PDA

View Full Version : Ordered the ESV Study Bible!

poochie
Dec 30th 2008, 03:48 AM
I got it for only $47 on Amazon.com opposed to $45 on CBD + shipping. I bought the bonded leather edition. In my initial glances of this Bible I viewed it as the most sophisticated of study Bibles. Can anyone comment on the quality of the MacArthur study Bibles? Can they compare to the ESV Study Bible?

The ESV Study Bible has like a mini NT/OT Introduction like what a Gundry or Baylis will offer in their intro works. But the advantage of this ESV is that the articles are in the Bible itself! I also own the Zondervan NIV/KJV Study Bibles and they are nice, but not of the same quality as the ESV Study Bible. Once my ESV arrives I suppose I will need to sell my Reformation Study Bible as its notes, intro's and such are weak (however the font size is nice).

Please comment on your appreciate or lack thereof of this ESV Study Bible.

thepenitent
Dec 30th 2008, 05:14 AM
I got it for only $47 on Amazon.com opposed to $45 on CBD + shipping. I bought the bonded leather edition. In my initial glances of this Bible I viewed it as the most sophisticated of study Bibles. Can anyone comment on the quality of the MacArthur study Bibles? Can they compare to the ESV Study Bible?

The ESV Study Bible has like a mini NT/OT Introduction like what a Gundry or Baylis will offer in their intro works. But the advantage of this ESV is that the articles are in the Bible itself! I also own the Zondervan NIV/KJV Study Bibles and they are nice, but not of the same quality as the ESV Study Bible. Once my ESV arrives I suppose I will need to sell my Reformation Study Bible as its notes, intro's and such are weak (however the font size is nice).

Please comment on your appreciate or lack thereof of this ESV Study Bible.

I have had it since it came out and am more and more impressed with it. I just started an intense study of the book of Luke (for a study group I lead) and have been using it as one of my reference resources. I now think the study notes in this Bible are the most extensive, informative and useful of any study Bible I've ever used. I like it much better than the MacArthur study Bible, which isn't a dig at MacArthur (which I like) but a compliment of the ESV study Bible. The book introductions are awesome and the full color, in text, maps and illustrations are top notch. Be prepared, however, this is a big, thick, heavy Bible and not the one I think you'd want to lug around to Church.

I think you are going to love this Bible. It just blows away the Reformation Study Bible. Like you, I was not impressed with the Reformation Study Bible. Good reading!

poochie
Dec 30th 2008, 06:36 AM
I have seen it and it is bulky. But the bonded leather version may be a bit thinner than the hardback which is what everyone uses. I have a NIV Study Bible, a NKJV thinline and other compact editions I can lug to church. Besides 80% of Fundamentalist churches are KJVO or KJVP so I will want to bring a KJV into one of those environments.

The Reformation Study Bible is weak and I plan to sell it

I have had it since it came out and am more and more impressed with it. I just started an intense study of the book of Luke (for a study group I lead) and have been using it as one of my reference resources. I now think the study notes in this Bible are the most extensive, informative and useful of any study Bible I've ever used. I like it much better than the MacArthur study Bible, which isn't a dig at MacArthur (which I like) but a compliment of the ESV study Bible. The book introductions are awesome and the full color, in text, maps and illustrations are top notch. Be prepared, however, this is a big, thick, heavy Bible and not the one I think you'd want to lug around to Church.

I think you are going to love this Bible. It just blows away the Reformation Study Bible. Like you, I was not impressed with the Reformation Study Bible. Good reading!

chad
Dec 30th 2008, 07:06 AM
I have heard that the ESV study bible is quite good. The New updated versions of the NIV study bible are quite good as well.

Chad :rolleyes:

grit
Dec 30th 2008, 03:41 PM
I follow Bible publications quite closely. There were 2 new print study Bibles this fall which excel over all the others, both of which simply bear their translation's moniker, under their publisher's copyright - the NLT Study Bible, from Tyndale House Publishers, and the ESV Study Bible, from Crossway/Good News Publishers.

The notes and features in each far outweigh any other premier translation moniker study Bible from major Bible publishers (like, for example, the NIV Study Bible, the NASB Study Bible, or any of the various KJV Study Bibles).

In my consideration Crossway has met its goal of putting out the best study Bible on the market today. The ESV Study Bible is by far the best study Bible currently available.

TrustingFollower
Dec 30th 2008, 05:43 PM
I received the ESV study bible as a gift this Christmas. I haven't had the time to go through it all completely yet, but what I have been into is impressive. I think the part I like the most is the fact that the study notes are not doctrinally slanted. They seem to present all the different doctrine slants and leave it up to the reader to interpret which doctrine to follow. I think it is a good bible and recommend it to anyone looking for a study bible.

The one thing it is missing that would make it better for me would be red letters for Jesus' words. This is the first bible I have had without the red letters so I will just have to see how it works in that respect.

poochie
Dec 30th 2008, 05:51 PM
I received the ESV study bible as a gift this Christmas. I haven't had the time to go through it all completely yet, but what I have been into is impressive. I think the part I like the most is the fact that the study notes are not doctrinally slanted. They seem to present all the different doctrine slants and leave it up to the reader to interpret which doctrine to follow. I think it is a good bible and recommend it to anyone looking for a study bible.

The one thing it is missing that would make it better for me would be red letters for Jesus' words. This is the first bible I have had without the red letters so I will just have to see how it works in that respect.

The Reformation Study Bible also does not red letter His words. Perhaps they do that on purpose as their are liberal groups you know, that only believe that Christs words are inspired or divine.

poochie
Dec 30th 2008, 05:54 PM
Is this ESV Study Bible (bonded leather black) edition that much bigger than my NIV Study Bible (purchased in 2005) and my Reformation Study Bible? I have viewed the hardback ESV Study Bible, but never the bonded leather edition.

Do you think I should sell the Reformation study Bible and just pocket the money or perhaps buy a thinline ESV for carrying to church purposes? Or perhaps the bonded leather black ESV study Bible will be useful for carrying to church.

Thanks

BrckBrln
Dec 30th 2008, 05:54 PM
The Reformation Study Bible also does not red letter His words. Perhaps they do that on purpose as their are liberal groups you know, that only believe that Christs words are inspired or divine.

I'm pretty sure they do do that on purpose. I agree with it also, I never liked the red letters. Anyway, I recently go the ESV Study Bible and like everybody else I love it. The articles in the back look amazing. The one on Bible Doctrine is like a super mini systematic theology!

poochie
Dec 30th 2008, 05:57 PM
I'm pretty sure they do do that on purpose. I agree with it also, I never liked the red letters. Anyway, I recently go the ESV Study Bible and like everybody else I love it. The articles in the back look amazing. The one on Bible Doctrine is like a super mini systematic theology!

I noticed that and its all included in the Bible and will eliminate the need to also lug around systematic theologies, and NT/OT introductions. Although it cant match the depth of Erickson, Grudem, Carson & Moo, Gundry, and the OT Introductions, the advantage to the ESV Bible is the mini's are in the Bible itself.

TrustingFollower
Dec 30th 2008, 05:57 PM
I think it is something I will get used to. I only mentioned it because as I stated above this is the first bible I have ever had that didn't have the red letters. We know that all scripture is divine inspired so just a new thing to work out with this version for me.

thepenitent
Dec 30th 2008, 06:21 PM
I noticed that and its all included in the Bible and will eliminate the need to also lug around systematic theologies, and NT/OT introductions. Although it cant match the depth of Erickson, Grudem, Carson & Moo, Gundry, and the OT Introductions, the advantage to the ESV Bible is the mini's are in the Bible itself.

Actually, Grudem wrote much of the theological sections of this Bible and I believe he was one of the senior editors of the Bible also. That's probably why it's so good. Andreas Kostenberger (the premier scholar today on the books of John) wrote the notes for the Gospel of John. Further, Thomas Schriener (sp?) who recently wrote an excellent treatise on New Testament theology, wrote many of the study notes for various New Testament books. Darrell Bock also contributed. Thus, the writers and editors for this bible read like a who's who of some of worlds greatest theologians today.

tt1106
Dec 30th 2008, 06:24 PM
I use Quest, Apologetics and John Macarthur's study Bible. I have seen and browsed the ESV and think it is fantastic. If I didn't already have 3 others, I'd definitely pick one up.

markedward
Dec 30th 2008, 10:55 PM
I was given an ESV Study Bible for Christmas, and I must say I enjoy it thoroughly. It's an excellent literal translation, and I definitely appreciate the wide, lined margins for me to take notes in (as I usually have a Bible in hand, but no place to take notes).