PDA

View Full Version : Many Christians have limiting beliefs

Trance
Dec 27th 2008, 05:32 PM
:giveup: I have to get this off my chest. I think many Christians are narrow/limited minded. I grew up going to church, the youth groups, the whole nine yards. Along the way I picked up limiting beliefs from peers and pastors saying that I can't have that dream job I've always wanted, that ideal woman I've always imagined, etc. because maybe God doesn't want me to have those. But God gave me those desires, right? Somebody here is a liar, and I know what I want in my heart. I'm done with church. I don't need people telling me I can't accomplish anything. These types of beliefs can severely hurt somebody, because some impressionable teenager at church may think that he should settle for something less than the best because he thinks that's what "God or the consensus of the church is leading him to do so." I'd like to hear one good reason to prove me wrong. I'll still believe in God and Jesus, but as far as hearing the lies of people at church, I don't need to have people bring me down.

Bethany67
Dec 27th 2008, 05:45 PM
There will always be people promoting their own agendas; my old church thought I should give up higher education without graduating and just dedicate my life to their little isolationist fellowship. Nevertheless we are part of one Body and connected to each other, so we can't just give up and cut ourselves off. If you think people are teaching wrong stuff, I'd encourage you above all to stand on scripture and pray to seek God's mind on the matter because ultimately it's Him you are answerable to for your own personal choices. Then it's up to you whether you gently challenge them or not.

Vhayes
Dec 27th 2008, 05:53 PM
:giveup: I have to get this off my chest. I think many Christians are narrow/limited minded. I grew up going to church, the youth groups, the whole nine yards. Along the way I picked up limiting beliefs from peers and pastors saying that I can't have that dream job I've always wanted, that ideal woman I've always imagined, etc. because maybe God doesn't want me to have those. But God gave me those desires, right? Somebody here is a liar, and I know what I want in my heart. I'm done with church. I don't need people telling me I can't accomplish anything. These types of beliefs can severely hurt somebody, because some impressionable teenager at church may think that he should settle for something less than the best because he thinks that's what "God or the consensus of the church is leading him to do so." I'd like to hear one good reason to prove me wrong. I'll still believe in God and Jesus, but as far as hearing the lies of people at church, I don't need to have people bring me down.
Psalm 37

4-Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. 5-Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

I am older, 55, and there are things I have discovered over time. One is, God is not a great big Santa Claus giving out whatever we demand of Him. He always knows what is best for us even when we cannot see it.

I am blessed in so many ways. You see, God has given me the desires of my heart. Once I began delighting in Him and not in other people or things, He began to shape me in ways I had never dreamed of. My life has been an amazing journey. I have done without many things people feel are critical to their happiness but I didn't question His will and His ways. I KNEW He had a plan and I could in no way improve on that plan.

He will give you the desires of your heart. Your desires may change once you begin delighting in Him but He certainly will give you the desires of your heart.

I'm not telling you to settle for second best or something you do not want. I agree with you that is wrong. Seek God's will and tell Him how you feel. He made you, fashioned you in your mothers womb - He knows your thoughts and desires better than you. He is a loving Father who wants what is ultimately best for you, what will make you into the person He wants you to be.

Matthew 7

8-"For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
9-"Or what man is there among you who, when his son asks for a loaf, will give him a stone?
10-"Or if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? 11-"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!

Athanasius
Dec 27th 2008, 06:06 PM
I'd like to hear one good reason to prove me wrong.

What are we trying to prove you wrong about?

RevLogos
Dec 27th 2008, 08:59 PM

You are absolutely right. It is no one else's business what God has in mind for you. That is between you and God. No one else knows what God has planned for you either.

Perhaps it's time to leave that church and find another. Perhaps it's time to engage in private study and prayer for a while. Whatever you do let the Lord and scripture be your true guide. But do not be driven by anger. Forgive them, shake the dust from your feet and move on. And you will find peace in your journey.

amazzin
Dec 27th 2008, 09:03 PM

I am sorry your Christian experience has been a bad one. Don't let that one rotten church spoil the rest of the churches who empower people to be what God called them to be.

The purpose of gathering together with other believers is to "encourage, comfort and strengthen". If that isn't happening then it is a place where "control" and "do and don'ts" abound because some pastor or leader is paranoid or thinks too highly of themselves.

Prophet Daniel
Dec 27th 2008, 09:17 PM
I don't need people telling me I can't accomplish anything. .........These types of beliefs can severely hurt somebody, because some impressionable teenager at church may think that he should settle for something less than the best because he thinks that's what "God or the consensus of the church is leading him to do so." I'd like to hear one good reason to prove me wrong. I'll still believe in God and Jesus, but as far as hearing the lies of people at church, I don't need to have people bring me down.

You will find the truth. God gives one more than others in certain areas and in other areas not. As long as you don't make it a law to someone who is contend with what they have to have more, they should't do it to you......

moonglow
Dec 27th 2008, 10:59 PM
God may be the one putting those desires and dreams in your heart!

I don't understand why they would say this...did they give you some verses to back up what they said? Unless the dream job is something that involves sinning...which is doubtful or it probably wouldn't be a 'dream job'...then I just don't know why they would say this.

Hang in there and be encouraged!

God bless

Trance
Dec 29th 2008, 05:19 AM
Hey all, thanks for your insights; they were extremely helpful. I'm going to continue to live by faith moreso than I have done before. I vividly remember this one part from the new movie "Rocky Balboa," when Rocky tells his son that not everything is going to go well in his life, and that sometimes you're going to get some punches. He says it's not how hard you always punch, but how you punch back after being hit. I'm using this metaphorically, not talking about really fighting. Anyways he continues saying, stop blaming other people for your problems, and go out there and get what you believe you are worth. After hearing that, I felt like God was speaking directly to me through that part. Does anybody think that God can speak like that to people, through movies or some type of media like that?

Vhayes
Dec 29th 2008, 05:42 AM
Absolutely!! God can and does use many ways to "speak" to us, inspire us, move us in one direction or the other.

I'm so thankful you found encouragement both with the movie and here!

Be blessed!
V

parker
Dec 29th 2008, 08:45 AM
Trance, what can I say? You are correct. Many believers are narrow-minded.

Have I ever told you about vacuum cleaner salesmen?;)

Trance
Dec 30th 2008, 03:36 PM
Hey I read some articles here and there online that analyzed the verse "Delight youself in the Lord..." I do try to delight myself in the Lord with staying true to his commands and meditating scripture. For a long time I asked God to give me the desires that he wants for me. I don't open myself up a whole lot to people, but I guess I will today: As far as I know for sure, a desire I had for a long time was to get married to a particular type of woman with particular features. I asked God make sure all my desires are congruent with what he wants for me. Very recently God implanted a brand new desire in me, to go back to grad school. It feels like there are so many naysayers who want to kill these dreams if I reveal them to them.