PDA

View Full Version : The Blessing of Fear

copper25
Jan 8th 2009, 08:56 PM
Romans 1:18) For the wrath of God is revealed from the heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

How important is it for us to fear God? To have more then just a reverence and respect, but a literal fear of him. Through grace my fears relieved, yea, but it is blessing to fear the Lord. It makes us so much more sensitive to and more conscious of our actions. Could you imagine if the whole world feared God? We would be in an state that far excels the spiritual conditions in today’s would. When we fear the Lord we can really start to excel spiritually because it will make us avoid sin and completely want to stay away from it in our actions, speech, and thought. “And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of then that kill the body, and after that they have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.” So this is not just reverence, but a little fear goes a long way. When we see a verse like (Proverbs 6:16) “These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him” and then we look at verses 17,18, and 19 saying “A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among the brethren.” We will pay closer attention to those abominations and certainly not do them. “Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in his commandments.” “Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD” because that man will seek obedience and to do the will of God and will make the effort big time to avoid defilement.

How can we live right if we don’t fear God? This is why half the people claiming to be Christians are living a Laodicean life style, poor, blind, and naked, spiritually speaking. You can’t be dead to that which you don’t flee from, now can you. “Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.” “O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!” When obedience is coupled with the fear of God it enhances our discipline and makes us live a life more pleasing to God. It is something that when learned is a blessing because we can further more be shaped in the way and mode of thinking that God wants us to be in.

parker
Jan 8th 2009, 10:23 PM
Jesus counselled us to "have faith." Over the centuries, the word faith has come to mean many different things. The original meaning in context as Jesus used it is "trust." It does not mean "be a Christian" or "be sure you are saved because that means you will go to heaven."

It means to trust the Father as Jesus did. Even unto death.

This is my opinion based on history. I am not trying to be a "superior intellect" by bringing it up. We are supposed to love God with all our heart AND mind. So because someone uses their mind sometimes in proclaiming their faith does not make them "secular" or "elite" because of it. I am tired of being mocked because of my ideas.

MacGyver
Jan 8th 2009, 11:42 PM
Romans 1:18) For the wrath of God is revealed from the heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

How important is it for us to fear God? To have more then just a reverence and respect, but a literal fear of him. Through grace my fears relieved, yea, but it is blessing to fear the Lord. It makes us so much more sensitive to and more conscious of our actions. Could you imagine if the whole world feared God? We would be in an state that far excels the spiritual conditions in today’s would. When we fear the Lord we can really start to excel spiritually because it will make us avoid sin and completely want to stay away from it in our actions, speech, and thought. “And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of then that kill the body, and after that they have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.” So this is not just reverence, but a little fear goes a long way. When we see a verse like (Proverbs 6:16) “These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him” and then we look at verses 17,18, and 19 saying “A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among the brethren.” We will pay closer attention to those abominations and certainly not do them. “Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in his commandments.” “Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD” because that man will seek obedience and to do the will of God and will make the effort big time to avoid defilement.

How can we live right if we don’t fear God? This is why half the people claiming to be Christians are living a Laodicean life style, poor, blind, and naked, spiritually speaking. You can’t be dead to that which you don’t flee from, now can you. “Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.” “O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!” When obedience is coupled with the fear of God it enhances our discipline and makes us live a life more pleasing to God. It is something that when learned is a blessing because we can further more be shaped in the way and mode of thinking that God wants us to be in.
Great post!

God wants us to fear Him, not as a tyrant, but as a loving Father who wants nothing but the best for us. As Jean Pierre Campus once said, "We must fear God through love, not love Him through fear."

parker
Jan 8th 2009, 11:49 PM
Great post!

God wants us to fear Him, not as a tyrant, but as a loving Father who wants nothing but the best for us. As Jean Pierre Campus once said, "We must fear God through love, not love Him through fear."
Great point. And if you can REALLY accept that God REALLY loves you (and only through our acceptance of Christ) then we need not fear him at all any more.

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 9th 2009, 12:03 AM
Great point. And if you can REALLY accept that God REALLY loves you (and only through our acceptance of Christ) then we need not fear him at all any more.

There is no fear in love.....

and

Perfect love casteth out fear..

he/she that feareth is not made perfect in love..

because fear hath torment.....

but there is a Fear of the Lord.. which is the beginning of 'wisdom'...

a 'reverencing' fear.. for who He is and His Great Love for His own..

and if you are His.. He no longer calls you 'servants.. but His Friend...

and there is a 'Friend' who sticketh closer than a brother.....

Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

MacGyver
Jan 9th 2009, 12:12 AM
Great point. And if you can REALLY accept that God REALLY loves you (and only through our acceptance of Christ) then we need not fear him at all any more.In an unperfect way I can relate it to my relationship with my son. My son knows that I love him with all my heart and I would not think twice to fight to the death for him. I love to spend time with him and teach him things, play, hike, etc. But he knows that with all the love that I have for him that I will tan his hide if he gets out of line. And the reason I do that is because I love him dearly, and he knows when he crosses that line that ol' dad's "wrath" is coming. But he also knows, and has a respectful fear, which often motivates him to not cross that line because of ol' dad's wrath. And just like the wrath of the loving Father in Heaven, it is for our own good, it can even save our lives as well as our souls.

keck553
Jan 9th 2009, 12:23 AM
Well, this is what I know about fear, and then this is what I know about Godly fear.It's kinda difficult to comment on Godly fear without following up with Godly love, but so be it....

Apologize for the length.

"Praise Adonai!" Blessed is the man who fears Adonai, who delights greatly in His Torah." - Psalm 112:1

"By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His Torah. And His commandments are not burdensome." - 1 John 5:23

There is a relationship between fearing God and keeping His commandments, which the Apostolic Scriptures have not changed.

Perhaps the whole failure here is a misunderstanding of the term 'fear' in Biblical application.

Fear is a most motivating force for all of us. It can strike us and cause us to be frozen in terror, or it can instantly cause us to flee in response to a physical threat. In all regards, fear is something that motivates or makes us ACT in certain ways.

Think about some earthly things or circumstances that have caused fear in your life in the past.

Most often the Hebrew word used for fear in the Bible is 'yare' (Yod-Resh-Aleph). While "yare' is used to describe and emotional response, often in relation to God it is used as a motivation for certain actions. Hebrew letters were originally pictures, yes? The picture of "Yod" is that of a hand (of God). Resh is a head, or chief. Aleph, being the first letter, represents God Almighty. So then the picture of 'yare' shows the hand of God upon man's head, bringing him under His authority. Scripture tells us not to 'yare' man. Now we know why.

But to detail the relationship between fear of God and His commands (or requirements), I refer to these Scriptures:

(Gen 3:9) Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, "Where are you?"
(Gen 3:10) He said, "I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid (yare) because I was naked; so I hid myself."
(Gen 3:11) And He said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?"

then

(Exo 1:15) Then the king of Egypt spoke to the Hebrew midwives, one of whom was named Shiphrah and the other was named Puah;
(Exo 1:16) and he said, "When you are helping the Hebrew women to give birth and see them upon the birthstool, if it is a son, then you shall put him to death; but if it is a daughter, then she shall live."
(Exo 1:17) But the midwives feared (yare) God, and did not do as the king of Egypt had commanded them, but let the boys live.

(Psa 86:11) Teach me Your way, O LORD; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear (yare) Your name.

(Psa 112:1) Praise the LORD! How blessed is the man who fears (yare) the LORD, Who greatly delights in His commandments.

(Mat 1:18) Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit.
(Mat 1:19) And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man and not wanting to disgrace her, planned to send her away secretly.
(Mat 1:20) But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.

Here God tells Joseph not to fear. Hoseph was afraid to do something. What? Why would Joseph fear in taking Mariam to be his wife? What motivated his fear? How did God calm his fears - more importantly change his intentions? Was Joseph's fear a fear of God?

(Luk 12:4) "I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that have no more that they can do.
(Luk 12:5) "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!
(Luk 12:6) "Are not five sparrows sold for two cents? Yet not one of them is forgotten before God.
(Luk 12:7) "Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

(Act 10:1) Now there was a man at Caesarea named Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian cohort,
(Act 10:2) a devout man and one who feared God with all his household, and gave many alms to the Jewish people and prayed to God continually.

What was Cornelius' relationship between fearing God and God's commands?

(Rev 19:5) And a voice came from the throne, saying, "Give praise to our God, all you His bond-servants, you who fear Him, the small and the great."

It became clear to me that fear is treated in Scripture as an emotion, sometimes a negative one. However, the passages I read described something different when described as 'fear of God'. Fearing God isn't something the wicked do, instead the opposite is true - That GOD's people are descrived as those who fear Him. Fearing God is the motivating force for obedience - not a fear of retribution or punishment, but a fear that understands that God is the King of the Universe and as such we rightly and voluntarily should come under His authority.

I fear God because He is the King. I fear Him because He loves me and knows what's best for me. I fear Him because I am His. I fear Him because He has forgiven me. Fear is what motivates me to do all the things He commanded me to do - Love being the utmost -

mikebr
Jan 9th 2009, 12:27 AM
I spent 40+ years afraid of God. I simply cannot fear him any more. How many times are we told to fear not. Someone said 365 times one per day. Fear of the Lord may be the beginning of wisdom but it is not the end of wisdom.

If you do not love the Lord you would do well to fear Him.