PDA

View Full Version : My Pastor

CjSoReLFoReaL
Jan 4th 2009, 10:50 PM
My Pastor can take three passages from the bible and make an hour long sermon on it....How does he have such insight?he sees meaning in the verses and desribes different things on how to apply such things...and goes on and on...all insightfull things

Im just wondering how he does that i read passages and take it for what it says and the meaning it says.. LIke i dont get anymore more from it...How does he dissects it like he does? truely a gift?

reformedct
Jan 4th 2009, 10:54 PM
I love that form of preaching lol. A good preacher is Matt Chandler at village church you can search village church and download his sermons. This insight comes from God and thorough study of the Scriptures. Sometimes we dont always realize how much is being said in each verse.

However remember that it is not to the glory of that person but to the glory of God that they can do that.

Also it is not important how lenghty but how accurate

judi<>><
Jan 4th 2009, 11:02 PM
It is a real gift, yes... It also takes a lot of prayer, study, prayer, preparation, and prayer....

My husband is a pastor, and we often hear the "oh, it's Sunday... the one day you work..." jokes. I say jokes because the people who say this to us know how hard my husband works, as a pastor, a teacher, and a preacher. They know the hours of time he spends in study, preparation, and prayer -- and that is just for a 20 minute sermon. ;)

Honestly, it is easier to preach for an hour than for 20 minutes, because there is so much in any passage of scripture that God can teach us. Paul once spoke for so long that a young man fell asleep and out of an upstairs window! When the Spirit catches hold of a preacher--Katie bar the door!!

CjSoReLFoReaL
Jan 4th 2009, 11:13 PM
"Paul once spoke for so long that a young man fell asleep and out of an upstairs window! When the Spirit catches hold of a preacher--"

That made me crack up haha

Yah its truely Amazing and i sit back in aww....From god for sure

Dragonfighter1
Jan 4th 2009, 11:44 PM
I read all the responses and agree with all of them too.

That said....

When I attended Liberty Baptists college, (Jerry Falwell fame) the pastoral studies department taught this style of preaching.... AND warned against it too.

Its complicated but essentially they said :"it can be of God or of the devil depending on the what, how and etc.. of the preacher. It was nicknamed "springboard preaching" Take a few verses and bounce up and down on them for a while and then "off you go" like an olympic diver making fantastic turns and entertaining spins for a flamboyant splashy landing that has nothing to do with the real text. So, it can be a spiritually fantastic sermon or an entertaining one... and only those who have their Bible with them and compare the text to the sermon and the references drawn can tell if its spiritual or springboard preaching.

I have preached hour long sermons on 3 verses before... but its very difficult, and resorting to springboard techniques and over using illustrations is a real temptation. In the end I choose to preach a whole chapter at a time just to prevent myself from the temptation....

DF

monergist
Jan 5th 2009, 12:54 AM
I will be giving my first sermon on Jan. 25, and I've already been working on it for two weeks!

It's such a serious act to teach the people of God. I'm humbled by the fact that God has called me to such an important duty.

Sermon preparation is no easy task. If you're preaching on a pericope of scripture, you should know everything you can about it. What was the historical context in which it was written? What do we know about the author? Who was the intended audience? What is the Biblical context of the pericope? After finding all of that out, you also have to consider your audience. Are you preaching to mostly young people? Retired people? What is the ethnic makeup of your congregation, etc.

Fortunately, in my tradition, our sermons rarely go beyond 20 minutes. As someone mentioned earlier, it's dangerous to try to preach on a passage for an hour if the most you can meaningfully speak about it is 25 minutes.

God bless.

Sirus
Jan 5th 2009, 04:33 AM
I read all the responses and agree with all of them too.

That said....

When I attended Liberty Baptists college, (Jerry Falwell fame) the pastoral studies department taught this style of preaching.... AND warned against it too.

Its complicated but essentially they said :"it can be of God or of the devil depending on the what, how and etc.. of the preacher. It was nicknamed "springboard preaching" Take a few verses and bounce up and down on them for a while and then "off you go" like an olympic diver making fantastic turns and entertaining spins for a flamboyant splashy landing that has nothing to do with the real text. So, it can be a spiritually fantastic sermon or an entertaining one... and only those who have their Bible with them and compare the text to the sermon and the references drawn can tell if its spiritual or springboard preaching.

I have preached hour long sermons on 3 verses before... but its very difficult, and resorting to springboard techniques and over using illustrations is a real temptation. In the end I choose to preach a whole chapter at a time just to prevent myself from the temptation....

DFwords of wisdom

thank you!