PDA

View Full Version : Is it good to be eternally tormented?

Old Earther
Jan 2nd 2009, 11:18 PM
Disclaimer:

This post is not intended to question the doctrine of eternal torment.

I recently had a discussion with a brother in Christ about the doctrine of eternal torment. The reason I am starting this thread is to share with you something he said to me, and to get your opinions on it. What he said is that eternal torment is in the best interest of those eternally tormented. Does this make sense? What do you think?

Athanasius
Jan 2nd 2009, 11:25 PM
Before I answer, how were you two defining torment (from without, within, both)?

dljc
Jan 2nd 2009, 11:28 PM
Hi OE,

Did he give any scripture references in how he came to this conclusion?

The reason I ask that question is, 1 Corinthians 5 talks about spiritual pride, and how you are to deal with this member of the local church. With verse 5 stating:

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

But once they have past on from this life, that verse really doesn't apply anymore. But the purpose of this disciplinary action is to allow God to deal with this person's heart....before it's too late!

Maybe you can ask him and we can see how he came to that. But I can't recall scripture that points to a release from the torment.

moonglow
Jan 2nd 2009, 11:47 PM
What he said is that eternal torment is in the best interest of those eternally tormented. Does this make sense? What do you think?

Ummmmmmmmm

I am dumbfounded by this statement...

monergist
Jan 3rd 2009, 04:36 AM
I'd be very interested to hear your friend's reasoning. Off the top of my head, I can think of no reason to agree with what he's saying. The "wrath of God" isn't an act of love on God's part. It is an expression of His righteous anger that is justified by the extent of our sin.

Old Earther
Jan 3rd 2009, 04:45 PM
Xel Nagga,

I'm not sure I understand your question, or its relevance. Could you rephrase?

Old Earther
Jan 3rd 2009, 04:50 PM
Monergist,

I'm not sure where he is coming from on this.

Perhaps the following exchange between he and I might help you to understand:

...how is it in a person's best interest to be tormented forever?

Because it is God's will.
I don't have to be able to understand God's will (nor can I) to accept it is God's will that some will be tormented forever.

Isaiah 29:16 "Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?"

Romans 9:20 "O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?"

Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons? Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth?"

Those who reject and deny His son, have there place...and it isn't a fun and happy place; according to the scriptures. Pretty simple stuff. God is sovereign over His creation; to do what He deems as just and appropriate.

It is God's will. That is sufficient.

monergist
Jan 3rd 2009, 09:32 PM
OldEarther,

I don't think your friend is saying it's in people's best interest to be tormented forever. I think he's saying that there is a purpose in their suffering (God is glorified), and that God's will is that sin be punished.

Incidentally, your friend writes a lot like a good friend of mine. He's not from East Lansing, MI, is he?

God bless.

Athanasius
Jan 4th 2009, 01:09 AM
Closing pending moderator review.