PDA

View Full Version : What is the best concordance?

Romber
Dec 31st 2008, 03:39 AM
Hi, I am looking to buy an exhaustive concordance with a hebrew and greek list (to get the direct wording/translation when needed). The only problem is there are many of them out there, and being only a student, money isn't one of my strong points :D.

So I was wondering if you guys could give me the names/links/ whatever of the exhaustive concordances you use and actually enjoy a lot. Thanks!

karenoka27
Dec 31st 2008, 03:43 AM
I've used the Strong's Concordance for years. I have worn out the pages!
I highly recommend it.

Brother Mark
Dec 31st 2008, 03:45 AM
Strong's is excellent and I've used it for years. But if you have a PC, you can get it for free online. Also, check out e-sword. A computer is one of the single best ways to research words in scripture.

Romber
Dec 31st 2008, 03:54 AM
I have checked out the online versions, but I need a book because I don't have a computer around when I study my bible.

I highly recommend it.

But which version specifically? When I checked online there were so many different "strong" versions out there, I got really confused as to which is best.

Brother Mark
Dec 31st 2008, 04:35 AM
I have checked out the online versions, but I need a book because I don't have a computer around when I study my bible.

But which version specifically? When I checked online there were so many different "strong" versions out there, I got really confused as to which is best.

Get the one for the version of the bible you use. However, consider this...

The KJV, NKJV, and NASB are more suited to word studies. So I would recommend a Strongs for one of those versions. The NLT, or NIV, etc are more thought for thought translations and as such, are not as good for word studies.

I use several different bibles but in the strongs, I like NASB or KJV.

crossnote
Dec 31st 2008, 06:13 AM
Often your local library will have a few on the shelf. Also take a look at the Young's Analytical Concordance, it is harder to find but worth considering.

Romber
Dec 31st 2008, 02:50 PM
Get the one for the version of the bible you use. However, consider this...

The KJV, NKJV, and NASB are more suited to word studies. So I would recommend a Strongs for one of those versions. The NLT, or NIV, etc are more thought for thought translations and as such, are not as good for word studies.

I use several different bibles but in the strongs, I like NASB or KJV.

Heres the problem. My bible is special translation. It is Holman Christian Standard. I guess it would most closely be related to whatever translation is most like modern english, easy for readers to understand the thought and literal meaning behind every passage.

theBelovedDisciple
Dec 31st 2008, 03:49 PM
I highly recommend it.

The same here.. worn out the pages.. and I highly recommend the Strongs Concordance.. mine used to have a hard red cover on it.. both front and back are worn out and gone.. Have a Blessed 2009!

Teke
Dec 31st 2008, 03:57 PM
Hi, I am looking to buy an exhaustive concordance with a hebrew and greek list (to get the direct wording/translation when needed). The only problem is there are many of them out there, and being only a student, money isn't one of my strong points :D.

So I was wondering if you guys could give me the names/links/ whatever of the exhaustive concordances you use and actually enjoy a lot. Thanks!

Books on words are nice, I've studied many and they only take one so far. I'd go with the first definition for "concordance", which you can find in the people of God, being "of one accord". :saint:

graceforme
Dec 31st 2008, 04:25 PM
Heres the problem. My bible is special translation. It is Holman Christian Standard. I guess it would most closely be related to whatever translation is most like modern english, easy for readers to understand the thought and literal meaning behind every passage.

It probably would be difficult for you to use a concordance when you are using a modern translation of the Bible. If you're going to continue using the modern translation (which is more than likely a paraphrase), I wouldn't even bother with a concordance. However, using the KJV is, in my humble opinion, the best Bible for word study (and any study, for that matter).

Isn't it wonderful to have so many resources at our disposal to study God's Word? http://bibleforums.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Have a wonderful, Christ-filled day.

Brother Mark
Dec 31st 2008, 04:40 PM

I've heard good things about that bible. From what I understand it is supposed to be a cross between word for word and thought for thought. If you can find a strongs concordance for that version, that would be best.

Eventually, if you like word studies, you will also want to have access to an Englishman's Concordance of Greek and Hebrew. In that way, you can look up all the uses of a particular Greek or Hebrew word.

Brother Mark
Dec 31st 2008, 04:42 PM
It probably would be difficult for you to use a concordance when you are using a modern translation of the Bible. If you're going to continue using the modern translation (which is more than likely a paraphrase), I wouldn't even bother with a concordance. However, using the KJV is, in my humble opinion, the best Bible for word study (and any study, for that matter).

Isn't it wonderful to have so many resources at our disposal to study God's Word? http://bibleforums.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Have a wonderful, Christ-filled day.

The Holman Christian Standard is not a paraphrase. It is a translation.

There are Strong's Concordances for more than just the KJV. I know the NASB has one. Perhaps there is one for the NIV but I am not sure.

Romber
Dec 31st 2008, 07:04 PM
I've heard good things about that bible. From what I understand it is supposed to be a cross between word for word and thought for thought. If you can find a strongs concordance for that version, that would be best.

Eventually, if you like word studies, you will also want to have access to an Englishman's Concordance of Greek and Hebrew. In that way, you can look up all the uses of a particular Greek or Hebrew word.

Yes, the translation is an in between of word for word and thought for thought.

If I can't find a strongs concordance for HCSB, then is it worth even getting one? I mean, it is pretty fruitless to get a concordance for a different version,right?

Brother Mark
Dec 31st 2008, 07:12 PM
Yes, the translation is an in between of word for word and thought for thought.

If I can't find a strongs concordance for HCSB, then is it worth even getting one? I mean, it is pretty fruitless to get a concordance for a different version,right?

I would still recommend you getting one. But you just have to be aware of the limitations. Get one for the NASB as it will be closest to the Holman's translation you have. When you get ready to do a study, just keep in mind that Holman's may use a different word.

The biggest issue you will have is when you are looking for a particular verse, you may remember a word. Then when you look up that word in the concordance, it may not be the same word that Homan's used. So then you won't be able to find the verse.

My recommendation, get an inexpensive NASB to go with your NASB strongs IF the new version doesn't have a strongs with it yet.

Another option, I just found an comprehensive concordance for sale onlin for the Holman's translation for $15. Comprehensive doesn't mean exhaustive though.

Are you wanting it for Greek and Hebrew studies or just to look up english words so you can find them in scripture?

Psalms Fan
Dec 31st 2008, 07:47 PM
There are only two Strong's concordances: one for the KJV and one for the NASB, and the one for the NASB is pretty new.

If money isn't your forte these days, then I would recommend downloading (for free, mind you) e-sword and downloading (for free as well) the KJV with Strong's (and any other free Bible that they have available).

I like the HCSB. It is one of about 4 that I will ever recommend to a new christian (or to anyone, really) as a primary bible (along with the NASB, ESV, and NIV. There might be some more, but I can't think of any).

I hope your search and studies go well.

Romber
Dec 31st 2008, 08:22 PM
Are you wanting it for Greek and Hebrew studies or just to look up english words so you can find them in scripture?

I am wanting it for both.

Brother Mark
Dec 31st 2008, 08:24 PM
I am wanting it for both.

Then I would suggest getting a concordance for the Holman bible, getting an NASB or KJV and a strongs concordance to go with it. That should get you all you are wanting.

You can do all of that for probably $35 or so.

Romber
Dec 31st 2008, 08:38 PM
Ok, I could do that. Thanks Mark!