PDA

View Full Version : Is this okay to do in here? and bible reading suggestions

*Living~By~Faith*
Dec 31st 2008, 01:27 PM
Starting tomorrow -- January 1st, I'll begin reading the bible through. I will begin in Genesis, but I might decide not to read the bible straight through. There is just so much in the bible that I've heard other's mention and that I find interesting and want to start digging into it to see for myself what's in the bible.

I've really struggled with having a desire, interest, determination and willpower to read my bible daily. I've been praying that the Lord would give me the interest to read the bible, but it still hasn't happened. But I'm going to put an effort into changing that. Maybe once I really get into it, then I'll see how amazing it is and want to continue to know more.

I guess that was an introduction to this thread. I would like to put a thread in this section on each chapter as I read them. Is this section the right section for doing this? I'm going to try reading three chapters a day, but only studying one at a time. That would mean I'd put Genesis 1, Genesis 2, ect in different threads. I was wondering if that is an okay way to do it. I didn't want to go overboard and have too many threads on bible study going at once.

I also plan on reading proverbs that coincides with the date and a couple of psalms a day and would maybe want to do them the same way.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can go about doing this without getting tired of it after a while, please feel free to share with me. I think proverbs and psalms are wonderful books and want to include them in my daily reading, but I'm not sure if that'll be too much to read and study into in one day.

dworthington
Dec 31st 2008, 01:38 PM
I've heard it suggested to start Bible reading with the gospel of John, then read the Psalms, after that go to Genesis and read through to Revelation. I have been reading the Bible for some 30 years and it doesn't get old.

The Parson
Dec 31st 2008, 03:06 PM
Starting tomorrow -- January 1st, I'll begin reading the bible through. I will begin in Genesis, but I might decide not to read the bible straight through. There is just so much in the bible that I've heard other's mention and that I find interesting and want to start digging into it to see for myself what's in the bible.

I've really struggled with having a desire, interest, determination and willpower to read my bible daily. I've been praying that the Lord would give me the interest to read the bible, but it still hasn't happened. But I'm going to put an effort into changing that. Maybe once I really get into it, then I'll see how amazing it is and want to continue to know more.

I guess that was an introduction to this thread. I would like to put a thread in this section on each chapter as I read them. Is this section the right section for doing this? I'm going to try reading three chapters a day, but only studying one at a time. That would mean I'd put Genesis 1, Genesis 2, ect in different threads. I was wondering if that is an okay way to do it. I didn't want to go overboard and have too many threads on bible study going at once.

I also plan on reading proverbs that coincides with the date and a couple of psalms a day and would maybe want to do them the same way.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can go about doing this without getting tired of it after a while, please feel free to share with me. I think proverbs and psalms are wonderful books and want to include them in my daily reading, but I'm not sure if that'll be too much to read and study into in one day.Normally that would be done in Bible Study. Go ahead with it here and it can be moved later if need be. Looking forward to it.

Butch5
Dec 31st 2008, 03:24 PM

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can go about doing this without getting tired of it after a while, please feel free to share with me. I think proverbs and psalms are wonderful books and want to include them in my daily reading, but I'm not sure if that'll be too much to read and study into in one day.

Hi Living by Faith,

For your study, let me recommend an mp3 player, you can download the KJV for free and listen while you are doing other things.

AliveinChristDave
Dec 31st 2008, 03:54 PM

Your idea of reading Proverbs and Psalms daily is very good.
Plus, reading the Bible through systematically is fine also.
One thing that really benefits me is to choose one book, preferably a short one like Ephesian or Colossians and read it through every day for 3-4 months. Keep a notebook for recording things you see and things God speaks to you about as you read it. Also use your Strongs to investigate the meanings of words as you read.
As you read the Lord will launch you out into other books.
God's desire for us is to be filled with His Word which in turn will fill us with Jesus Christ.
I found that doing this really creates a hunger and thirst for the things of the Lord.
We don't need to just fill ourselves up with knowledge, although knowledge is important, because knowledge without the Living Christ is just hollow facts.

*Living~By~Faith*
Dec 31st 2008, 06:02 PM
I forgot to mention in my OP that what I'd like is to post those topics have people explain in their own words what they got out of that particular chapter. That way we'd be learning from one another because after all someone could see something that someone else may have missed.

I don't have an mp3 player right now, but I have thought about getting one sometime. But I do have a small hand held tape recorder that I've used to record some sermons and class sessions with. What I plan on doing is taking my tape recorder and recording the bible passages off of bible gateway. I'll listen to it while it's recording, but will also read it for myself sometime during the day. I guess I could read along with it while it's recording as well. Some learn more my hearing and some by reading, but I don't really know which is better for me.

I don't plan on starting with Ephesians, but that is a book that I've always been interested in. All I really remember reading about in Ephesians was about the full Armor of God. So I'll probably go to that book pretty early in my reading

carissadawn
Dec 31st 2008, 06:21 PM
Hi, LBF. :) I did this last year, started reading all the way through. I started in April though, and followed a Bible reading plan I found. As a result, I ended up starting in 1 kings lol-it was pretty dry reading for someone without much experience in the Bible, but I perservered for a while and some of the characters started becoming familliar. I was reading 2 to 3 chapters each night, but I was also reading these little devotionals in my Bible that had "companion passages" to go with them. A lot of times the companion passages were in the epistles or the gospel, so I started getting more interested in the New testament (and it was much easier reading! LOL!)

I think I ended up going through 1 kings almost to the end of the old testament-I never did read the whole Bible this year, BUT I feel that if I end up reading it through this upcoming year it will be much easier because I am so much more familiar with it. The first few weeks last year I was just reading, my mind wandering all over, because it was stuff that wasn't really interesting to me. I made sure to take my time before bed every night though and continue...now I can read my Bible and really feel like i'm getting something out of it-it's like somewere over the last year, my eyes were opened ad I feel like i'm actually reading something and understanding it-when I first started it was all unclear to me like I was reading underwater or something...

I would say, definitely read your Bible nightly, and make sure to go where He leads you to read. Maybe you could pray that he will help your nightly reading and grant you understanding. I don't know how many times i've thought of a verse, and not known exactly where it was, but wanted to find it-sure enough the same verse I was thinking of was right there in my Bible reading within the next few nights. He really does guide us.

I'd love to hear about your progress! I'm still really new in the faith, and this is something that really interests me. :hug:

Psalms Fan
Dec 31st 2008, 08:07 PM
I've read the Bible through a few times, and the way that I enjoyed the most was reading the OT in the order of the Hebrew canon (same books, but different order).

Law
-Genesis
-Exodus
-Leviticus
-Numbers
-Deuteronomy

Prophets
Former Prophets
-Joshua
-Judges
-Samuel
-Kings
Latter Prophets
-Isaiah
-Jeremiah
-Ezekiel
-The Twelve

Writings
Poetic
-Psalms
-Proverbs
-Job
Five Rolls
-Song of Solomon
-Ruth
-Lamentations
-Esther
-Ecclesiastes
Historical
-Daniel
-Ezra-Nehemiah
-Chronicles

Not that it really makes a difference either way, but I've found that to be very enjoyable.

Something that someone recommended to me, which I just started to do a few months ago, is to read 5 Psalms and 1 chapter from Proverbs every day. That way each month you read through both of those books. I've found it to be a huge blessing.

tt1106
Dec 31st 2008, 08:54 PM
I am not a fan of reading the Bible straight through. Now studying the Bible straight through.
Get a good Study Bible.

Read the scripture. Read the corresponding study notes. Read the other reference verses. then read the scripture again. An hour a day. It will also help you understand God's intent. I used to NEVER read the OT, now I Love to read it.

*Living~By~Faith*
Dec 31st 2008, 09:26 PM
I've read the Bible through a few times, and the way that I enjoyed the most was reading the OT in the order of the Hebrew canon (same books, but different order).

Something that someone recommended to me, which I just started to do a few months ago, is to read 5 Psalms and 1 chapter from Proverbs every day. That way each month you read through both of those books. I've found it to be a huge blessing.

Do you feel like you get a lot out of the psalms when you read several of them in the same day? Do you read them and focus on them separately? I want to read the five psalms a day so I can read through them every month like proverbs. But I don't know if I would get much out of it doing it this way. I think I may try it for a month so that I can read through them, then start over the next month only reading two or three a day. I don't want to just read one psalm a day because then I'd only go through the psalms twice a year and some three times.

I still haven't bought a good study bible yet. There are just so many to choose from that I don't know which one I should get. I've gotten recommendations on here before, but it really just comes down to what I like. But I'm going to look over my old posts and make a list of these recommendations and see if I can get one or two that I like. My mentor told me of the two that she uses but I can't remember what they are right now. I'm going to ask her if I can look over them and see if the kind she has may be what I want to buy.

threebigrocks
Dec 31st 2008, 11:30 PM
Good idea to ask a friend. You can also go to the library and using a section or piece of scripture you like, or John 1, use what they have on the shelves to compare the different versions. They usually carry the most popular ones, and you wouldn't need to check them out.

Psalms Fan
Dec 31st 2008, 11:53 PM
Do you feel like you get a lot out of the psalms when you read several of them in the same day? Do you read them and focus on them separately? I want to read the five psalms a day so I can read through them every month like proverbs. But I don't know if I would get much out of it doing it this way. I think I may try it for a month so that I can read through them, then start over the next month only reading two or three a day. I don't want to just read one psalm a day because then I'd only go through the psalms twice a year and some three times.

I still haven't bought a good study bible yet. There are just so many to choose from that I don't know which one I should get. I've gotten recommendations on here before, but it really just comes down to what I like. But I'm going to look over my old posts and make a list of these recommendations and see if I can get one or two that I like. My mentor told me of the two that she uses but I can't remember what they are right now. I'm going to ask her if I can look over them and see if the kind she has may be what I want to buy.

The benefit that I've gotten form it has been from long-term exposure. I've been doing it since August (not that that's exactly super "long-term") and since that time I've been able to recall various points from different Psalms that I wouldn't have been able to recall had I not been doing that exercise. And it is my plan to keep doing this month after month, year after year, until the Psalms and Proverbs become a natural part of my thinking.

In addition to that, I'll have one Psalm that I meditate on for a week or so (or perhaps longer if needed). That way I become more intimately familiar with and get a lot out of one particular Psalm, while I grow more generally familiar with all of them as a whole.

thepenitent
Jan 1st 2009, 03:34 AM

Today I just finished a "read the Bible in a year" schedule. I'm very glad I did it and I intend to start all over again tomorrow. You can find a "read the Bible in a year" schedule on the net with a google search and there might even be one in your study Bible.

It takes perserverence. It's only about 20 minutes of reading a day but you've got to stick with reading every day or one gets behind and then gives up. My experience is about the book of Leveticus most fall off. But it's good to get a fly over look at the forest before you begin studying the trees.

AliveinChristDave
Jan 1st 2009, 04:43 AM
Good idea to ask a friend. You can also go to the library and using a section or piece of scripture you like, or John 1, use what they have on the shelves to compare the different versions. They usually carry the most popular ones, and you wouldn't need to check them out.

Just a note: Bible Gateway lets you compare many different Bible Versions on line. No need to go to the library unless you like hard copies.
BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions and 50 languages. (http://www.biblegateway.com/)

creedfan
Jan 1st 2009, 06:21 AM
I printed out a plan that has you read the Bible in chronological order as it happens. There are a few things that bring a new spin on things by doing it that way, one example is Psalms 23, you also read where David is hiding from King Saul and his army wanting to kill him.

I didn't get it done in a year, and I'm still working on it. So if you miss a day, don't get discouraged, don't feel like you have to catch up, just keep with it.

*Living~By~Faith*
Jan 1st 2009, 07:10 PM
I have decided that I'm going to begin this month and year off by studying the proverbs and five psalms a day so that I can read them all within a month. I'll write down highlights from them as I go. I'll also post a thread about that particular proverb or psalm and would like others to share what they got out of it as well. So we can draw from one another.

I may decide to start studying a shorter book in the bible, like Ephesians, within the next few days though. I also found an amazing website yesterday while looking through some of the suggestions that people have given me in the past on here. I'm going to be using that website regularly as well as biblegateway and e-sword.

I'm also going to begin a couple of bible studies that I've started several times in the past but never finished. I feel very different about things now and I believe I'll finish them this time. They are both 28 days long, so I'll do one a day and take the month to finish them. I think this is the best way for me to get into bible studying since I've struggled getting into a routine and habit in the past. I might make a thread about those bible studies and anyone that wants to join in can, but I'm not completely sure if I'll do that.

I'm going to try deciding which study bible that I would like to have and buy one or two of them soon and will hopefully have them by next month. I feel that'll help me when I get ready to study other the books in the bible.

carissadawn
Jan 1st 2009, 07:37 PM
I have decided that I'm going to begin this month and year off by studying the proverbs and five psalms a day so that I can read them all within a month. I'll write down highlights from them as I go. I'll also post a thread about that particular proverb or psalm and would like others to share what they got out of it as well. So we can draw from one another.

I may decide to start studying a shorter book in the bible, like Ephesians, within the next few days though. I also found an amazing website yesterday while looking through some of the suggestions that people have given me in the past on here. I'm going to be using that website regularly as well as biblegateway and e-sword.

I'm also going to begin a couple of bible studies that I've started several times in the past but never finished. I feel very different about things now and I believe I'll finish them this time. They are both 28 days long, so I'll do one a day and take the month to finish them. I think this is the best way for me to get into bible studying since I've struggled getting into a routine and habit in the past. I might make a thread about those bible studies and anyone that wants to join in can, but I'm not completely sure if I'll do that.

I'm going to try decided which study bible that I would like to have and buy one or two of them soon and will hopefully have them by next month. I feel that'll help me when I get ready to study other the books in the bible.

I really like the Psalm/Proverbs thing. My pastor always says that he reads one chapter in proverbs a day, there are 31 proverbs so it takes about a month to read, and then he starts over. He recommends it to all of us because it is just good, useful stuff. :) I just started reading Proverbs mself recently and I think I may follow his suggestion. Right now I am going through it and writing down all of the Proverbs that I feel pertain to things I really struggle with (i.e. keeping control of my tongue...:blush:). I have found it really helpful to try and meditate on those ones and try to memorize them, "hide them in my heart" so to speak so that I can pull them out of memory when struggling with certain character defects.

Whispering Grace
Jan 1st 2009, 07:42 PM
I tend to read the Bible from cover to cover, and I did that this last year. I actually read the last 3 chapters of Revelation yesterday.

However, I am looking to try something different because I felt like I spent all of the year in the Old Testament and a very short time in the New Testament. Perhaps I will increase my daily reading and read through the OT once and then the NT twice in the year.

carissadawn
Jan 1st 2009, 07:44 PM
I printed out a plan that has you read the Bible in chronological order as it happens. There are a few things that bring a new spin on things by doing it that way, one example is Psalms 23, you also read where David is hiding from King Saul and his army wanting to kill him.

I didn't get it done in a year, and I'm still working on it. So if you miss a day, don't get discouraged, don't feel like you have to catch up, just keep with it.

Hey creedfan, may I ask where you found that? It sounds really interesting.

shawn_2828
Feb 10th 2009, 02:49 AM

I did this program called reading the bible in 90 days. You can type reading the bible in 90 days on google and it will give you a schedule to follow by everyday. You will learn alot, I did, and I am now going back through.