thoughts is foolish but trusting the Lord leads to true prosperity. Do I help, or turn away from, those in need?

What did I praise God for? - His understanding.

What did I pray for? - to choose my companions wisely.

Frances
Jan 21st 2009, 08:06 PM
Proverbs 29
What did I learn of God? - He Saves those who trust in Him (:25) Justice comes from Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I unnecessarily obstinate? Do I display wisdom or foolishness? Is my judgment swayed by the possibility of a present? My transgressions will ensnare me? Do I help those in need? Do I desire to lead others to Salvation? Am I wise enough to keep my anger in check? Do I encourage folk to tell lies by believing them? Do I use discipline when necessary? Do I think before a I speak? or am I foolish? Do I encourage strife by my anger? Am I proud or humble? Do I trust the Lord in all things? God will ensure I receive Justice. If I am honest I will always be at loggerheads with those who are not - and vice verse.

What did I praise God for? - His offer of Salvation.

What did I pray for? - to always think before I speak.

Quote:- (Alan Redpath) "There are many queer ideas about cross-bearing. I recall a man once saying to me 'I have a fierce temper, but I suppose that is my cross.'
'My friend' I said to him (lovingly I hope) 'That is your wife's cross, it is your Sin."

Frances
Jan 22nd 2009, 05:07 PM
Proverbs 30+31

What did I learn of God? - He Created the world. All His Word is tested, and found to be pure. Jesus Christ is His Son. He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. He may well rebuke those who add to, or take away from, His Word (Deut. 4:2)

What did I learn of myself? - Do I admit my ignorance? or am I foolish enough to exalt myself? Do I trust all of the Holy Bible to be true? Do I bless my parents? or mock my father and despise my mother's advise? Am I covered by Jesus Christ's Righteousness? or do I consider that Blessing God offers unnecessary? Do I understand how an eagle glides through the sky? and how a snake slithers on a rock? how to navigate the ocean? human reproduction? and the need for marital faithfulness? Do I learn from God's Creation? eg. ants, rock badgers, locusts and spiders? Have I been foolish enough to exalt myself and cause strife? Do I stand up for the poor and needy? Am I trustworthy? Do I do the work I am able to? Do I plan for the future? Do I do all I can to please the Lord'?

What did I praise God for? - all of His Creation.

What did I pray for? - (:7 - :9) Help never to tell a lie, and have neither poverty or riches.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the wisdom of Agur.