PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had an angel appear before them?

chad
Jan 9th 2009, 01:34 AM
Has anyone had an angel or the Lord Jesus Christ appear to them in a vision or visitation?

If so, what did the angel or Jesus look like?

godsgirl
Jan 9th 2009, 01:41 AM
No, but Jesus appeared to me when He baptised me in the Holy Spirit.

chad
Jan 9th 2009, 03:21 AM
What did Jesus look like?

freckletoe2
Jan 9th 2009, 03:27 AM
I had a friend who was terminally ill with cancer :(, and her Dad told me of a story that several days before she passed away she hadnn't moved at all the whole day, but anyway, all of the sudden she got up and was looking up and she wasn't saying anything but her mouth was moving and it looked as if she was arguing with someone (maybe an angel?). Just after that, her sister saw a white figure in the corner of her eye. So yeah, I believe she was visited by an angel. Bless her soul

godsgirl
Jan 9th 2009, 11:59 AM
What did Jesus look like?

Dressed like you would imagine-long robe, with an over robe over it-sandals on His feet and nail scars in His hands-I did not look at His face-too humbling to be in His presence.

daughter
Jan 9th 2009, 01:48 PM
My husband saw Jesus before he died. He realised that he was standing next to someone who was keeping him upright, He had his arm round him. Then my husband turned and saw Jesus. He said He looked like a "middle Eastern dude", with "ringlets" hanging before His ears. Bearded, longish hair, brown skin. But when he tried to describe Jesus' eyes, he couldn't, he said they were beautiful, but he couldn't tell you what colour they were. And when some joker asked him if Jesus was wearing shoes or not, Neil said He was bare foot, but His feet "shone."

I saw an angel a few weeks before my husband died. He was guarding the door in the hospital side room. He was made of light, and I'm afraid I can't do a good job of describing him. He was as tall as the doorway, and had wings outspread like a canopy, and a drawn sword. He was facing the door, like a man on guard. When my son came through the door the angel gathered himself upwards to allow my son to pass, and strangely my son said, "thankyou", even though he hadn't seen anything.

chad
Jan 9th 2009, 09:27 PM
Hi Daughter,

The reason I ask is that we have no real description of what Jesus looked like from the New Testament. We only have a description of his transfigured body at the transfiguration (Mt 17:2) and in the book of Revelation (1:11-18).

We have art works painted by artists throughout history of what people thought Jesus looked like, but no one really knows what Jesus looked like.

So I was thinking that if a person had seen Jesus in a vision or visitation, then maybe they could get a sketch artist to do a drawring or picture, then we could solve the mystery of what Jesus looked like.

Chad :rolleyes:

My husband saw Jesus before he died. He realised that he was standing next to someone who was keeping him upright, He had his arm round him. Then my husband turned and saw Jesus. He said He looked like a "middle Eastern dude", with "ringlets" hanging before His ears. Bearded, longish hair, brown skin. But when he tried to describe Jesus' eyes, he couldn't, he said they were beautiful, but he couldn't tell you what colour they were. And when some joker asked him if Jesus was wearing shoes or not, Neil said He was bare foot, but His feet "shone."

I saw an angel a few weeks before my husband died. He was guarding the door in the hospital side room. He was made of light, and I'm afraid I can't do a good job of describing him. He was as tall as the doorway, and had wings outspread like a canopy, and a drawn sword. He was facing the door, like a man on guard. When my son came through the door the angel gathered himself upwards to allow my son to pass, and strangely my son said, "thankyou", even though he hadn't seen anything.

uric3
Jan 10th 2009, 04:46 AM
I know from the Bible we can get an idea of what he looked like. One thing we know is that as a man he was not attractive... probably a homely fellow or perhaps even ugly. We know this from Isa 53:2

"For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him."

We also know that is very doubtful that he had long hair. Because we see in 1st Cor 11:14

"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?"

If it states its a shame for a man to have long hair its probably highly unlikely that Jesus has long hair.

So from that we can conclude that he was a non-attractive short haired man... I'm sure there is more verses we can look at but these are the two that come to mind.

steelerbabe
Jan 10th 2009, 05:03 AM
When my daughter was two she began talking about the angel that was visiting her in her room. He happened on several occasions and Grace described the angel as having long hair, white night gown, and gold around them and shining like the sunshine. Never spoke to her but she said he/she did smile at her. By the way, her room was a chapel/alter that a retired preist used in his home.

thepenitent
Jan 10th 2009, 06:50 AM
I had a friend who was terminally ill with cancer :(, and her Dad told me of a story that several days before she passed away she hadnn't moved at all the whole day, but anyway, all of the sudden she got up and was looking up and she wasn't saying anything but her mouth was moving and it looked as if she was arguing with someone (maybe an angel?). Just after that, her sister saw a white figure in the corner of her eye. So yeah, I believe she was visited by an angel. Bless her soul

One night I was listening to a cancer physician/psychologist on the radio who prepared terminally ill cancer patients for death and had comforted over 5000 people in their last days. He said the vast majority reported seeing an angel in their last days on their deathbed. He said after he had heard this same story in very identical details a few hundred times he had to consider it real and not a delusion. It turned him to Christ. I told my wife about this the next day and she told me she had seen the same thing happen to her mother the day before she died of breast cancer. She was with her mother in the hospital room and her mother looked up toward the ceiling and began talking to someone and asked my wife if she saw the angel. This was the first time my wife had ever told anyone about it because she thought her mother was just delerious on the pain medication.

daughter
Jan 10th 2009, 12:23 PM
I know from the Bible we can get an idea of what he looked like. One thing we know is that as a man he was not attractive... probably a homely fellow or perhaps even ugly. We know this from Isa 53:2

"For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him."

We also know that is very doubtful that he had long hair. Because we see in 1st Cor 11:14

"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?"

If it states its a shame for a man to have long hair its probably highly unlikely that Jesus has long hair.

So from that we can conclude that he was a non-attractive short haired man... I'm sure there is more verses we can look at but these are the two that come to mind.
Depends what was considered culturally "long" in those days. Shoulder length may have been considered "short", "long" could have been anything past the shoulders.

Paul grew his hair long on at least one occasion, because of a vow (he cut it off later) so we can safely assume that culturally "long" meant something different to first century Jews than it does to 21st century Western Christians.

shawn_2828
Feb 10th 2009, 03:52 AM
Has anyone had an angel or the Lord Jesus Christ appear to them in a vision or visitation?

Yes, but it was a picture that I took. I was watching tv and I was listening to a preacher and I said a prayer.

After I taught that I saw something so I picked up my camera phone. Well, I did not notice it until days later. But I looked at the phone and their was a face. I could see the hair, nose, eyes, and everything. The face was near a light, but inside the lights beem if that makes since.

So, yes, I think that it was an angel.

tango
Feb 10th 2009, 10:33 AM

I've had a few visions in which beings I assume were angels were present. Mostly they showed me concepts rather than the kind of detail that might be present in a photo.

Generally they looked largely like men, although dressed in white and with wings, radiating white light. Often they carried a large sword, but not always.

CommanderRobey
Feb 10th 2009, 12:31 PM
Depends what was considered culturally "long" in those days. Shoulder length may have been considered "short", "long" could have been anything past the shoulders.

Paul grew his hair long on at least one occasion, because of a vow (he cut it off later) so we can safely assume that culturally "long" meant something different to first century Jews than it does to 21st century Western Christians.
We cannot say that Paul grew his hair long. The Word of God is silent on how long Paul's hair was during the time of his vow. We also do not know how long his vow lasted and at what speed his hair was growing.

I cut my hair only once every three months and then it is only a trim. My hair does not grow fast at all.

Scripture does not tell us what kind of vow Paul made. We know that when on took a Nazarite vow, one did not shave his head, but Scripture does not say the vow Paul took was a Nazarite vow, so we cannot just assume it was.

I might add that the normal Nazarite vow lasted no more than 30 days. Samson was a Nazarite for life, not because he made a vow, but because his mother was told he would be. God made him separate and holy unto him.

HankZ
Feb 10th 2009, 01:15 PM
About 4 years ago, my family and I lost our home to a fire in the town of Junction City Wisconsin. Junction City has a population of about 350 people and everyone knows everyone. On top of that my dad owned the only restraunt in town at which I freaquently helped and personnally knew most everyone in the local area. It is a very small town 15 miles away from any real town. My daughter(8) was in school, my wife at work and my youngest was at day care. As the blaze was at it's fearsest, flames were liking the trees 30+ feet over the top of the 2 1/2 story house. There came a very friendly gentelman who told me when we wanted our cat, he was 2 doors down at a neighbors. He said he heard the cat scratching at the front door and let him out. I never saw this man before this and I never saw him again after this. Here is where it gets wierd, 10 minutes after this conversation, a fireman is standing at the door asking if I had a key. I told him it was open as a guy just got my cat and he informed me that the door was not only locked, but also dead bolted. The first thing you would think is that he used another door, but without too many details, I will assure you, he had to use the same door. No one seen the guy and the neighbor who had the cat didn't know who dropped him off.
The pastor from our church, being a very good friend picked my daughter up from school. As she walked up to me her first question was, "Where is Brandy?" I was able to tell her that although her bedroom and everything else she held dear was burned into useless ash, her cat that she had loved for years had survived the jire because of a gentalmen who we have never been able to thank.

This took place with 38 fire fighters, 16 fire vehicles from 9 fire departments. The firemen surrounding the house and every neighbor in the area had come to watch and no one could recall the gentalman going to the front door. I believe God sent an angel to save the cat for my daughters sake.

D in Georgia
Feb 10th 2009, 01:47 PM
Hebrews 13:2
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. NIV

Many of us have probably seen angels. I believe that they could look like ordinary people. Or they might serve the Lord in their invisible spirit form.
They are created by God for a purpose and I think it is important to remember that God is the only omnipresent, omnipotent one. D

Some good info on angels including scripture.
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-acb/acb-t005.html

groovemongrel
Feb 10th 2009, 05:44 PM

That would have been awesome!! I wish he'd appear to me in a physical way.

Thaddaeus
Feb 10th 2009, 07:40 PM
We cannot say that Paul grew his hair long. The Word of God is silent on how long Paul's hair was during the time of his vow. We also do not know how long his vow lasted and at what speed his hair was growing.

I cut my hair only once every three months and then it is only a trim. My hair does not grow fast at all.

Scripture does not tell us what kind of vow Paul made. We know that when on took a Nazarite vow, one did not shave his head, but Scripture does not say the vow Paul took was a Nazarite vow, so we cannot just assume it was.

I might add that the normal Nazarite vow lasted no more than 30 days. Samson was a Nazarite for life, not because he made a vow, but because his mother was told he would be. God made him separate and holy unto him.

not over looking the fact that from birth to say 30 years old it would be safe to say that Samson had long hair and God still was able to use him in a mighty way.

Jud 14:5Then went Samson down, and his father and his mother, to Timnath, and came to the vineyards of Timnath: and, behold, a young lion roared against him.Jud 14:6And the spirit of the LORD came mightily upon him, and he rent him as he would have rent a kid, and he had nothing in his hand: but he told not his father or his mother what he had done.

chad
Mar 24th 2009, 07:29 AM
It's funny that you should mention this daughter, in my bible reading today of Psalms 34, vs7 in particular says 'The angel of the lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.'

When I read this, and all of Psalms 34 I was encouraged. I especially liked verses 12-15.

(Psa 34:12 NIV) Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days, (13) keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.(14) Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. (15) The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry;

daughter
Mar 24th 2009, 09:11 AM
About 4 years ago, my family and I lost our home to a fire in the town of Junction City Wisconsin. Junction City has a population of about 350 people and everyone knows everyone. On top of that my dad owned the only restraunt in town at which I freaquently helped and personnally knew most everyone in the local area. It is a very small town 15 miles away from any real town. My daughter(8) was in school, my wife at work and my youngest was at day care. As the blaze was at it's fearsest, flames were liking the trees 30+ feet over the top of the 2 1/2 story house. There came a very friendly gentelman who told me when we wanted our cat, he was 2 doors down at a neighbors. He said he heard the cat scratching at the front door and let him out. I never saw this man before this and I never saw him again after this. Here is where it gets wierd, 10 minutes after this conversation, a fireman is standing at the door asking if I had a key. I told him it was open as a guy just got my cat and he informed me that the door was not only locked, but also dead bolted. The first thing you would think is that he used another door, but without too many details, I will assure you, he had to use the same door. No one seen the guy and the neighbor who had the cat didn't know who dropped him off.
The pastor from our church, being a very good friend picked my daughter up from school. As she walked up to me her first question was, "Where is Brandy?" I was able to tell her that although her bedroom and everything else she held dear was burned into useless ash, her cat that she had loved for years had survived the jire because of a gentalmen who we have never been able to thank.

This took place with 38 fire fighters, 16 fire vehicles from 9 fire departments. The firemen surrounding the house and every neighbor in the area had come to watch and no one could recall the gentalman going to the front door. I believe God sent an angel to save the cat for my daughters sake.That's a lovely story, and I believe you are correct. We do know that God listens to the prayers of animals, and that they instinctively pray, by the way (it says so in Job). So the man who saved the cat could have been literally telling the truth, in some sense, when he said the cat had been scratching at the door of his house. What I mean is, if Brandy did the instinctive animal thing of calling out for help, or "scratching at heaven's door", I don't see why an angel wouldn't save her.

Of course, some folks will think I'm a sentimentalist, but I've seen such weird things around animals that I'm sure God looks after them.