PDA

View Full Version : Nastrodamus

reformedct
Jan 2nd 2009, 04:10 PM
is this guys prophecies legit? i am in no way encouraging false prophets the Bible is the one true source of all prophecy. However ive been hearing that this guy hasnt missed a prophecy in a long long time. Do you think there is some kind of spiritual activity going on with these prophecies? maybe unclean spirits revealing the near future???

Emanate
Jan 2nd 2009, 04:14 PM
is this guys prophecies legit? i am in no way encouraging false prophets the Bible is the one true source of all prophecy. However ive been hearing that this guy hasnt missed a prophecy in a long long time. Do you think there is some kind of spiritual activity going on with these prophecies? maybe unclean spirits revealing the near future???

I saw a paper on Nostrodamus a while back that stated that he wrote things in such a veiled language (broadly) that it is easy to take any current event and apply it to what he said.

The Parson
Jan 2nd 2009, 04:29 PM
Sending this one to ETC folks.

th1bill
Jan 2nd 2009, 06:52 PM
... He has, in no form, come close to 100%, no not even 80%. The scriptures are dead on without so much as 1 error. To find ourselves concerned with a false prophet is to loose sight of our Master, if only for a short time. If Satan can divert you for any amount of time you are that much less effective.

markedward
Jan 2nd 2009, 07:36 PM
is this guys prophecies legit? i am in no way encouraging false prophets the Bible is the one true source of all prophecy. However ive been hearing that this guy hasnt missed a prophecy in a long long time. Do you think there is some kind of spiritual activity going on with these prophecies? maybe unclean spirits revealing the near future???Nostradamus is not a prophet.

None of his "prophecies" were given to him by God or sent to him by an angel from God (the only source of prophecy).

If any of his "prophecies" ever came true, it was only because he made a good guess. But whoever told you that Nostradamus "hasn't missed a prophecy in a long, long time" is not telling you the truth. For one, Nostradamus wrote all of his "prophecies" as incredibly short, vague sayings. They can be distorted and twisted to fit virtually any event. Second, Nostradamus never prophesied about Napoleon, or Hitler, or World War II, or the Cold War, or the JFK assassination, or Osama bin Laden, or the World Trade Centers, or anything else. Third, even if some of Nostradamus' "prophecies" came true, he is required for all of them to come true to be a true prophet. If a single one of his prophecies does not come true, then he is a false prophet, as defined by the Bible.

Romber
Jan 2nd 2009, 08:01 PM
Yes, one of the major complaints about Nostradamus was his theories were so incredibly vague they could be made to fit any event that has happened. I believe if one went in with an open mind and read his prophecies and were told to find events corresponding in history to the prophecies, they would find different historical events that would fit but are different from what todays agreed on events the prophecies are talking about.

dan
Jan 20th 2009, 10:39 AM

...That his prophecies have, in the past, come true. But, he admits to allowing a spirit to possess him, so I'm not sure.

Also, if you ignore other people's interpretations and just read, it appears that Rome will be the first target of the second beast's minions. Let's watch.

tango
Jan 20th 2009, 01:03 PM

A lot of Nostradamus prophecies can be said to have "come true" if you allow a fair bit of "wiggle room". But as soon as you introduce that "wiggle room" you allow anyone to claim their own "prophecies" have been fulfilled.

For example I could see an economic crisis coming back in 2004, when most people I spoke to thought I was talking nonsense and had completely lost the plot. That wasn't prophecy, it was economic foresight - I could see that something was going to break sooner or later but didn't see exactly what would trigger it, exactly what form things would take, exactly when things would turn, and so on. Had it been a divine prophecy a lot more of those details would have been known.

I don't dispute for a moment that evil spirits can offer visions of the future - after all without any accuracy whatsoever people wouldn't bother going to fortune tellers. Occultic divination gets it right some of the time, but typically not all of the time. Divine prophecy gets it right 100% of the time - if a prophecy does not come true it isn't of God.

Joe King
Jan 20th 2009, 01:39 PM
I admit that I was intrigued by Nostradamus. At that time I did not know that the Bible contained prophecy!!! I also did not know that Christ was returning. What a glorious day it was when I found out that Jesus is coming back and soon!!

I haven't read anything that Nostradamus had "predicted" that has come with specificity.

HisLeast
Jan 20th 2009, 01:51 PM
ON PREDICTION
If his "predictions" are so legit, how come they never PREdict? It always seems to me that people's experiences are fit over the the Nostradamus texts AFTER the event. That sounds like postdiction to me, and even worse, prodiction by proxy.

ON ACCURACY
"hasnt missed a prophecy in a long long time"
This is what you'll hear from anyone who believes they've found a prophet. The first challenge you should issue is "which ones did he hit" and see if they can come up with specific answers. The second challenge is "what was the prediction" to see if they actually know what was said and aren't just parroting urban legend.

Nostradamus is a special case since he's long since dead. But there are many modern "prophets" claiming to have predicted all sorts of stuff. What I've always found interesting is that there's never any evidence that they actually made the prediction. Case in point: Tom Deckard - the man who's follows claim predicted 9/11, both Iraq wars, and the Indonesian tsunami.

Joe King
Jan 20th 2009, 01:55 PM
ON PREDICTION
If his "predictions" are so legit, how come they never PREdict? It always seems to me that people's experiences are fit over the the Nostradamus texts AFTER the event. That sounds like postdiction to me, and even worse, prodiction by proxy.

ON ACCURACY
"hasnt missed a prophecy in a long long time"
This is what you'll hear from anyone who believes they've found a prophet. The first challenge you should issue is "which ones did he hit" and see if they can come up with specific answers. The second challenge is "what was the prediction" to see if they actually know what was said and aren't just parroting urban legend.

Nostradamus is a special case since he's long since dead. But there are many modern "prophets" claiming to have predicted all sorts of stuff. What I've always found interesting is that there's never any evidence that they actually made the prediction. Case in point: Tom Deckard - the man who's follows claim predicted 9/11, both Iraq wars, and the Indonesian tsunami.

You can give them the "Back to the Future" test as well. See how much money they have made from sports gambling.:D

quiet dove
Jan 20th 2009, 07:54 PM
I admit that I was intrigued by Nostradamus. At that time I did not know that the Bible contained prophecy!!! I also did not know that Christ was returning. What a glorious day it was when I found out that Jesus is coming back and soon!!

I haven't read anything that Nostradamus had "predicted" that has come with specificity.

Amen to that!!!!:pp:pp:pp