PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Reading the Bible?

reformedct
Jan 5th 2009, 09:31 PM
What are some good ways to go about reading the Bible?

Just read it straight from Genesis to Revelation?

Or just one book at a time?

What are some ways that you go about reading the Scriptures?

HisLeast
Jan 5th 2009, 09:39 PM
" Frequently " :lol:

BrckBrln
Jan 5th 2009, 09:41 PM
I'm a book by book person. Any book, just read it, you'll eventually get through them all.

HisLeast
Jan 5th 2009, 09:45 PM
I'm a book by book person. Any book, just read it, you'll eventually get through them all.

On a serious note, I'm the same way. I was getting spun in so many circles with devotional books and reading plans and 1000 different mutually exclusive dogmas about the content and meaning of various texts, I just threw the plan straight out the window and resolved to read the whole thing front to back. I decided this just after a fresh reading of the New Testament, and I'm just about to breach NT again.

TrustGzus
Jan 5th 2009, 11:57 PM
Here's a thread (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=149037) where I list suggestions in the opening post.

graceforme
Jan 6th 2009, 12:25 AM
CBN.com has a day-by-day plan on their webpage that just started on Jan. 1 to read through the Bible in a year. I'm not a great advocate of just reading the Bible through in a year, but it seems like a fairly good plan.

My mother read the Bible through each year. After she passed away, I "inherited" her Bible. Inside the back cover, she had recorded each year that she had read though the Bible. She had listed each year, and beside each year had written "Read through the Bible" and in parathesis she had written "except for the names I couldn't pronounce." I miss her so much, but I get a little chuckle each time I see that list.

God Bless.

stillforgiven
Jan 6th 2009, 12:30 AM
Biblegateway.com has three or four different daily reading schedules, including one that is going through the Bible in chronological order, which is the one I've picked for this year.

Biastai
Jan 6th 2009, 03:57 AM
Everyone's different. Find a way that works best for you. The little bit everyday for a year doesn't work for me, but its a great way for others. Adding supplementary resources (such as learning the history of the times between the testaments, or the early church period) for certain parts of the Bible may spark interest a little more. I rearrange the order sometimes which seems to help (prophets chronologically, or Ezra-Nehemiah-Esther at the end of the OT). This year, I'm reading the NT epistles/letters first then Mark-Matthew-Luke-Acts-John. Vary your reading experience to keep things fresh. You may notice new points or ideas this way; it resembles viewing an object from different angles.

graceforme
Jan 6th 2009, 10:30 AM
Biblegateway.com has three or four different daily reading schedules, including one that is going through the Bible in chronological order, which is the one I've picked for this year.

I think the chronological order sounds better than going through from Genersis to Revelation. Since we're only a few days into the new year, I think I'll try that one instead.

Thanks for the suggestion.

God Bless.