PDA

View Full Version : The main difference to me between OT Jews and NT Christians

TransformedSon
Dec 30th 2008, 05:28 AM
Doesn't it seem like they had such a deeper respect and fear for God than the average Christian today. Admittedly, it's something I pray about a good bit because I know I don't hold God in as reverent of a position as I should; but the world we live in does not seem to have nearly as much reverence and submissiveness to God.

They seem like they were so much more disciplined to me. Maybe I'm off base, but that is just the feeling I get.

Anyone else feel like this?

John27
Dec 30th 2008, 05:43 AM
To me a select few seemed to fear God and follow the rules strictly, but the masses seemed to be drawn to sin. Throughout Genesis and Exodus the people turned to sin almost any chance that a prophet wasn't looking right at them.

Much like today a select group of strong believers and then there are the mass populas which doesn't believe, or say they believe and don't care.

TransformedSon
Dec 30th 2008, 05:44 AM
To me a select few seemed to fear God and follow the rules strictly, but the masses seemed to be drawn to sin. Throughout Genesis and Exodus the people turned to sin almost any chance that a prophet wasn't looking right at them.

Much like today a select group of strong believers and then there are the mass populas which doesn't believe, or say they believe and don't care.

That is probably true. Great point, John.

Zack702
Dec 30th 2008, 06:48 AM
I don't know about that.
Seams to me most Christians are concerned about others and isn't that basicly what its all about. I mean being concerned in a caring way and sharing.

crossnote
Dec 30th 2008, 07:11 AM
The OT Jews had their times of repentance but just as often they went astray into idolatry worshipping the gods of their neighboring countries. Read their prophets for a sad story. Consider after seeing their own miighty deliverance from Egypt and the many miracles on the way and yet...golden calves, grumbling,accusations against Moses hence against God etc. etc.

kenrank
Dec 30th 2008, 07:24 AM
Doesn't it seem like they had such a deeper respect and fear for God than the average Christian today. Admittedly, it's something I pray about a good bit because I know I don't hold God in as reverent of a position as I should; but the world we live in does not seem to have nearly as much reverence and submissiveness to God.

They seem like they were so much more disciplined to me. Maybe I'm off base, but that is just the feeling I get.

I believe that our culture, as unavoidable as it is, empowers US. I believe that empowerment in conjunction with certain doctrinal views, removes the "fear of God" and replaces it with complacentcy. While we are not supposed to be walking around with our tails tucked between our legs, I personally see the context of scripture as showing a need for a reverent and honest fear of God. Without it, we do not strive to please him, to seek his face, to desire more knowledge.

Because the Jews did not fully understand the entire meaning of the coming Messiah, that fear, when they walked in obediance, was more evident, more disciplined.
Peace.
Ken

kenrank
Dec 30th 2008, 07:28 AM
The OT Jews had their times of repentance but just as often they went astray into idolatry worshipping the gods of their neighboring countries. Read their prophets for a sad story. Consider after seeing their own miighty deliverance from Egypt and the many miracles on the way and yet...golden calves, grumbling,accusations against Moses hence against God etc. etc.

I have always been amazed that John, who quoted Isaiah 40:3 as pertaining to him in his preparing the way for YHWH (LORD), still sent his disciples to Yahushua (Jesus) to ask if he was the one to come or do they look for another. What, did he forget who he prepared the way for? He leapt in his mother's belly when Mary came near. (of course, he wouldn't remember THAT) But I think TIME plays a roll against us all at times. How many times have WE seen God do something special, or to or through another...maybe through us...and then we question it months later. "Did God REALLY do ____?" How about having 40 years pass between miracles?

Peace.
Ken

thepenitent
Dec 30th 2008, 07:34 AM
When I read the condemnations of Isaiah and Jerimiah regarding the ungodliness of their fellow Jews, I can't help but see many parallels with many modern day so called "Christians". The love of money. The child sacrifice (compared to present day abortion), the worship of false gods. It's scary. I know every generation since Jesus' ascention has thought they were the generation which would see Jesus return but eventually one will be correct and it may just be ours.

gringo300
Oct 11th 2011, 10:05 PM
From what I understand, Jews tend to use the term Tanakh.

From what I can tell, it's basically the Old Testament.

ewq1938
Oct 11th 2011, 10:17 PM
Doesn't it seem like they had such a deeper respect and fear for God than the average Christian today.

Except they committed fornication with false gods and were divorced by God lol How long did it take them to make golden idols when Moses left to meet with God?

keck553
Oct 14th 2011, 07:58 PM
The glaring difference I see between religious Jews and Christians these days is that the divorce rate among Jews is about 90% less than the divorce rate among Christians.

What did Jesus say...."Ye shall know them by their fruit...."

episkopos
Oct 14th 2011, 08:35 PM

The message of instant salvation and eternal fire insurance has certainly made moot the idea of fearing God.

ewq1938
Oct 14th 2011, 10:54 PM
The glaring difference I see between religious Jews and Christians these days is that the divorce rate among Jews is about 90% less than the divorce rate among Christians.

What did Jesus say...."Ye shall know them by their fruit...."

Rom_7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

It's better to be a divorced Christian, saved by the blood of Jesus, than to be a married non-christian.

keck553
Oct 15th 2011, 02:56 AM
Rom_7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

It's better to be a divorced Christian, saved by the blood of Jesus, than to be a married non-christian.

I see. Disobey your Savior, crucify Him twice as long as you've spoken the magic words and have your grace card in your back pocket, it's all good to conform to the world.

ewq1938
Oct 15th 2011, 03:08 AM
I see. Disobey your Savior, crucify Him twice as long as you've spoken the magic words and have your grace card in your back pocket, it's all good to conform to the world.

That's basically how they erred and continue to, yes.

John 8:52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.
John 8:53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?
John 8:54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:
John 8:55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.

DDGresham1
Oct 15th 2011, 03:17 AM
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (can't remember the book/verse). As far as the divorce rate among Jews, I don't know if that is the only fruit that Jesus would be looking at. I don't know that it would be a valid single measuring stick if fruit...anyway, I'm farily certain that people are generally the same when it comes to belief demographics.

John Zain
Nov 12th 2011, 09:31 PM
Here's a couple of things to keep in mind:

OT Israelites did not have the Holy Spirit to teach them, sanctify them, etc.
OT Israelites had no revelation ... they were forced to follow the prophets.
OT Israelites were into the fear of God more than the NT love of God.

NT believers have the Holy Spirit, revelation, spiritual power, etc.
NT believers are attacked/deceived by demons due to their potential to harm Satan's plans.
NT believers would be much more spiritual if it weren't for Satan's harmful influence
(just one example: where do you think the pressing idea to commit suicide comes from?)