PDA

View Full Version : seven churches which are in Asia

Partaker of Christ
Jan 9th 2009, 12:20 AM
Rev 1:4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is.

Why the seven churches in Asia?

Could it be that at this time Jerusalem had been destroyed?

markedward
Jan 9th 2009, 02:03 AM
I fail to see how John addressing seven churches meant that Jerusalem was destroyed by the time he was writing. Where's the logic that connects the two thoughts?

markdrums
Jan 9th 2009, 04:27 AM
Rev 1:4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is.

I don't think so...
Reason being, If Jerusalem had already been destroyed, just as Christ prophesied, John would most certainly have mentioned it. (for a couple reasons.)
1- To confirm the fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy.

2- The temple / sacrificial system was a key pillar in the identity of the Jewish faith. When it was destroyed, they lost the biggest part of their tradition, identity & culture. It was soooo incredibly devastating to them, that they STILL have never regained that part of their religion. :hmm:

Something of that magnitude would not have been left out of Revelation.

Make sense?
;)

jeffweeder
Jan 9th 2009, 09:54 AM

I think it possible.

Why isnt the Church in Jerusalem addressed?

The book is for his servants/Church,in his hand, who share in the tribulation, to show them what must soon take place.

Jerusalem Church, was where the tribulation started, ........so if it was still existent, it would have been addressed.

Then again, you had Churches in Greece, that are not addressed either, that existed whether it was written pre or post 70 AD.

modanufu
Jan 9th 2009, 05:13 PM

Of course Jerusalem had been destroyed in the time that John had his visions. Reliable tradition says so and there is no reason to disbelieve it.

But it doesn't follow from the seven churches. John had his centre in Ephesus and if you look at a biblical atlas you'll see that all those seven churches were situated along the same long road through Asia Minor. They were the churches John ministered to at that time. He felt responsible for them.

Kind regards,

Dik

Partaker of Christ
Jan 10th 2009, 12:08 AM
I fail to see how John addressing seven churches meant that Jerusalem was destroyed by the time he was writing. Where's the logic that connects the two thoughts?

Of course you fail to see.

That is why I said "could it be"

Since I believe that Revelation was written after AD70, it would seem logic to my view.

bennie
Jan 10th 2009, 02:35 AM
I don't think so...
Reason being, If Jerusalem had already been destroyed, just as Christ prophesied, John would most certainly have mentioned it. (for a couple reasons.)
1- To confirm the fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy.

2- The temple / sacrificial system was a key pillar in the identity of the Jewish faith. When it was destroyed, they lost the biggest part of their tradition, identity & culture. It was soooo incredibly devastating to them, that they STILL have never regained that part of their religion. :hmm:

Something of that magnitude would not have been left out of Revelation.

Make sense?
;)

hi markdrums.

you made this point in a different post to me a while back.
40 years after the death of Jesus is a long time. At this point or later when John wrote this book, the temple probably had no meaning for him anymore. John knew for a fact that sacrifices in the temple would save not one person. John has preaching this msg at that time for 40+ years to all the churches he preached to. They would of had the picture by now. why should he mention something that has no meaning what so ever the Christians. Remember how quikly a generation forgets!?

bennie

MacGyver
Jan 10th 2009, 02:16 PM
There is another way to look at it, Nicholas of Lyra, as well as many other ancient commentators says that the number 7 signifies perfection and it was meant to be the whole Church.

John to the 7 churches. This “7” is understood as the Universal Church established in the world. St. Gregory says in Homily 25, “Because in 7 days all time is comprehended; the number 7 is a proper figure for the whole. [Nicholas of Lyra Commentary on Rev.]