PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Ezekiel 33 into the new blood covenant

reformedct
Dec 29th 2008, 05:49 PM
I have seen many times people try to mix this passage into the new covenant.

Ezekiel 33: 10-20

10 “And you, son of man, say to the house of Israel, Thus have you said: ‘Surely our transgressions and our sins are upon us, and we rot away because of them. How then can we live?’ 11 Say to them, As I live, declares the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?
12 “And you, son of man, say to your people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him when he transgresses, and as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall by it when he turns from his wickedness, and the righteous shall not be able to live by his righteousness [1] (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Ezekiel+33#f1) when he sins. 13 Though I say to the righteous that he shall surely live, yet if he trusts in his righteousness and does injustice, none of his righteous deeds shall be remembered, but in his injustice that he has done he shall die. 14 Again, though I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ yet if he turns from his sin and does what is just and right, 15 if the wicked restores the pledge, gives back what he has taken by robbery, and walks in the statutes of life, not doing injustice, he shall surely live; he shall not die. 16 None of the sins that he has committed shall be remembered against him. He has done what is just and right; he shall surely live.
17 “Yet your people say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just,’ when it is their own way that is not just. 18 When the righteous turns from his righteousness and does injustice, he shall die for it. 19 And when the wicked turns from his wickedness and does what is just and right, he shall live by this. 20 Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ O house of Israel, I will judge each of you according to his ways.”

Is this passage referring to what Hebrews calls the New Covenant with better promises? The OT also says ALL our righteousness is like filthy rags?

Also, in the OT the Lord commanded that Samson, under the Nazarite vow, abstain from wine, stay away from dead things, etc.

Yet the Spirit of the Lord rushed on him and then he beat people to death with a jawbone from a freshly dead animal. He also did not "repent" of doing it. He simply did it and moved on with his life. He did not ask for forgiveness. He also scooped honey out of a dead carcass and ate it. Once again breaking his vow. He did not get punished or fall on the ground in repentance. He went about his business.

So, if Ezekiel 33 is referring to an everlasting covenant, why was it not mentioned in the NT, as sections of Jeremiah and Isaiah were? and why did Samson break his vows and not get condemned? He was even mentioned in the Hall of Faith i believe. if we take ezekiel 33 and apply it to Samson we have a problem, because Samson was never called a wicked man. He was an OT hero who had issues. He was mentioned honorably in the Hall of Faith.

So the question is, how can Ezekiel 33 be referring to the new everlasting covenant, built on better promises??

if you believe it is please show how??

i understand the whole Bible is the counsel of God, but the OT also has rules saying we shouldnt shave our beards, so we must be careful not to mix and mingle OT requirements under New Covenant requirements

Zack702
Dec 30th 2008, 03:33 AM
These words are not the old covenant.
These prophecies are against the "old covenant" which are even the visions of the broken covenant.

Seams to me this is actually refering to the new covenant and is outlining why they will not know Jesus at the time of his comming just as that to was prophecy. They had been taken captive and there destiny was allready in motion because they worshiped idols while the Lord alone prepared for them peace.

Who is "The Lord" who is revealing these words to men? This is not a covenant but this is words of the Lord. Given to men at a certain time to see who would harken to the words and who would rebel. That they would be saved and not abandoned as was the prophecy against them.