PDA

View Full Version : I have a dumb question

fontz
Jan 8th 2009, 09:50 PM
Do you suppose God laughs?

I have no idea why for months this is a re-occuring thought very often in my mind. I don't see scriptural references which is why i'm asking. I guess I feel that God made us as we are and with some of the personalities of brothers and sisters I would love to believe God would chuckle or belly laugh at some of the things i do. Hope this isn't in the wrong forum either I had no idea where to ask it :lol:

Sorry if this is dumb :rolleyes:

matthew7and1
Jan 8th 2009, 10:00 PM

I have no idea why for months this is a re-occuring thought very often in my mind. I don't see scriptural references which is why i'm asking. I guess I feel that God made us as we are and with some of the personalities of brothers and sisters I would love to believe God would chuckle or belly laugh at some of the things i do. Hope this isn't in the wrong forum either I had no idea where to ask it :lol:

There is no such thing as a dumb question. I think I would say yes. I mean, if when we help the least of these we help Jesus, He must laugh too, right? I don't know the answer really. But I am guessing that He probably does.

The Parson
Jan 8th 2009, 10:02 PM
How about lets put this in a simple format.

God created man in His Own Image... Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

What does the image of God mean then? We know that God is one and Jesus along with the Holy Spirit are one with Him. And Jesus (Christ) was one we could behold and He was in the form of man, and He most certainly had emotions. What's the shortest verse in the Bible folks? Jesus wept. He showed emotion, He laughed, He cried, He got aggravated (groaned in the Spirit), He became angry, etc. etc. etc.

So, long story short, yep, I'm pretty sure He laughs... John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. 14:8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

Ezer Kenegdo
Jan 8th 2009, 10:06 PM
:)

The Word says "the JOY of the Lord is our strength"! God's JOY gives us strength!
And it says Jesus was annointed with the Oil of Gladness above all his fellows! Christ must have been the most joyful man that ever lived! Just thinking of that makes me smile. :)

Psa 45:7 Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Yukerboy
Jan 8th 2009, 10:07 PM
It's someone else's tag line or something, but I remember seeing something like this:

I thought God didn't have a sense of humor, but whenever I say I want to do something my way, He won't quit laughing before He gives me a chance to come back to my senses and be obedient.

It was Slug1 I always thought God was without humor but it seems that everytime I say that I want to do it my way... I have to wait for Him to stop laughing before He gives me another chance to be obedient.

fontz
Jan 8th 2009, 10:15 PM
since i don't know Jewish traditions when thinking of Jesus (example Jewish weddings) i love to think of him smiling, and laughing ..not taking away from His holiness of course but the thought of Jesus smiling and laughing brings tears to my eyes..cause i wanna gaze into his eyes and see that smile more than anything :saint:

Gulah Papyrus
Jan 8th 2009, 10:16 PM
It's someone else's tag line or something, but I remember seeing something like this:

I thought God didn't have a sense of humor, but whenever I say I want to do something my way, He won't quit laughing before He gives me a chance to come back to my senses and be obedient.

It was Slug1 I always thought God was without humor but it seems that everytime I say that I want to do it my way... I have to wait for Him to stop laughing before He gives me another chance to be obedient.

Yep, if you want to make God laugh, tell Him about your plans.

I would guess He laughs at me quite a bit.:)

JesusReignsForever
Jan 8th 2009, 11:07 PM
I agree with you guys. I believe God laughs unless where would we get it from we are made in his likeness...:)

karenoka27
Jan 8th 2009, 11:08 PM
I agree with you guys. I believe God laughs unless where would we get it from we are made in his likeness...:)

Excellent point!:hug:

bennie
Jan 8th 2009, 11:20 PM

i am sure God has looked down at me, and smiled. Sometimes even laught. I have done many stupid things. I am sure He just smile, and say, you will get it right my son.

bennie

Bliz
Jan 9th 2009, 01:15 AM
In Psalms 2, the Scriptures tell us that God laughs at the kings of the earth and the rulers who take counsel together against the Lord and against His anointed, so the answer to your question is yes. :)

HisLeast
Jan 9th 2009, 01:22 AM
I believe the whole range of human emotion is just a shadow of something that God experiences. At the very least he must understand them, since he designed us that way.

creedfan
Jan 9th 2009, 02:07 AM
I want to re-make the point that Psalms 2 says "He who sits in the Heavens shall laugh."

Good question though, until I found that verse I wondered the same thing.

student of the Lamb
Jan 9th 2009, 02:33 AM
I think that God also has a great sense of humor. I think of the Philistines capturing the ark of the Lord and taking it to Ashdod. The next morning there was their "god" (idol) Dagon fallen on the grund before the ark of the Lord! They took Dagon and put him back in place, but the following morning when they rose, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the Lord! His head and hands had been broken off and were lying on the threshold; only his body remained.

God showed them that their God couldn't stand up to Him, literally. I can't help but think that God chuckled to Himself and said, "and I am not done with you yet either."

Reedan
Jan 9th 2009, 03:30 AM

Lol, I had that same question too, Well God made us In his Image, So thats where we probaly Got it, And I'm sure Jesus laughed, So God probaly Does as well, God Bless :)

Gregg
Jan 9th 2009, 01:54 PM
Just don't try to slip any knock knock joke past him.....he always knows the answer.

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 9th 2009, 06:17 PM
Yep, if you want to make God laugh, tell Him about your plans.

I would guess He laughs at me quite a bit.:)

Why would God laugh at your plans?

Ta-An
Jan 9th 2009, 07:07 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com

de⋅light

–noun 1. a high degree of pleasure or enjoyment; joy; rapture:
–verb (used with object) 3. to give great pleasure, satisfaction, or enjoyment to; please highly:
–verb (used without object) 4. to have great pleasure; take pleasure

1 Kings 10:9 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=11&CHAP=10&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=9) Blessed be the LORD thy God, which delighted in thee, to set thee on the throne of Israel: because the LORD loved Israel for ever, therefore made he thee king, to do judgment and justice.

Ps 18:19 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=19&CHAP=18&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=19) He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me

So I say yes!! He can laugh fo He can delight in us:pp

alethos
Jan 9th 2009, 08:11 PM
I have a dumb question

Does God laugh?

There is no such things as a dumb question, but dumb answers abound.

Let me post what the Bible says:

Psalm 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens will laugh:

Psalm 37:13 The Lord will laugh

Psalm 59:8 But thou, O Jehovah, wilt laugh

Gulah Papyrus
Jan 9th 2009, 08:12 PM
Why would God laugh at your plans?...as opposed to His plans?;)

Ta-An
Jan 10th 2009, 12:42 PM
There is no such things as a dumb question, but dumb answers abound.

Let me post what the Bible says:

Psalm 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens will laugh:

Psalm 37:13 The Lord will laugh

Psalm 59:8 But thou, O Jehovah, wilt laughLaugh in these verses has nothing to do with joy ;) as the OP questions the act of laughter

fontz
Jan 10th 2009, 05:18 PM
I do appreciate all the replies and the scripture that backed them up.

How wonderful to know the Lord delights in His creation!

Yes, ACCM i was questioning the physical act of laughter..An example..
being a parent and watching your child play in the snow (Chicago here..we're blessed with abundant snow this year, guess i shouldn't have complained last year we had none and i wanted more :lol: ) they aren't even aware you are watching them, but as you see and hear their laughter and joy well the feelings just make your heart feel so full of joy and bubble over and of course you laugh with joy and delight. I believe it must be the same way for God, of course on a much grander scale of course. :D

shawn_2828
Feb 10th 2009, 03:48 AM

I would have to say yes. I know that he laughs at me all the time. God can be grieved, so that means that he has emothions.

Jesus cryed so that means that he can laugh. Jesus got angry, sad, so he has emotions.

Can you imagine someone who can cry, get mad, but can't laugh.

So, if God can create the universe with his spoken words, then I know that he can laugh.