PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Evil Spirits

Yukerboy
Jan 3rd 2009, 02:09 AM
Explain the following verses.

"When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation."

appletonbill
Jan 3rd 2009, 02:27 AM

"When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation."

Jesus was describing the attitude of the nation of Israel and the religious leaders in particular. They may have cleansed themselve's of idolatry, but failed to fill that space up with a love of God. The empty space provided lot's of room for Satan to enter in.

Yukerboy
Jan 3rd 2009, 02:34 AM
Jesus was describing the attitude of the nation of Israel and the religious leaders in particular. They may have cleansed themselve's of idolatry, but failed to fill that space up with a love of God. The empty space provided lot's of room for Satan to enter in.

Sounds right. For the life of me, I kept reading this passage while working on another post and could not understand it.

Thank you.

paidforinfull
Jan 3rd 2009, 02:35 AM

Yukerboy, it means that if someone is possessed and they are delivered from the evil spirit which possesses them, the spirit will return with seven others more evil (and stronger) than itself.

(Note: This verse can be applied to non-Christians, since Christians are not 'empty', but indwelt by the Holy Spirit.)

God bless.

Yukerboy
Jan 3rd 2009, 02:38 AM
That makes sense too, and is not much different from the first reply if you think it through.

Thanks again.

amazzin
Jan 3rd 2009, 02:45 AM

Friend, where do you see Israel and the religious leaders in that verse, especially when you read it in context of the entire chapter???

appletonbill
Jan 3rd 2009, 02:53 AM
Yukerboy, it means that if someone is possessed and they are delivered from the evil spirit which possesses them, the spirit will return with seven others more evil (and stronger) than itself.

(Note: This verse can be applied to non-Christians, since Christians are not 'empty', but indwelt by the Holy Spirit.)

God bless.

In Matthew 12:43-45 Jesus was speaking directly to the Pharisees. He was actually rebuking them, for wanting miraculous signs to prove that He was from God.

paidforinfull
Jan 3rd 2009, 02:55 AM
In Matthew 12:43-45 Jesus was speaking directly to the Pharisees. He was actually rebuking them, for wanting miraculous signs to prove that He was from God.

And your point is?

appletonbill
Jan 3rd 2009, 03:00 AM
Friend, where do you see Israel and the religious leaders in that verse, especially when you read it in context of the entire chapter???

Jesus was speaking to a crowd of Pharisees. He was rebuking them for their lack of understanding of who He was.

appletonbill
Jan 3rd 2009, 03:02 AM
And your point is?

Maybe you should find a good commentary.

Yukerboy
Jan 3rd 2009, 03:04 AM
I find both views are pretty well in line with each other.

One has a group who has cleansed himself from unrighteousness (though not really as the group remained without love of God) and yet, because they lacked love for God (unfilled area), the unrighteousness returned, even stronger than before.

The other has someone (Christ?) cleaning out the person, setting everything in order, cleansed of unrighteousness, yet because they lacked love for God, the unrighteousness returned, stronger than before.

paidforinfull
Jan 3rd 2009, 03:05 AM
Maybe you should find a good commentary.

Hmmmmm - is your point that I interpreted the referenced Scripture incorrectly?

appletonbill
Jan 3rd 2009, 03:10 AM
Hmmmmm - is your point that I interpreted the referenced Scripture incorrectly?

I think I stated my point clearly. I suggested something that may help to study the Bible. No offense intended.

paidforinfull
Jan 3rd 2009, 03:25 AM
I think I stated my point clearly. I suggested something that may help to study the Bible. No offense intended.

Actually, I have several excellent commentaries at my disposal, and I am quoting from the Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary to back up my earlier statement:

Quote: Matthew 12:38-45 ... This parable represents the case of the Jewish church and nation. It is also applicable to all those who hear the word of God, and are in part reformed, but not truly converted. The unclean spirit leaves for a time, but when he returns, he finds Christ is not there to shut him out; the heart is swept by outward reformation, but garnished by preparation to comply with evil suggestions, and the man becomes a more decided enemy of the truth. Every heart is the residence of unclean spirits, except those which are temples of the Holy Ghost, by faith in Christ. Unquote

appletonbill
Jan 3rd 2009, 03:37 AM
Nuff said. Have a nice day.:)

amazzin
Jan 3rd 2009, 04:24 AM
Nuff said. Have a nice day.:)

Hmmm,....seems to me you're not willing to acxcewpt when you're wrong

Yukerboy
Jan 3rd 2009, 04:28 AM
Looks like the commentary is confirming BOTH points of view. Nothing wrong with two points of view being correct.

paidforinfull
Jan 3rd 2009, 04:57 AM
Looks like the commentary is confirming BOTH points of view. Nothing wrong with two points of view being correct.

The teachings of Jesus are as applicable to us today as they were to Jesus's contemporaries, since He taught eternal truths.

When the parable of 'The Sign of Jonah' is applied to us today, it means what I wrote in my previous posts to this thread.

What I fail to understand is why appletonbill would say that the interpretation I gave is incorrect. :confused

Anyway, I trust you got the answer you were looking for :).

God bless.

appletonbill
Jan 3rd 2009, 05:29 PM
Hmmm,....seems to me you're not willing to acxcewpt when you're wrong

That's Ok, because I don't believe I am wrong.:wave: