PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Bible contradictions....

Rocking horse
Jan 4th 2009, 07:18 AM
Today I "googled" the words.....Bible contradictions....I was amazed at all the things I found....many, many quoted Bible contradictions. So I would like to put to you just two that are an example of what I found and would like to know your answers to them please.

Judas death.....Matthew 27.5 says he hanged himself.
Acts 1.18 say he fell and his bowels gushed out...

Regarding Jesus....

John 10.20 says.....that Jesus said, the Father and I are one.
John 14.28 says.....that Jesus said, the Father is greater than I.

If we are to believe the Bible literally....what should we believe....especially when the words are "supposidly" the actual words of Jesus. It sounds to me like he was contradicting himself......

Can someone please explain these things to me...and there are "dozens" of other so called "contradictions" of the Bible quoted on many sites.

Thank you, Rocky

markdrums
Jan 4th 2009, 08:47 AM
Today I "googled" the words.....Bible contradictions....I was amazed at all the things I found....many, many quoted Bible contradictions. So I would like to put to you just two that are an example of what I found and would like to know your answers to them please.

Regarding Jesus....

If we are to believe the Bible literally....what should we believe....especially when the words are "supposidly" the actual words of Jesus. It sounds to me like he was contradicting himself......

Can someone please explain these things to me...and there are "dozens" of other so called "contradictions" of the Bible quoted on many sites.

Thank you, Rocky

Actually. try a Google search on "Bible contradictions answered".
;)

These (and MOST) verses taken singularly, and out of context, can be made to look as if they're contradictory. Notice how far apart they are in scripture.

In John 10:20 Jesus is making it clear that he IS God, and "one" (in essence) with the Father.
John 14:28 - Not a contradiction at all. He's describing the relationship within the Godhead, and the fact that The Father is "greater," in the same way that Men / Fathers are the head of the household in families.
Just as my Wife, my Daughter & I are "one" in essence of being a family, I am also "greater" in the same sense. (Although she'd probably say differently...... LOLOL!) :lol:

As far as Judas is concerned; If he hung himself, then when his body was "lowered/dropped/released etc.... it's very well likely that his bowels would indeed gush out.

:saint:

alethos
Jan 4th 2009, 12:04 PM

Regarding Jesus....

Thank you, Rocky

It is believed that Judas did hang himself, and afterwards the rope broke which then caused him to fall at which point his bowels gushed out... No supposed contradiction there.

When Jesus said in John 10:30; "I and the Father are one. It means they both were one in plan and purpose.

The Father sent His Son, and as the sender is greater than the sent, so in this sense is the Father greater than the Son; and in this sense was the passage understood

Once again no contradictions

Rocking horse
Jan 4th 2009, 01:04 PM
This has really been disturbing me....thanks for your input, and I will indeed seek the "answers"...

Rocky

tt1106
Jan 4th 2009, 01:20 PM
Why has it been disturbing you? Is it your assumption that Satan is doing nothing while Christ's people try to save the lost? Has something happened in your life that makes you doubt your convictions as a Christian?
Do you read the Bible? Seek the answers for yourself. The internet is the internet after all.
Most of these so called contradictions can be easily explained as Alethos so capably and quickly illustrated.

Rocking horse
Jan 4th 2009, 02:25 PM
Why has it been disturbing you? Is it your assumption that Satan is doing nothing while Christ's people try to save the lost? Has something happened in your life that makes you doubt your convictions as a Christian?
Do you read the Bible? Seek the answers for yourself. The internet is the internet after all.
Most of these so called contradictions can be easily explained as Alethos so capably and quickly illustrated.

Hey, back down a bit.....I'm not "assuming" that satan is doing nothing while Christs people try to save the lost" as you put it.

I am just trying to be open minded and look at many things. I have heard that there are contradictions in the Bible....I looked at the internet to see what it says....and I AM...seeing the answers for myself...that's WHY I asked the question and looked up the internet....looking for answers....!!!!

I've also just found a site with "answers" to those "contradictions"...also very interesting and will take some time to read......is that ok with you !!!

moonglow
Jan 4th 2009, 03:04 PM
Actually its good you did this because at some point you will find yourself witnessing to someone that presents these to you and instead of being dumbfounded, confused and flustered, you will have the answers. You won't be taken by surprise and can be confident in answering them.

For every Christian site there is a site attacking whatever they have up...its sad. That evil bible site is one of the most distrubing sites out there because people believe it! They don't check to see if things are in content or not...

The sad thing is far too many Christians are unprepared for these types of attacks so when it happens their faith wavers...they freak out...they start doubting instead of looking for the answers! On this one message board when they allow atheist to challenge (well actually attack) the bible I have seen Christian after Christian walk away from their faith because they lacked bibical knowledge...these were generally new Christians or weak in their faith...or as I said, just lacked knowledge. Why they don't go search out the answers instead of listening to these atheist is beyond me though...

Check out CARM and scroll down to the right hand side and look for the title BIBLE DIFFICULTIES. (http://www.carm.org/)..he also addresses these things too.

The bible tells us to always be ready to give an answer..1 Peter 3:15...

So what you are doing is a good thing. It will strengthen your faith too and make you ready for these hard questions.

God bless

Gregg
Jan 4th 2009, 03:52 PM
Hey, back down a bit.....I'm not "assuming" that satan is doing nothing while Christs people try to save the lost" as you put it.

I am just trying to be open minded and look at many things. I have heard that there are contradictions in the Bible....I looked at the internet to see what it says....and I AM...seeing the answers for myself...that's WHY I asked the question and looked up the internet....looking for answers....!!!!

I've also just found a site with "answers" to those "contradictions"...also very interesting and will take some time to read......is that ok with you !!!

You picked out a couple of dandys. The Judas one got me when I first started seeking. I even thought the answer that I got was...well... a little contrived. Today, I give God the benefit of the doubt. There is so much evidence, both earthly and spiritually that when I get tripped up I believe it is me who is not looking at it correctly. There is a war going on that I really don't see for all that it is. Still, I love to get the answers that satisfies. Someone told me once, that God is not afraid of the truth.

Satan is the one that whispers the lies that make me pause and doubt. God is the one that helps me come through it stronger. I also found that thinking about the definition of paradox is/was helpful to me.

Keep asking, we should never sit in our doubt when we can get answers.

What is that verse about two or more gathered in his name?;)

moonglow
Jan 4th 2009, 04:11 PM
On the Judas one though...people need to realize when a person falls down their guts don't normally just burst open...unless you have been dead for awhile and are bloated...ewwwwwwwwww. A disgusting thought but its true! Ever see a dead animal by the side of the road...after days its very bloated and its stomach is very enlarged...bloated...doesn't take much of an impact for it to burst open.

Bible Difficulties (http://www.carm.org/demo/Bible/difficulties.htm)

Bible difficulties, or apparent Bible contradictions, exist in the Bible and we need to be aware of them and know how to respond to them because the opponents of Christianity often use them in their attempts to discredit Christianity by invalidating the Bible. Sometimes these attacks successfully undermine the faith of Christians who either don't understand the apparent discrepancies and don't realize they are not contradictions, or don't have the resources to deal with them.
Unfortunately, it is not practical in this online school to have you memorize a list of biblical difficulties and their answers. So, CARM recommends that you become familiar with the Bible difficulties section as well as purchase New International Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties. In the mean time, there are some things you need to know to be able to respond properly to the issue of Alleged Bible Difficulties.

* What is a Contradiction? A contradiction occurs when one statement makes another statement impossible when both statements deal with the same topic at the same time. For example, in my right pocket is a set of car keys. In my right pocket there is no set of car keys. Both statements cannot true at the same time. Therefore, to state that both were true is to state a contradiction
If one gospel account says two people went to Jesus' tomb and another says that one went, it is not a contradiction because the accounts do not say that only one went or only two went. If one account said that only one went, then two could not have gone and that would be a contradiction.
One of the most common accounts used as a contradiction is how did Judas die, by hanging or falling down?
o By hanging (Matthew 27:3-8) - "Then when Judas, who had betrayed Him, saw that He had been condemned, he felt remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4saying, "I have sinned by betraying innocent blood." But they said, "What is that to us? See to that yourself!" 5And he threw the pieces of silver into the sanctuary and departed; and he went away and hanged himself. 6And the chief priests took the pieces of silver and said, "It is not lawful to put them into the temple treasury, since it is the price of blood." 7And they counseled together and with the money bought the Potter’s Field as a burial place for strangers. 8For this reason that field has been called the Field of Blood to this day."
o By falling (Acts 1:16-19) - "Brethren, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit foretold by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus. 17"For he was counted among us, and received his portion in this ministry." 18(Now this man acquired a field with the price of his wickedness; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out. 19And it became known to all who were living in Jerusalem; so that in their own language that field was called Hakeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)"

There is no contradiction here at all because both are true. Remember, a contradiction occurs when one statement excludes the possibility of another. What happened here is that Judas went and hung himself and then his body later fell down and split open. In other words, the rope or branch of the tree probably broke due to the weight and his body fell down and his bowels spilled out. Also, notice that Matt. 27:3-8 tells us specifically how Judas died, by hanging. Acts 1:16-19 merely tells us that he fell headlong and his bowels gushed out. Acts does not tell us that this is the means of his death where Matthew does.

* Context. When dealing with opponents who site biblical difficulties, you must always challenge them to look at the verses in context. Very often, the problems disappear when doing this. In Matt. 5:48 Jesus says, "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Sometimes people will quote a verse like this and say that it is an impossibility to accomplish and that the Bible asks you to do impossible things. Therefore, it cannot be from God.1 The answer, of course, is found in the context, Matt. 5:43-48.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.’ 44 “But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you 45 in order that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 “For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax-gatherers do the same? 47 “And if you greet your brothers only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 “Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Notice that the context is dealing with loving all people equally. This is what it means to be perfect. It means to be perfect in loving others and it is a noble thing to strive for. Therefore, this is not speaking about perfection as God is perfect, but it is urging people to love as God loves -- equally.

Assumptions: Sometimes people are looking for contradictions in the Bible and so they will find anything that looks like a contradiction. When this happens, point it out. When a person has misconceptions removed, many things fall into place. So, listen to what they say and see if there are any false assumptions.

Copyist Errors: The fact is that the copies of the biblical manuscripts are not perfect. These copy errors account for several alleged contradictions. For example, how many charioteers were killed by David, 700 or 7000? In 2 Samuel 10:18 it says, 700 but in 1 Chronicles 19:18 it says 7,000. This is an example of a copyist error. Notice how the number is off by a single zero; that is, by a single notation of a digit. According to Alleged Discrepancies of the Bible, by Gleason Archer, page 382, regarding the characters used to designate numbers, "Nun final , was mistaken for dotted Zayin ," would account for the copyist error in the text. Most probably, the correct number is 7,000 charioteers." Therefore, we can admit that there are copyist errors, though minor and infrequent. We must also point out that inspiration deals with the autographs (the original writings), not the copies. We have copies of inspired documents.

Application

When dealing with someone who raised an alleged contradiction, ask the person to document what it is so you can take a look at it. If you can't figure it out right there by looking at the context, admit it and ask if it is okay to get back in touch with the person later. There is nothing wrong with admitting you don't know something and then checking into it. Just make sure you follow up after you get the answer.

Defending the Christian faith means being aware of different arguments against the Christian faith. It also means admitting the reality of copyist errors in the biblical manuscripts. Of course, from the lesson on the Bible's reliability, we know that these copy errors don't affect the truths of the Bible. Therefore, we can trust it.

As you defend the faith, you do so by teaching. In order to do that, you need to know the facts so that you are not caught off guard.

-----------------

Some years ago, a lawyer by the name of Frank Morison wrote a book with the title Who Moved The Stone? He set out with the purpose of disproving the resurrection, of proving that Christ did not really rise from the grave. But the book turned out to be entirely different. It is a searching study of the scriptural story of Christ’s crucifixion, death and resurrection. He makes the unquestionable point that the resurrection is a historical fact. Lawyer-like, he disposes, one after another, of the dozens of theories invented to account for the removal of the body from the tomb. For example, that the gardener took away Christ’s body so that the curious would not trample his flowers, that Joseph of Arimathea did it, because he regretted giving his grave to an acknowledged criminal, that Jesus recovered from a death-like faint on the cross and pushed the stone away Himself.

God bless

Romber
Jan 4th 2009, 05:13 PM
Every single contradiction I have ever ever seen is two scriptures taken way out of context. 90% of them are answered by simple reading the chapter they are located in. The other 10% are normally answered through a detailed look at the hebrew words used, understanding the history/culture of the times, or simply ignorance of the person suggesting the contradictions.

Personally I find contradictions fun to debunk. :D

markdrums
Jan 4th 2009, 08:55 PM
On the Judas one though...people need to realize when a person falls down their guts don't normally just burst open...unless you have been dead for awhile and are bloated...ewwwwwwwwww. A disgusting thought but its true! Ever see a dead animal by the side of the road...after days its very bloated and its stomach is very enlarged...bloated...doesn't take much of an impact for it to burst open.

God bless

Ahhh yes... leave it to Moonglow to point out the grusome details of a bloated carcass!

:lol:

Although it IS a good point. ;)

moonglow
Jan 4th 2009, 09:38 PM
Ahhh yes... leave it to Moonglow to point out the grusome details of a bloated carcass!

What can I say? :cool: Sometimes you can't dance around things as gross as they may be...:rolleyes:

the bible actually has alot of truly gruesome stories in it! I think parts should be rated R for extreme grossest...its about the disgusting stuff people do sometimes...then and sadly now today. But honestly, living in a rural town, we see alot of road kill around here...though the city workers usually do a pretty good job in keeping things cleaned up (not a job I would ever want to have!! :eek:). But sometimes they miss one...and everyday driving by you see the natural decomposition happening...I try to take the scientific approach when seeing such animals...sigh. :cool: So anyway yea, I guess in posts like this there is a benefit for that...:cool:

God bless

threebigrocks
Jan 5th 2009, 01:29 AM
Well, if Judas tossed the silver pieces that evening and then went out and hung himself - it was Passover at the time. Nobody would have touched or gone near a dead body to get him down on the Sabbath. He would have hung there for a few days. It wasn't like Christ's death where they knew it was the Passover, knew He was on the cross and sundown was coming soon. Judas went out, alone, and hung himself.

Rocking horse
Jan 5th 2009, 01:35 AM
Moonglow, thank you for you long and interesting reply. It would have taken you some time to type all that and I really appreciate your efforts and the encouraging words of the others who have told me to keep searching. I'm fine with my walk with Christ....most of the time...but I guess like everyone doubt slips in from time to time. I was not raised to study the Bible in depth, I was raised Catholic and they follow their tradition as much as anything. The Bible is vast and I grew up totally accepting everything I was taught, no one ever questioned anything....now I see people questioning Christianity and it is unusual for me. The church told us what to believe and we believed it, and never even considered questioning it. When I first left the Catholics over 20 yrs ago, I just loved Jesus simply, I still didn't understand the importance of the Bible. I am just coming to see the importance of it now in more recent times.

Thank you again, Rocky

JimC in NM
Jan 5th 2009, 02:29 AM

Realize that if Judas hung himself, it would not have been permissible for any Jew to touch him (a corpse), particularly on the Sabbath, assuming they even knew he was there. Most would have been indoors, and not out roaming around, due to Sabbath restrictions. They most likely would have needed to hire Gentiles to cut him down after the Sabbath. Moonglow's description is probably spot on. I won't go into detail, but I can attest that under some climactic conditions, it doesn't take long for a body to become pretty "unstable", particularly one hung by the neck. And gravity works.
We can imagine all kinds of supposed "contradictions" in the Scriptures, but as has been noted, when taken out of context, you can make a supposed case for all sorts of things. There are those who would love to cause Christians doubt, and they are happy to point out these supposed conflicts. The Scriptures were written by men (divinely inspired, but men nonetheless), and are told from different perspectives, by men with unique life experiences. That is why we have 4 Gospels, not just one, and indeed, Luke's differs significantly from the others. We gain a fuller understanding of Scripture by reading them ALL. When doubts come, dig into the Scripture, Pray, and seek counsel from other Christians, which is exactly what you've done, Rocking horse. May God bless you abundantly in your search for knowledge and understanding.
2nd Timothy 2:15.

kenrank
Jan 5th 2009, 03:42 AM
This has really been disturbing me....thanks for your input, and I will indeed seek the "answers"...

Rocky

I wouldn't let it bother you. Contradictions are found by people who look for them. People who lack the knowledge to understand, or have the desire to understand, the truths that are spoken of in scripture. Rocky, not once have I been stumped by a supposed contradiction. Ok, maybe it has taken months to get the answer, but the Word will always clarify itself to those who belong to God.

Keep in mind, many things are in parables, or spoken in a way as to hide the truth from those who seek not the truth! In your first post you laid out two John verses that "seem" to contradict themselves. Maybe, they are revelation? In any event, watch what John writes later in the gospel:

John 16:25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time will come, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall show you plainly of the Father.

See, Yahushua (Jesus) has been speaking about the Father figuratively, in parables, but a day "shall" (that's future tense) come when he will speak about the Father plainly. So what seems like contradictions is done deliberately, by the Messiah, to hide the truth from them which love it not.

So don't be frustrated...count yourself as blessed for seeing it for what it is!

Peace.
Ken

MLC
Jan 5th 2009, 04:47 AM
Rocky, I commend you for this, because it is excellent to bring this up if it is causing you doubts. I feel that far too many Christians, when we have doubts in certain areas, simply ignore them and say God wrote the word and we shouldn't question it at all. Of course I would say I agree, you should believe God's words as fact, but if you already have doubts what good will it do to simply say, God says this, and to ignore it, and to continue to let the doubts within you linger and be an obstacle to your spiritual growth, because you are afraid other Christians will be judgmental of you for having doubts, or you think God will be angry with you, or whatever other reason. What do us Christians have to fear if we have doubts and seek an answer with a humble and earnest heart? Isn't God truth? If God is truth we have nothing to fear in the area. If the Christian God is not truth then you will only do yourself a service by exposing it for what it is. (Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe our God is truth :saint:, just be sure to remember the whole part about humility, or you will lead yourself down a very bad path!) God has given us Christians the sources we need to find the truth when it comes to our own personal struggles, so confront the lack of knowledge in terms of truth. Let your doubts be answered to bring that wall down in your life. Plus, as someone else said, we must be educated in this area and ready to do our best to answer this question if an unbeliever happens to ask.

Also, to deal with your main post after this little tangent of mine, i'll say this. (By going on a very small tangent :P) When I once had doubt in the same area as you (and more areas), for a good long while I didn't seek the answer because I was afraid of the consequences in certain areas, and to a point i was just lazy, and when i did look into my doubts unfortunately i certainly didn't do it with a humble heart, (and God didn't honor that! That has always been a struggle of mine, arrogance and pride) so my doubts (one of which was bible contradictions) simply continued in the back of my mind. It severely hindered my spiritual growth because I was always saying to myself, hey, what if this entire religion is false since it seems to me it is flawed in so many areas? Am I just wasting my time? This eventually lead me to the point when I came very close to becoming an atheist, (though now a days of course I believe atheism to be outright irrational) until I began actively confronting all of my doubts with humility and a completely open mind, and finding the answers to them. One by one each doubt was cast aside, and since I was humbly seeking truth, I found it in many different ways in which God revealed it to me. The doubts were now gone since I confronted them, and my spiritual growth exponentially progressed.

Anyways, with all tangents aside, (i promise) most bible contradictions are either due to the verses being taken out of context, or a simple translation issue. Out of all of the so called contradictions that i saw, i found that every single one held no weight. (Unlike say the Qur'an, which is absolutely packed with them)

So, Rocky, what I will say to end this is simply, confront any doubts you have and if anyone looks down on you for it, whether atheist, Christian, or anything else, then that is their problem, not yours, so don't care what they think when you are doing the right thing. (And i am not saying that you personally do care, i'm just concluding my tangent :))

God Bless

Rocking horse
Jan 5th 2009, 01:40 PM
The response of the 5th poster to my original post quite annoyed me. Seemed to be a little...."holier than thou" and I got the impression that they thought....maybe if I read the Bible....I would understand more. I do read the Bible, but the Bible is long and for me quite complicated in parts.

However I have been encouraged by all of you other posters. If I can't ask questions on this site....where can I go ?? I was raised to believe everything...never to question...now I question, and make no apologies for it.
I have book marked the site of "answers" and "contradictions" and I will be referring back to them time and time again. I am mostly interested in the NT, at the moment because I find it easier to relate to....yet I know people say that the OT is also just as relevant today as the NT. But I have to take things slowly and at my own pace.

My new years resolution for this year was to become closer to Christ and this is the way I thought I'd start.

Thanks for your answers, Rocky

threebigrocks
Jan 5th 2009, 02:01 PM
If you have more questions, post away and ask them. :)

kenrank
Jan 5th 2009, 02:54 PM
The response of the 5th poster to my original post quite annoyed me. Seemed to be a little...."holier than thou" and I got the impression that they thought....maybe if I read the Bible....I would understand more. I do read the Bible, but the Bible is long and for me quite complicated in parts.

However I have been encouraged by all of you other posters. If I can't ask questions on this site....where can I go ?? I was raised to believe everything...never to question...now I question, and make no apologies for it.
I have book marked the site of "answers" and "contradictions" and I will be referring back to them time and time again. I am mostly interested in the NT, at the moment because I find it easier to relate to....yet I know people say that the OT is also just as relevant today as the NT. But I have to take things slowly and at my own pace.

My new years resolution for this year was to become closer to Christ and this is the way I thought I'd start.

Thanks for your answers, Rocky

Rocky, about 8 years ago, 6 years after being baptized, I backed away from church altogether. There were many things I found confusing, not as much in the Word, but by those who practiced it. So, I backed away and asked God if he was even real. Good starting place I figured if I wanted to start over again. After studying some evolutionary science, and then some biblical archeology, I concluded that indeed, God was real. Then it was time to learn if God existed as the God of the bible, or was the bible man driven? In the end, the process took a couple of years or so, I concluded that God was real and the Word is His. From there, after much prayer, I was moved to try to understand and walk in the ways that those who followed Messiah did. This led me to the Hebrew Roots of our faith.

So in a sense, I came full circle. Many questions answered only because I asked. We must seek truth to find it, prove all things...which means keeping an open mind and asking questions. Not just of man, but of God! He is our Father, he wants us to draw close to him...and we can't unless we ask him whatever questions we can think of. He will answer, though it will be in his time, when he knows we are ready for the answer.

Stay in the Word, pray before you read, pray after you read, meditate and think about that which you have read...and keep asking questions. You are on the right path Rocky.

Peace.
Ken

Rocking horse
Jan 5th 2009, 04:07 PM
Rocky, about 8 years ago, 6 years after being baptized, I backed away from church altogether. There were many things I found confusing, not as much in the Word, but by those who practiced it. So, I backed away and asked God if he was even real. Good starting place I figured if I wanted to start over again. After studying some evolutionary science, and then some biblical archeology, I concluded that indeed, God was real. Then it was time to learn if God existed as the God of the bible, or was the bible man driven? In the end, the process took a couple of years or so, I concluded that God was real and the Word is His. From there, after much prayer, I was moved to try to understand and walk in the ways that those who followed Messiah did. This led me to the Hebrew Roots of our faith.

So in a sense, I came full circle. Many questions answered only because I asked. We must seek truth to find it, prove all things...which means keeping an open mind and asking questions. Not just of man, but of God! He is our Father, he wants us to draw close to him...and we can't unless we ask him whatever questions we can think of. He will answer, though it will be in his time, when he knows we are ready for the answer.

Stay in the Word, pray before you read, pray after you read, meditate and think about that which you have read...and keep asking questions. You are on the right path Rocky.

Peace.
Ken

Thank you for you encouragement Ken.....it helps to know you have been where I am too. I do feel strong in my faith, even if I don't sound it, but I still have to ask questions sometimes. I don't want to be afraid to ask questions for fear of other Christians thinking I'm weak or not a good enough Christian, or not a "proper" Christian if I don't automatically accept what other Christians say I should. I'm almost 58 years old, too old to really care what others think of me....confident enough in myself to ask questions, and that's what I will do till I'm satisfied. I don't think God minds if I ask questions, it doesn't mean I'm not a believer.

Rocky

moonglow
Jan 5th 2009, 04:46 PM
Moonglow, thank you for you long and interesting reply. It would have taken you some time to type all that and I really appreciate your efforts and the encouraging words of the others who have told me to keep searching. I'm fine with my walk with Christ....most of the time...but I guess like everyone doubt slips in from time to time. I was not raised to study the Bible in depth, I was raised Catholic and they follow their tradition as much as anything. The Bible is vast and I grew up totally accepting everything I was taught, no one ever questioned anything....now I see people questioning Christianity and it is unusual for me. The church told us what to believe and we believed it, and never even considered questioning it. When I first left the Catholics over 20 yrs ago, I just loved Jesus simply, I still didn't understand the importance of the Bible. I am just coming to see the importance of it now in more recent times.

Thank you again, Rocky

What I bolded in my reply to you was copied and pasted from the CARM site..if you put your mouse arrow under the title it will light up because its a link you can click on to that site. CARM is a great site for Christians like you! :)

Thanks for explaining your background there. The bible is indeed extremely important because it teaches us about God ...and its His guideline to how to live life book to us, done in love. :)

Yes read the NT first! Get a handle on that one...the NT is for those that follow Christ's teachings...which is why we are called Christians and not Jews..

The OT is important in understanding the things Jesus did more fully as He was a practicing Jews and did quote the OT or referred to it alot. The OT is also important in understanding end time ..for instance, Revelation echo's alot of OT scriptures. Also the OT shows the lives of many just like us and how God interacted with them. There are some Christians that ignore the OT entirely but I think that is a huge mistake...they miss out on understanding so much in the NT for lack of knowledge of the OT.

Yes God wants us to ask questions. :)

Hosea 4:
6 my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge

That is why that verse is in my signature. :)

Good luck on your studies and yes ask away!

God bless

tt1106
Jan 10th 2009, 12:12 AM

I apologize. I did not mean to insult you. I tend to read four forums at once, so I try to get all my answers into 50 words or less. :)
I didn't mean to be curt.

Rocking horse
Jan 10th 2009, 01:50 AM
I apologize. I did not mean to insult you. I tend to read four forums at once, so I try to get all my answers into 50 words or less. :)
I didn't mean to be curt.

Thank you, apology accepted.

:kiss: Rocky

humbled
Jan 10th 2009, 06:47 AM
I ran across an interesting contradiction myself the other day:

Genesis 10.5 From these the coastland peoples spread in their lands, each with his own language, by their clans, in their nations.

Genesis 11.1 Now the whole earth had one language and the same words

The only thing I can think of is the term "whole earth" doesn't mean entire planet (much like "whole world" doesn't literally mean the entire globe when read in context ... but that's another can o' worms). This is loosely supported when going to Thayer's:

'erets

1) land, earth
...a) earth
......1) whole earth (as opposed to a part)
......2) earth (as opposed to heaven)
......3) earth (inhabitants)
...b) land
......1) country, territory
......2) district, region
......3) tribal territory
......4) piece of ground
......5) land of Canaan, Israel
......6) inhabitants of land
......7) Sheol, land without return, (under) world
......8) city (-state)
...c) ground, surface of the earth
......1) ground
......2) soil
...d) (in phrases)
......1) people of the land
......2) space or distance of country (in measurements of distance)
......3) level or plain country
......4) land of the living
......5) end(s) of the earth
......e) (almost wholly late in usage)
.........1) lands, countries
............a) often in contrast to Canaan

Thankfully, I trust that it is my lack of understanding and not an error on God's part! Take that into consideration, Rocking Horse, when you run across SEEMING contradictions in Scripture.

Blessings

Rocking horse
Jan 10th 2009, 09:54 AM
With your help and the help of other posters, I'm beginning to get an understanding of the fact that, things aren't always as they seem. I want to believe that everything in the Bible is true, but I'm not a scholar of the Bible, and unfortunately tend to take things....and people...mostly at face value. But I also question if someone tells me there is something different or wrong going on. In the end I feel quite confused and just go back to thinking...well, Jesus is really all that matters, and so He's all I care about, so what is written is written and if I don't understand it....so be it.

Rocky.

humbled
Jan 10th 2009, 06:18 PM
With your help and the help of other posters, I'm beginning to get an understanding of the fact that, things aren't always as they seem. I want to believe that everything in the Bible is true, but I'm not a scholar of the Bible, and unfortunately tend to take things....and people...mostly at face value. But I also question if someone tells me there is something different or wrong going on. In the end I feel quite confused and just go back to thinking...well, Jesus is really all that matters, and so He's all I care about, so what is written is written and if I don't understand it....so be it.

Rocky.
Well, I certainly understand your sentiment, Rocking. But I would suggest TRYING to understand it. Our faith isn't blind. I get told constantly (and I know I'm not alone) "you have faith and that's fine, I believe science/reason/whatever".

We cannot believe (have faith in) something we don't understand. Surely you can't benefit from something you don't understand. If there is an area of confusion in Scripture, and the Scriptures themselves say that ALL of Scripture is profitable, then there's another contradiction, ya see? Trust in the Spirit to teach you. He will at the right time. But even Christians can struggle with basic doctrines, and surely not all doctrines are understood by all Christians.

Apparent contradictions are nothing more than confusion by the deceiver and enemy of our souls. Fight him by the Spirit.

Rocking horse
Jan 11th 2009, 01:05 AM
The most important thing I understand and believe is that Jesus is the son of God, who became man and died on a cross and rose again so we might enter Heaven. He is my savior, my favourite part of the Bible is....John 3:16 one that I think almost everyone knows. And that is the basis of my life.

Rocky.