PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Biblical Information Please

GitRDunn
Jan 3rd 2009, 04:30 AM
I am curious about something concerning the Bible and its writing. In regards to the New Testament and especially the Gospels, are there records of when, where, etc. they were written? I know the Gospel of John was actually written by John and the Gospel of Mark was written by Mark as an account of Peter's experiences, but was Matthew written by the actual Matthew the disciple (this is what I've always believed but I'm not sure)? Also, do we know who the author of Luke was? Thanks for any help!

TrustingFollower
Jan 3rd 2009, 04:43 AM
Luke was written by the physician Luke to his friend Theophilus. He wrote it to give him the accurate account of the happenings of the works of Jesus and the gospel message. Luke also wrote the book of Acts for the same reason.

GitRDunn
Jan 3rd 2009, 05:07 AM
Luke was written by the physician Luke to his friend Theophilus. He wrote it to give him the accurate account of the happenings of the works of Jesus and the gospel message. Luke also wrote the book of Acts for the same reason.
Ok, but Luke wasn't a disciple of Jesus was he? I didn't think he was and if not, is his like the Gospel of Mark? Is it the account of a specific disciple? Or is it an account from information he gleaned form multiple disciples?

Butch5
Jan 3rd 2009, 05:18 AM
I am curious about something concerning the Bible and its writing. In regards to the New Testament and especially the Gospels, are there records of when, where, etc. they were written? I know the Gospel of John was actually written by John and the Gospel of Mark was written by Mark as an account of Peter's experiences, but was Matthew written by the actual Matthew the disciple (this is what I've always believed but I'm not sure)? Also, do we know who the author of Luke was? Thanks for any help!

According to the early church, Matthew the apostle, wrote the gospel that bears his name, likewise the gospels of Luke and Mark.

Hippolytus,

The Early Church Fathers: Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 5

7. And Matthew wrote the Gospel in the Hebrew tongue, and published it at Jerusalem, and fell asleep at Hierees, a town of Parthia.

Tertullian,
The Early Church Fathers: Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 3

With regard, then, to the pending question, of Luke’s Gospel (so far as its being the common propertyof ourselves and Marcion enables it to be decisive of the truth,

Here Tertullian attributes the gospel to Luke.

This is from the writings of Papias,

The Early Church Fathers: Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 1

For information on these points, we can merely refer our readers to the books themselves; but now, to the extracts already made, we shall add, as being a matter of primary importance, a tradition regarding Mark who wrote the Gospel, which he [Papias] has given in the following words]: And the presbyter said this. Mark having become the interpreter of Peter, wrote down accurately whatsoever he remembered. It was not, however, in exact order that he related the sayings or deeds of Christ. For he neither heard the Lord nor accompanied Him. But afterwards, as I said, he accompanied Peter, who accommodated his instructions to the necessities [of his hearers], but with no intention of giving a regular narrative of the Lord’s sayings. Wherefore Mark made no mistake in thus writing some things as he remembered them. For of one thing he took especial care, not to omit anything he had heard, and not to put anything fictitious into the statements. [This is what is related by Papias regarding Mark; but with regard to Matthew he has made the following statements]: and each one interpreted them as best he could. [The same person uses proofs from the First Epistle of John, and from the Epistle of Peter in like manner. And he also gives another story of a woman who was accused of many sins before the Lord, which is to be found in the Gospel according to the Hebrews.]

Hope this helps.

crossnote
Jan 3rd 2009, 06:38 AM

When original authorship and higher criticism starts to make your head spin just remember the True Author of the Whole unified book of Scripture...The Holy Spirit.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
(2Ti 3:16)

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
(2Pe 1:21)

OldChurchGuy
Jan 3rd 2009, 07:27 AM

Faith and tradition indicate Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John authored the gospels named after them. But there is no irrefutable proof to back up these beliefs.

It is my understanding there are fragments of these writings to within a few decades of their writing, but the earliest known complete documents are a few centuries after the fact.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

markedward
Jan 3rd 2009, 07:28 AM
The Gospel of Luke, and Acts
There are a few hints that indicate Luke as the author of the gospel of Luke and the book of Acts.

1. Acts doesn't simply pick up where the gospel of Luke left off: it intentionally repeats the ending of the gospel as the beginning of the book of acts. This was traditional of Greek-styled literature that came in multiple parts. Luke, of course, was of Greek origin. Acts even starts of with the mentioning of "my [the author's] first book", which was obviously the gospel of Luke.

2. The later chapters of Acts are written in the first-person plural, indicating that the author took part in some of the events described. Since Paul (in his epistles) shows us that one of his companions was a man named Luke, he is hence a possible candidate as the author.

3. The gospel of Luke and Acts each, on occasion, use certain medical terms (not obvious in the English translations). One particular example is in the gospel; a few of the gospels record Jesus' claim that it is easier for a camel to enter the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven. Whereas the other gospels use one Greek word for "needle", the gospel of Luke uses a particular Greek word for "needle" that refers to a medical needle. Paul mentions that Luke was a physician. Taking these in tandem, Luke becomes the most likely candidate for the gospel of Luke, and as a result, also for Acts.

appletonbill
Jan 3rd 2009, 05:09 PM

Here is some interesting reading regarding biblical manuscripts:

www.debate.org.uk/topics/history/bib-qur/bibmanu.htm (http://www.debate.org.uk/topics/history/bib-qur/bibmanu.htm)

Hope that helps you.

Brother Bill

TrustingFollower
Jan 3rd 2009, 05:12 PM
Ok, but Luke wasn't a disciple of Jesus was he? I didn't think he was and if not, is his like the Gospel of Mark? Is it the account of a specific disciple? Or is it an account from information he gleaned form multiple disciples?
More than likely Luke was a disciple, but he was not an apostle. Acts 1:15 shows us there were about 120 disciples at the time the apostles were tarrying in the upper room waiting for Pentecost.

appletonbill
Jan 3rd 2009, 05:32 PM
More than likely Luke was a disciple, but he was not an apostle. Acts 1:15 shows us there were about 120 disciples at the time the apostles were tarrying in the upper room waiting for Pentecost.

Yes, anyone who is a follower of Jesus, and shares the Gospel, is considered a disciple. Amen?

GitRDunn
Jan 3rd 2009, 06:55 PM
I had been referring to the 12 disciples, but I see what you mean. He could've been a part of the following that followed Jesus most of the time but weren't part of the 12 disciples.

Thank you everyone for the help and information you've given me so far.