PDA

View Full Version : Is it a sin to try to enjoy life in the end times?

reformedct
Jan 3rd 2009, 05:08 PM
I have been greatly troubled by the seemingly imminent tribulation and such. I know God doesnt want me to fear those who kill the body, but rather Him who can cast your body in hell. Unfortunately that is easier said than done. I still feel kinda stressed. My question is is it a sin to still pursue enjoyment, such as hobbies, sports, vacations, during the last days? should we still seek to try to enjoy this life as much as we can?

BCF
Jan 3rd 2009, 05:25 PM
I have been greatly troubled by the seemingly imminent tribulation and such. I know God doesnt want me to fear those who kill the body, but rather Him who can cast your body in hell. Unfortunately that is easier said than done. I still feel kinda stressed. My question is is it a sin to still pursue enjoyment, such as hobbies, sports, vacations, during the last days? should we still seek to try to enjoy this life as much as we can?

What makes you think that you are going to be here in the end times?

But if you were....I don't see anywhere in scripture where God says that we should not enjoy sports, and vacations, or hobbies, that God has given us to enjoy in the first place. I'm mean after all.....we owe it to God that we have life to begin with. So why would He not want us to enjoy it.

God Bless,

Dave

reformedct
Jan 3rd 2009, 05:56 PM
What makes you think that you are going to be here in the end times?

But if you were....I don't see anywhere in scripture where God says that we should not enjoy sports, and vacations, or hobbies, that God has given us to enjoy in the first place. I'm mean after all.....we owe it to God that we have life to begin with. So why would He not want us to enjoy it.

God Bless,

Dave

im just aware that there is a possibility of us going thru it. I believe that no one has the 100% accurate interpretation of the end times until it happens. Also i see such a rise in apostasy and constant war and the growing hatred of Islam against Christianity and Jews. It can be very discouraging when you hear of these things. It is in these times where i feel like my going to college, or going to the gym, or going to the movies having a good time with friends, is almost innapropriate

BCF
Jan 3rd 2009, 06:03 PM
im just aware that there is a possibility of us going thru it. I believe that no one has the 100% accurate interpretation of the end times until it happens. Also i see such a rise in apostasy and constant war and the growing hatred of Islam against Christianity and Jews. It can be very discouraging when you hear of these things. It is in these times where i feel like my going to college, or going to the gym, or going to the movies having a good time with friends, is almost innapropriate

I don't see why.....like I said before. I find nothing in scripture where God says that we should not enjoy life. I believe that God gave us life so that we would enjoy it. Not stay in bondage to it.

God Bless,

Dave

wombat
Jan 3rd 2009, 06:33 PM
Hi, Reformedct! I would say there are two answers to this question. The first is that, in my opinion, God gives each of us gifts of abilities, special talents, and interests for a reason. He uses our abilities and talents and interests in many wonderful ways, and in our developing these things He gives us much joy. So I always encourage believers to not stop doing what you feel God has given you to do. Who knows how He might use the knowledge you gain through your hobbies or the physical abilities you've gained through your sports, etc., during the last days?

The second part of my answer is that during the last days, we must be prepared to lose our means of doing many of the things we enjoy today. For example, if we do indeed have to go through part or all of the 7-year tribulation, we believers in Jesus will refuse to take the mark of the beast and thereby lose our ability to buy or sell. This will have a huge effect on our lives. Travel will likely be exceedingly limited, as we will not be paying for airplane flights or even bus trips downtown. And you can imagine how it will affect all of us with hobbies we spend on or events we attend, etc. Life will be about survival and our witness for Christ. We will lose our homes and our jobs. But we will be losing these things in honor of our Lord--giving them up as a gift to Him, making sacrifices in the knowledge that He has promised something so much better than anything we can imagine if we stay the course of the race He's laid out before us.

Don't be troubled, Reformedct! Live your life how God is leading you. Enjoy your talents and hobbies and the gifts He has given you. The most important thing is to use these things for His glory, then nothing you do will ever be in vain. And remember, God opens up opportunities for all of us. If you are ever asked to give up something for Him, I know He will provide you with a mission that you can be passionate about and put your heart into. And then when His Millennial Kingdom begins and eternity is stretching out before us, we will be given so much more than we could have ever lost in this lifetime. Don't forget that our trials will be only for a moment compared with the exquisite eternity we'll have later!

third hero
Jan 3rd 2009, 06:44 PM
Hi, Reformedct! I would say there are two answers to this question. The first is that, in my opinion, God gives each of us gifts of abilities, special talents, and interests for a reason. He uses our abilities and talents and interests in many wonderful ways, and in our developing these things He gives us much joy. So I always encourage believers to not stop doing what you feel God has given you to do. Who knows how He might use the knowledge you gain through your hobbies or the physical abilities you've gained through your sports, etc., during the last days?

The second part of my answer is that during the last days, we must be prepared to lose our means of doing many of the things we enjoy today. For example, if we do indeed have to go through part or all of the 7-year tribulation, we believers in Jesus will refuse to take the mark of the beast and thereby lose our ability to buy or sell. This will have a huge effect on our lives. Travel will likely be exceedingly limited, as we will not be paying for airplane flights or even bus trips downtown. And you can imagine how it will affect all of us with hobbies we spend on or events we attend, etc. Life will be about survival and our witness for Christ. We will lose our homes and our jobs. But we will be losing these things in honor of our Lord--giving them up as a gift to Him, making sacrifices in the knowledge that He has promised something so much better than anything we can imagine if we stay the course of the race He's laid out before us.

Don't be troubled, Reformedct! Live your life how God is leading you. Enjoy your talents and hobbies and the gifts He has given you. The most important thing is to use these things for His glory, then nothing you do will ever be in vain. And remember, God opens up opportunities for all of us. If you are ever asked to give up something for Him, I know He will provide you with a mission that you can be passionate about and put your heart into. And then when His Millennial Kingdom begins and eternity is stretching out before us, we will be given so much more than we could have ever lost in this lifetime. Don't forget that our trials will be only for a moment compared with the exquisite eternity we'll have later!

How can I top that? :agree::thumbsup:

wombat
Jan 3rd 2009, 07:00 PM
Yes, things can be very discouraging. My heart breaks sometimes when I hear the morning news or see the events going on in my own street where I live. A couple or three years ago I asked God to give me a mission I could be passionate about for Him, because I could see that the world was heading rapidly into what I believe will be the last days. I sort of felt like the things I was spending my time with were a waste of time--playing the piano, all my college years that amounted to what I thought was nothing, and yet I knew that God had a reason for all that I had learned and all that I had come to enjoy in talents and studies. I asked for something I could use my talents and knowledge in, something that I would never be bored with, something that I could continue to grow with. He's provided two particular missions for me after I asked Him. They are very precious to me.

Don't be afraid to ask the Lord for special assignments! Perhaps you will find as I have that He is quick to respond to your request in His honor. And do not be afraid to continue with college if that is what you feel He is encouraging you to do. Whatever you are being trained to do, He can use you in so many ways. Perhaps there will be some things He will ask you to give up today or in the near future--but if He does, He will speak to you about that. Pray much, read His Word much, and listen to His voice. Don't be afraid to ask Him questions, because He will love you for that and will answer you.

Alyssa S
Jan 3rd 2009, 09:00 PM
Yes, things can be very discouraging. My heart breaks sometimes when I hear the morning news or see the events going on in my own street where I live. A couple or three years ago I asked God to give me a mission I could be passionate about for Him, because I could see that the world was heading rapidly into what I believe will be the last days. I sort of felt like the things I was spending my time with were a waste of time--playing the piano, all my college years that amounted to what I thought was nothing, and yet I knew that God had a reason for all that I had learned and all that I had come to enjoy in talents and studies. I asked for something I could use my talents and knowledge in, something that I would never be bored with, something that I could continue to grow with. He's provided two particular missions for me after I asked Him. They are very precious to me.

Don't be afraid to ask the Lord for special assignments! Perhaps you will find as I have that He is quick to respond to your request in His honor. And do not be afraid to continue with college if that is what you feel He is encouraging you to do. Whatever you are being trained to do, He can use you in so many ways. Perhaps there will be some things He will ask you to give up today or in the near future--but if He does, He will speak to you about that. Pray much, read His Word much, and listen to His voice. Don't be afraid to ask Him questions, because He will love you for that and will answer you.

Well said!!! Both of your posts! :)

Thank you (from me also) for the encouragement!

Amen!
~Alyssa

quiet dove
Jan 3rd 2009, 09:45 PM

I think, and also probably easier said than done, but seek His will in all things. That may mean not enjoying the "fun" things like vacations or whatever. but as Paul said, count this life as nothing looking on to the next.

The joy and peace to be found by obedience to the Spirit is far more than any vacation we may plan.

revrobor
Jan 4th 2009, 02:05 AM
God says 365 times in the Bible "...fear not...". Take Him at His word. Continue to live your life and share His love with others as He gives you the opportunity. That's what we are called to do.

Psalms Fan
Jan 4th 2009, 02:10 AM
Every generation has thought that they were the last one. You know what they all have in common? They were all wrong.

Live as if at any moment either Christ will return or you will die. Everything else is just icing on the cake, my friend.

JesusMySavior
Jan 4th 2009, 02:51 AM
My question is is it a sin to still pursue enjoyment, such as hobbies, sports, vacations, during the last days? should we still seek to try to enjoy this life as much as we can?

Not to pick apart your words, but there is one word that stuck out to me in your post :

pursue.

we are never to chase after (pursue) pleasure or wealth. that indicates that we are making our god whatever we are pursuing. We must seek first the Kingdom. And I'm sure you've heard all of that before, but I just had to clarify.

And I believe if we are not raptured before the tribulation, I know God wants us to have the best darn time we can, and though it may be hard, I believe that the true Christians will have an absolute blast in fellowship (not with worldly things, but the bond of the Spirit of Christ giving us peace and unity) since pressure binds the brethren together. I know some have suffered immensely for Christ and counted it as a complete honor to even be worthy to suffer for His Name.

So a time is coming where we will enjoy our lives, but it may not be in the way we expect it. :)

reformedct
Jan 4th 2009, 04:52 AM
Not to pick apart your words, but there is one word that stuck out to me in your post :

pursue.

we are never to chase after (pursue) pleasure or wealth. that indicates that we are making our god whatever we are pursuing. We must seek first the Kingdom. And I'm sure you've heard all of that before, but I just had to clarify.

And I believe if we are not raptured before the tribulation, I know God wants us to have the best darn time we can, and though it may be hard, I believe that the true Christians will have an absolute blast in fellowship (not with worldly things, but the bond of the Spirit of Christ giving us peace and unity) since pressure binds the brethren together. I know some have suffered immensely for Christ and counted it as a complete honor to even be worthy to suffer for His Name.

So a time is coming where we will enjoy our lives, but it may not be in the way we expect it. :)

thank you. yes, i did not mean pursue as in making these things idols from which we drink for satisfaction lol. I mean simple things like joking around, having a good time. It just would seem like the wrong thing to do. But i guess i need to go back to square one as the Bible says: FEAR NOT! lol gotta work on that one

thanks for all the encouragement and direction

JesusMySavior
Jan 5th 2009, 06:32 AM
thank you. yes, i did not mean pursue as in making these things idols from which we drink for satisfaction lol. I mean simple things like joking around, having a good time. It just would seem like the wrong thing to do. But i guess i need to go back to square one as the Bible says: FEAR NOT! lol gotta work on that one

thanks for all the encouragement and direction

laughter is some of the best medicine out there. We will have the joy of the Lord so yes we will joke in a very high-plained manner... not as the world does in its lust and corruption, but tuned with the blessed hope of our Lord Jesus coming to reign and set it all straight! Amen!

nascarbob4824
Jan 7th 2009, 09:42 PM
you should enjoy life, for me i take my kids on daytrips, go to diners, i am a photogrpher, i take my son to nascar races.if you enjoy things that god gives you,(that is not sinfull)it is good.

Joe King
Jan 14th 2009, 05:22 AM
I enjoy my life every day and marvel at the blessings I undeservedly receive. We are to enjoy life simply because we are redeemed. We do have a responsibility to turn away from sin and equally important, spread the word of God and the message of salvation. The Holy Spirit will tell guide you in what to enjoy and what to sacrifice, so pray constantly. I have to practice what I just preached myself.

Bing
Jan 22nd 2009, 06:48 AM
Every generation has thought that they were the last one. You know what they all have in common? They were all wrong.
Is that one of those "everybody knows" facts, or do you have a source for that?