PDA

View Full Version : Anybody wanna read the bible in 365 days with me?

yoyoyo
Jan 4th 2009, 07:09 PM
Hey everyone. I just wanted to know if anyone cared to read the whole bible this year. I just bought a book that allows me to finish reading the bible in 365 days for only about 15 minutes a day. i started reading and already there are some questions that i have and i thought it would be good if there was some other people that were reading the same things as me at the same time so that we could message about the bible and by that way hopefully get a better understanding of it. Im on day 3 right now so if anyone would like to do it, just let me know.
P.S. i am very serious about keeping up with my daily reading so i dont plan on stopping anytime soon. later.

Jeremiah333
Jan 4th 2009, 07:15 PM
Does this book have you read Genesis - Revelation, or does is it a different kind of reading plan that skips around and covers everything in a year?

Friend of Jesus
Jan 4th 2009, 08:00 PM
If I'm brutally honest, I don't think reading the Bible in a year is the best plan of action. It can quite easily turn reading the Bible into a ritual or a religous exercise.

It is far better to take a few verses of the Bible each day and apply them to your life. That way the Bible can impact your life far more significantly than reading your daily 6 chapters of Judges or 5 chapters of Leviticus.

If you do this AND read the Bible all the way through in a year, I see nothing wrong with it. But keep in mind God's word is living and don't turn it into a reading exercise.

yoyoyo
Jan 4th 2009, 09:17 PM
Does this book have you read Genesis - Revelation, or does is it a different kind of reading plan that skips around and covers everything in a year?

The book that i purchased skips around and covers everything in a year. Day 1 was Genesis, Psalms 1 and the first couple of verses of Mark. And Day 2 was pretty much the same. There is also a bolded verse for each day that kind of serves as a thought of the day. Ive been really enjoying it. :) You down?

Jeremiah333
Jan 7th 2009, 11:46 PM
If I'm brutally honest, I don't think reading the Bible in a year is the best plan of action. It can quite easily turn reading the Bible into a ritual or a religous exercise.

It is far better to take a few verses of the Bible each day and apply them to your life. That way the Bible can impact your life far more significantly than reading your daily 6 chapters of Judges or 5 chapters of Leviticus.

If you do this AND read the Bible all the way through in a year, I see nothing wrong with it. But keep in mind God's word is living and don't turn it into a reading exercise.

Have you ever read the Bible cover to cover?

I have done that, and I gained incredible insight that I wouldn't have gotten if I hadn't cover to cover.

Jeremiah333
Jan 8th 2009, 12:08 AM
The book that i purchased skips around and covers everything in a year. Day 1 was Genesis, Psalms 1 and the first couple of verses of Mark. And Day 2 was pretty much the same. There is also a bolded verse for each day that kind of serves as a thought of the day. Ive been really enjoying it. :) You down?

I would rather not commit to it right now. My life is so hectic right now. I do try to read the Bible daily, though.
I hope you really enjoy the study you are doing.

Friend of Jesus
Jan 8th 2009, 04:31 PM
Have you ever read the Bible cover to cover?

I have done that, and I gained incredible insight that I wouldn't have gotten if I hadn't cover to cover.

I'm in the process of going through it. But I'm not doing it for the sake of it, instead so I can understand the revelation of God in the Old Testement. Also I'm not reading a strict set number of chapters a day, just reading it because I want to.

There's nothing wrong with reading the Bible cover to cover, as long as it doesn't stop you from taking a few verses each day (ideally from psalms or the new testement) and applying them to your life.

It's one thing to read the the word, but the important thing is to put what you read into action.

yoyoyo
Jan 8th 2009, 05:29 PM

Hey i know exactly what you mean with it becoming just a ritual thing after a while. Im trying for that not to happen though. I have unfortunatley already felt like that just last night. Its not that i dont have the passion to read it, because i do, its just kind of hard understanding it enough to the level where i could apply it to my life. But i am about to buy this bible study tomorrow called "The Book". I flipped through it today and it basically explains the bible in easier words and the themes that it have such as doubt, worry, and etc. Thanks for the feedback.

yoyoyo
Jan 8th 2009, 05:31 PM
I would rather not commit to it right now. My life is so hectic right now. I do try to read the Bible daily, though.
I hope you really enjoy the study you are doing.

Oh thats cool. thanks alot

LoveSave
Jan 11th 2009, 06:43 AM
I'm doing a "read the Bible in a year" thing, but it doesn't sound like the same one you're doing. I got my plan online, and I started on new years, so I figured I'd have it done by 2010. :)

Revinius
Jan 12th 2009, 06:28 AM
Any Bible reading is good Bible reading. In fact, if you do not want to read your Bible, there is a big problem with your Christian walk which you need to take pretty seriously.

I am reading through the Bible atm and i think as long as you dedicate the 'first fruits' of your day to the Lord you are on to a pretty good thing.

Friend of Jesus
Jan 12th 2009, 10:22 AM
I am reading through the Bible atm and i think as long as you dedicate the 'first fruits' of your day to the Lord you are on to a pretty good thing.

Agreed. Prayer and a few chapters of Matthew really helped at 5:00 this morning when I had a spiritual attack.

Rest of the day has gone pretty smoothly