PDA

View Full Version : Witnessing question

reformedct
Jan 1st 2009, 06:01 PM
hey guys what do you do if you are witnessing and someone says something like:

The Bible is just another man made book like the Koran it has some truth but has been written by man and is not THE only word of God.

How can you get someone to believe that the Bible is the one true Word of God?

or must we just allow the Spirit to open their eyes?? im afraid someone will ask me, why do you believe the Bible, and all i will have is my "personal inner experience". Gahndi had personal inner experiences as well, so what do you guys think? What kind of evidence can we give to unbelievers about the Truth and Reliability of The Bible?

quiet dove
Jan 1st 2009, 08:26 PM
A good book, actually a reference book that is interesting to read.:pp

"Evidence that Demands a Verdict II" by Josh McDowell.

There is a "one" and it is on line for free, but I lost the link when I lost my old computer. If I can google it I'll stick the link in.

But the "two" is well worth reading. And of course there are those who even want to attack this book so what it comes down to is this:
We are commissioned to speak the Gospel, the Holy Spirit is in charge of the conviction. I know it is frustrating to be shrugged off, but that is part of our suffering for Christ, people think you believe in fables and are a moron. Do as God commands, walk in Spirit, do as God ask, and let Him worry. YOU, cannot MAKE, anyone believe. But you can be obedient, be a good witness, and both of those mean walking in the Spirit, and remember, love is the greatest gift, and in love, all the other gifts are valuable.

mikebr
Jan 2nd 2009, 12:10 AM

The Bible is just another man made book like the Koran it has some truth but has been written by man and is not THE only word of God.

or must we just allow the Spirit to open their eyes?? im afraid someone will ask me, why do you believe the Bible, and all i will have is my "personal inner experience". Gahndi had personal inner experiences as well, so what do you guys think? What kind of evidence can we give to unbelievers about the Truth and Reliability of The Bible?

Love 'em till they ask you why?

crossnote
Jan 2nd 2009, 06:29 AM
In general it is a moral problem camoflauged with intellectual challenges.

And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. (Luk 16:31)

Also don't get hung up if they are predestined or not, that is God's territory, we are to sow seeds and water...God gives the increase.

th1bill
Jan 2nd 2009, 06:57 AM
... As an atheist I used to make Christians crawfish all the time in this area. As a Christian I fully understand my need to never back away and I try not to intentionally put myself into a difficult position and yet they do still come. What I have found to be the most effective is to study the scriptures daily and to believe that God meant it when He promised to give us the words to speak if we would be faithful to study and to pray. I can honestly say that He has not failed me once in these past 19 years, as of Jan 1, this year.
... I have been lead by the Spirit of God to purchase two books that have been very helpful to me over these past years. The first was Norman Giesler's Magnum Opus, the Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics and the most useful isthe paperback version of Where tTo Find It In The Bible.
... When a lost man that is searching is searching asks such a question about the reliability of the scriptures the single volume Encyclopedia is the most useful. All I do is give him or her a copy of the extra-Biblical evidence on Jesus and the question of reliability never comes up again once they see just how much evidence there is.

shepherdsword
Jan 2nd 2009, 07:10 AM
A good book, actually a reference book that is interesting to read.:pp

"Evidence that Demands a Verdict II" by Josh McDowell.

There is a "one" and it is on line for free, but I lost the link when I lost my old computer. If I can google it I'll stick the link in.

But the "two" is well worth reading. And of course there are those who even want to attack this book so what it comes down to is this:
We are commissioned to speak the Gospel, the Holy Spirit is in charge of the conviction. I know it is frustrating to be shrugged off, but that is part of our suffering for Christ, people think you believe in fables and are a moron. Do as God commands, walk in Spirit, do as God ask, and let Him worry. YOU, cannot MAKE, anyone believe. But you can be obedient, be a good witness, and both of those mean walking in the Spirit, and remember, love is the greatest gift, and in love, all the other gifts are valuable.

Here it is:
http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/myredeemer/Evidence.html

quiet dove
Jan 2nd 2009, 09:27 PM
... As an atheist I used to make Christians crawfish all the time in this area. As a Christian I fully understand my need to never back away and I try not to intentionally put myself into a difficult position and yet they do still come. What I have found to be the most effective is to study the scriptures daily and to believe that God meant it when He promised to give us the words to speak if we would be faithful to study and to pray.

I agree, it is He who does the leading, convicting, saving and yep, the talking.

... I have been lead by the Spirit of God to purchase two books that have been very helpful to me over these past years. The first was Norman Giesler's Magnum Opus, the Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics and the most useful isthe paperback version of Where tTo Find It In The Bible.
... When a lost man that is searching is searching asks such a question about the reliability of the scriptures the single volume Encyclopedia is the most useful. All I do is give him or her a copy of the extra-Biblical evidence on Jesus and the question of reliability never comes up again once they see just how much evidence there is.

Now I want to get these books. Maybe God will see it the same way and make that happen.:pray:

CoffeeCat
Jan 2nd 2009, 09:42 PM

Hiya!

I start off like this. I ask people what they understand the term "the Word of God" means to them, and we go from there. I might ask them a question like "in your understanding of God, would God deliberately lie to someone or confuse them?"

So much of the Bible contradicts the books of other religions. It honestly doesn't hurt us to know a bit about them -- at least their central tenets, and who they see Jesus to be, if they mention Him at all. God is never the author of confusion, and that's what I show people when they say that the Bible is not the only word of God. The Bible has some claims that are mutually exclusive -- it tells us Jesus is the ONLY way to God, for instance. The Koran, on the other hand, calls Him a prophet. Would God ever be involved in inspiring men to write both equally opposing ideas. No, never.

Once I've talked to someone about the claims the books make, then if they'd like to keep talking, I like to take a look at the historical evidence for Christ that we have, as well as the historical information in the Bible itself. And then we go from there.

Everyone is very different, but OFTEN, when someone honestly believes that other religions and their various books/doctrines must be God-inspired too, it's usually a moral problem they have with the possibility that their friends, loved ones and possibly they themselves could be mistaken and actually following a faith that does not worship God. And even the chance of that is very, very hard to think about if you love the people who follow these faiths. It's always best to take everyone as an individual, and see where their heart is, and why they assume what they do. :) We need to take the time, in love, to know them.